Community
Wiki Posts
Search

first class upgrade & status downgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:19 am
Original Poster

first class upgrade & status downgrade

I'm currently executive plat and Feb 1st I'll have no status. I have flights on February that the upgrades to 1st class have been automatically requested. As I lose status, will these upgrade requests be cancelled as well? I know this must be a dumb question, but I wonder if AA would honor the requests as they were made when EP.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Yes, in general once you go from EXP to no status the upgrade shouldn't be honored. Possibly you might get lucky considering how sometimes AA's technology is a bit backwards. Also, even if the upgrade clears once you go to check in you might be prevented from upgrading, in the way a GLD or PLT would not be able to check in with the upgrade without the sufficient number of stickers in their account. If are traveling more now you might ask AA about a GLD or PLT challenge.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
<redacted quote of a deleted post>

I think the OP's question is reasonable and does not come off as a DYKWIA.

Also, the OP is entitled to retain some benefits that they received at the time of booking, specifically, their checked baggage allowance will stay at 3 bags at 70 lbs each as long as the ticket isn't reissued. Also free MCE seats would be retained.

Last edited by JY1024; Feb 4, 2020 at 8:45 pm Reason: redacted quote of a deleted post
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:23 pm

Maybe I missed this but in the"old days" when you lost a level of status you dropped to the next lower level for a year. In this case the op should go to Plat for a year?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Like a lot from the old days soft landings are gone.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:18 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Like a lot from the old days soft landings are gone.
This was a bit suprising to me, as I just came back to frequent flying, after several years gone. Such a kick in the <redacted>. Dropping from EXP, straight to nothing.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 31, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by genotonda
This was a bit suprising to me, as I just came back to frequent flying, after several years gone. Such a kick in the <redacted>. Dropping from EXP, straight to nothing.
The old days are long gone with the former frequent flyer programs being only a shell of what they were. AA doesn't care what you did in the past they only care about $$ spent moving forward. They, and others, can afford to be so cocky when there is only a handful of airlines left, a good economy, and in general more people flying.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
“Soft landings” from status tier loss was last in effect in 2013. There is no soft landing. One might be able to buy back status. Or not, if one didn’t fly much.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:55 pm

Thanks Doug. Hope you enjoy your bonus.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
That is when lifetime kicks in.

After retirement it is nice,,
JDiver, Daze and E55 like this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
FWIW, I flew today, and all my boarding passes still say EXP on them and are letting me board with the EXP group.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by josmul123
FWIW, I flew today, and all my boarding passes still say EXP on them and are letting me board with the EXP group.
There are occasional good things about AA Information Technology. Flights booked whilst at one status tier may not change status information if the passenger’s status changes by the time the flights are taken. That’s good if you lose status, not good if you’ve moved up status tiers (in which case one can call or possibly update it online by removing the frequent flyer number, saving, and adding the FFN again.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Remember, folks, frequent flyer programs and similar "loyalty" programs are not in place to reward past behavior, but to incentivize future behavior.

There are lots of reasons why a person may fly at EXP levels for years, then drop down to sub-Gold: Retirement, health issues, expanding family, job change, etc.

Why should the airline provide perks for those folks? There's no future in "rewarding" people who will be sub-Gold in the immediate future.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
But the soft landing incentivizes people who have had a temporary reduction in flying to stay with the airline. If you go back to zero, the FF program offers very little reason to stay with the airline if the travel reduction was temporary. If you're starting from zero, you can just as easily start from zero on DL or UA.
Daze, makfan, IndyHoosier and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Yeah, it does kind of stink to feel that one down year makes you a nobody after 10 years of being in the top tier.

What management can't take away is the personal relationships with people like the SFO AAngels. I know I'll still be treated nicely by them whether I'm a non-status passenger or EXP, even if I now have a snowball's chance of an upgrade clearing. Of course, even they will eventually retire.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.