first class upgrade & status downgrade

Old Feb 4, 2020, 5:51 pm

My 4 BPs for flights this week still say EXP and I cleared upgrades on all. Yay for soft landings at PP, J/K.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by makfan
Yeah, it does kind of stink to feel that one down year makes you a nobody after 10 years of being in the top tier.

What management can't take away is the personal relationships with people like the SFO AAngels. I know I'll still be treated nicely by them whether I'm a non-status passenger or EXP, even if I now have a snowball's chance of an upgrade clearing. Of course, even they will eventually retire.
10 years of top tier should at least give 1 MM status on the US legacies. So while it's potentially a pretty big drop, it's not quite down to nobody. Flying Blue awards members who have been top tier Platinum for 10 consecutive years with Platinum for Life status. Sounds great until you think about the mid-tier loyalty members who get awarded nothing in Flying Blue no matter how long they are loyal. One could argue that they are also pretty valuable customers. On the US legacies, being mid-tier for 20 years would at least generally get you to 1MM status and give you something to strive for. All programs seem to have weaknesses in certain areas and trying to capture every corner case would likely make them excessively complex. Don't really see the point in obsessing over them.

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 4, 2020 at 8:43 pm
Old Feb 4, 2020, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
So I dropped from PPRO to Plat. My upgrades cleared at T-24 hours on both flights, and my boarding pass AND the FAs first class seat charting show me as PPRO. That being said, my account was debited for the needed stickers required of the upgrade which is consistent of a Plat and not of a PPRO.

My upgrade request on DCA-LGA yesterday did not clear and while this is guess work, my positioning on the UG list was consistent with what a Plat would have been: #9 out of 22 (I've always been a high EQD plat).
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
So I dropped from PPRO to Plat. My upgrades cleared at T-24 hours on both flights, and my boarding pass AND the FAs first class seat charting show me as PPRO. That being said, my account was debited for the needed stickers required of the upgrade which is consistent of a Plat and not of a PPRO.

My upgrade request on DCA-LGA yesterday did not clear and while this is guess work, my positioning on the UG list was consistent with what a Plat would have been: #9 out of 22 (I've always been a high EQD plat).
Yes I think it takes a bit for all of AA's systems to catch up. Gotta love AA technology. Of course AA makes sure the important aspects to their bottom line (use of stickers versus complimentary) are the ones that work properly.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Yes I think it takes a bit for all of AA's systems to catch up. Gotta love AA technology. Of course AA makes sure the important aspects to their bottom line (use of stickers versus complimentary) are the ones that work properly.
Pretty consistent on UA & DL as well. There is just so much time, effort & money it is worth to strip people of something such as an UG, It is largely revenue neutral.

Where this becomes an issue is when there are changes, whether voluntary or involuntary. A ticket reissue will pick up pretty much all aspects of status including booting people out of MCE freebies.

For those who bemoan the loss of soft landings -- coming up on 7 years ago, so hardly recent -- it's also worth remembering that UG's and the like are zero sum games. If you were an EXP and get a seat as a soft landing, somewhere there is a newly-minuted EXP who did not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.