Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Keep my AAdvantage miles from expiring if fly using other’s miles? (No)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage

Can I keep my AAdvantage miles from expiring if fly using my wife's miles for the purchase of the ticket?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Not yours, I’m afraid. She can extend her miles by causing account activity by purchasing you an award.

Also see here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...an-flying.html for other ways of extending AA miles’ longevity. There are easy ways of extending your miles’ life.
Antarius likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:55 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Just enroll in the AAdvantage dining program and buy lunch with a registered CC at a participating restaurant. 3 days later, your miles will have their life extended for 18 months.
Antarius and JDiver like this.

Last edited by roberto99; Feb 3, 2019 at 8:34 pm Reason: spelling
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by roberto99
Just enroll in the AAdvantage dining program and buy lunch with a registered CC at a participating restaurant. 3 days later, your miles will have their life extender 18 months.
AAdvantage shopping is another good way to create account activity.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by knit-in
AAdvantage shopping is another good way to create account activity.
I've extended miles by as little as (a) Buying a cup of coffee at the right Burger King (one participating in AA Dining) or buying a $3 box of cookies from Walmart.com via the shopping portal. In fact, I even forgot to pick up the cookies and they refunded the money but I kept the 3 miles!
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
AA shopping and s so easy,
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All the above work when the account owner lives in US.

We dont know where the poster lives, he may not have such options if he does not reside in US.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Happy

We dont know where the poster lives, he may not have such options if he does not reside in US.
Then it’s on the OP to tell us,
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:47 am

No need to live in the US to use the eShooping portal. I’ve used it plenty of times.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Are we sure we are answering the right question? The OP asked “Can I keep my AAdvantage miles from expiring if fly using my wife's miles for the purchase of the ticket?” (Bolding mine)

I read it as the OP’s own mles are expiring and he wants to know if he flies on an award ticket booked using his wife’s miles, will that extend the life of his own miles, i.e. just because he is the one whois actually flying. The answer to that is no. There is no activity in his own account that is generated by him flying on an award ticket booked using his wife’s miles.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by Happy

OP is welcome to ship me the bickies!

Any activity extends the miles. It is not like some FF programs where there is an actual time limit.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Djokison
No need to live in the US to use the eShooping portal. I’ve used it plenty of times.
Ship To can be overseas?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Finkface
Are we sure we are answering the right question? The OP asked “Can I keep my AAdvantage miles from expiring if fly using my wife's miles for the purchase of the ticket?” (Bolding mine)

I read it as the OP’s own mles are expiring and he wants to know if he flies on an award ticket booked using his wife’s miles, will that extend the life of his own miles, i.e. just because he is the one whois actually flying. The answer to that is no. There is no activity in his own account that is generated by him flying on an award ticket booked using his wife’s miles.
That is why we assume it is HIS AA miles will expire, therefore the suggestions on how to keep his account alive.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by roberto99
Just enroll in the AAdvantage dining program and buy lunch with a registered CC at a participating restaurant. 3 days later, your miles will have their life extender 18 months.
I'm not a fan of the privacy policy for dining. I'm sure this is all covered in the thread linked, but I like Lowes.com or Walmart in store pick up of cheap items like light bulbs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.