Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA MD-80 trip - 2019 routes and final flight

AA MD-80 trip - 2019 routes and final flight

Old Feb 1, 19, 8:02 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec
Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
Come on up to OKC. Most people are pleasantly surprised when they visit. I guess people don't expect much because it's Oklahoma, IDK. And if you're into basketball, our Thunder seem to be getting it together...
Agree, OKC isn't bad at all. I am surprised to see so few MD80 flights here though, I figured we'd be one of the last ones to have them. My last few flights have all been on 738s.
Old Feb 1, 19, 11:30 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bchandler02 View Post
Agree, OKC isn't bad at all. I am surprised to see so few MD80 flights here though, I figured we'd be one of the last ones to have them. My last few flights have all been on 738s.
Yeah down to 1 S80 flight per day now I believe. Sad!
Old Feb 1, 19, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT; DL GLD
Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
Yeah down to 1 S80 flight per day now I believe. Sad!
Used to be 7-8 a day. Today alone OKC has 738, A319, CR7, CR9, and the lone S80. Add in E-Jets to LAX and PHL and I imagine OKC has more narrow body types going to it than any other American destination of similar traffic.

And as JDiver said, the last comfortable 1st class seats in the narrow body fleet. Sad to see them go as the polished Super 80 is AA.
Old Feb 2, 19, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by arc727 View Post
I'm really surprised all the MD80s are gone from the DFW-ORD route, as that's the only aircraft that was ever used
+1 Did so many of those 802 mile flights (mostly in coach because I didn’t want to use two stickers) when connecting from the west coast.

Last edited by _kurt; Feb 2, 19 at 9:07 am
Old Feb 2, 19, 3:59 am

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
Last MD-83 Flight

If I were a betting man I would guess the last flight on the MD-83 will likely be a DFW-STL-DFW flight, given that there is a soon to close (as I understand it) pilot base in STL for the MD-83 as well as perhaps a bit of an historical hat tip to STL as the historical home to these former TWA birds (sans 1).
Old Feb 2, 19, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Though Iíve left AA, the Super 80 will always be special to me. Itís a great aircraft and one that has been very reliable (at least for me flights). Luckily we still see a few to DFW here at MCI..

Iíve always enjoyed this Super 80 documentary...
JDiver, Daze and enviroian like this.
Old Feb 2, 19, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
I flew the mad dog this week to Tulsa and back. Tulsa, by the way, is a neat city with GREAT restaurants. Hotels are sketchy except the Ambassador hotel downtown (Autograph collection I believe).
Old Feb 2, 19, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by canuckshark View Post
I flew the mad dog this week to Tulsa and back. Tulsa, by the way, is a neat city with GREAT restaurants. Hotels are sketchy except the Ambassador hotel downtown (Autograph collection I believe).
People rag on Tulsa, it's a nice little downtown with good eats. And it's so much cheaper to see a concert there than anywhere else. Lol.
Old Feb 2, 19, 10:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
One of the MD80 holdouts here at CMH is AA1492 which today was serviced by the A319. Then I noticed tomorrow AA1257 and AA1492 are both serviced by the MD80. AA1257 was replaced by the A319 a while ago so interesting to see it swapped back.
Old Feb 3, 19, 8:17 am
C46

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies View Post
Iíve always enjoyed this Super 80 documentary... https://youtu.be/S9bjcHgwfQI
He non-revved from our station once and I just couldn't figure out, why he looked familiar...and his name on the PALL as well.

Even asked him, if he has been at that station before, which he denied.

Nice guy, though!
Old Feb 3, 19, 11:21 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Flew on N984TW (last MD80 ever built) yesterday from DFW to TUL. Slight maintenance delay at DFW but it was quick and easy. Great flight and TUL was pretty cool as well.
Old Feb 4, 19, 9:06 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
And as JDiver said, the last comfortable 1st class seats in the narrow body fleet. Sad to see them go as the polished Super 80 is AA.
My first flights ever were on the Super 80, back in the late 1980s. I might have to try to get on one before theyíre retired.