Extending elite status?

Old Jan 29, 19, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Gold, National Exec
Extending elite status?

hi all - i couldn't find this in search, but has anyone had experience with requesting miles/status to be retroactively applied? I've been Platinum for a few years, and just missed for 2018 by a little but ended up taking a biz class flight LAX-LHR just last week. Is it worth calling to ask if they can 'apply' those EQDs/Miles to 2018 since status technically expires Jan 31, 2019? I'll be flying more to london and NY now for work so there's a business case there, but obviously logic doesn't always win with the airlines..

any advice on 1) whether it makes sense to try, and 2) how to approach? Thanks!
Old Jan 29, 19, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Sorry won't happen. AA doesn't care I'm afraid what status you were in the past. THere are strict rules to be followed on EQM' for qualifying that you did not meet unfortunately. To have AA retroactively apply miles for you would be unfair to all others who have qualified legitimately.
MSPeconomist and boss315 like this.
Old Jan 29, 19, 12:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire; AA Gold and free agent (DH = AA EXP)
@mad07 I think you are out of luck. The qualifying year ended December 31. The January month of status is more like grace period while they credit the last few days of December travel and doesn't have anything to do with qualifying for 2019 year. However, you can try to buy back your status at elite.aa.com to see what it will cost you (or what AA wants you to pay).
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 29, 19, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Gold, National Exec
that's a bummer. thanks for the replies.
Old Jan 29, 19, 1:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You’ll be offered the opportunity to buy back or up.

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2019.
jspira likes this.
Old Jan 29, 19, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
You’ll be offered the opportunity to buy back or up.

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2019.
Other option is they may allow a challenge which could shortcut the route back to PLT.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 29, 19, 4:20 pm

The only retro active thing that would be allowed if your lucky would be a Platinum Challenge. but if memory serves correct it is days not a week after your flew but I would drops this thread and get on the special phone number for platinum challenge before i quit typ..........
Old Jan 29, 19, 4:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
Other option is they may allow a challenge which could shortcut the route back to PLT.
I think what you’re referring to is the targeted renewal challenge.

Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
The only retro active thing that would be allowed if your lucky would be a Platinum Challenge. but if memory serves correct it is days not a week after your flew but I would drops this thread and get on the special phone number for platinum challenge before i quit typ..........
It’s not likely AA would allow a standard Platinum Challenge to renew status.

I’d recommend checking one’s account for any current offers first, per https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ay-2019-a.html.
Attached Images  
jspira likes this.
Old Jan 29, 19, 4:59 pm

JDiver unless something has changed from 2018 your 100% wrong. If you call the special challenge phone number they have included post date flights. But the back date time was a few days not weeks. You are the forum moderator and should know their was specific discussion about post dated flight inclusion on another thread. The targeted promotion you describe is always a much better deal if offered. And a call to the special aa challenge phone number would be best served as they will tell you the best deal including a target offer.
Old Jan 29, 19, 5:04 pm
Suspended

JDiver unless something has changed from 2018 your 100% wrong. If you call the special challenge phone number they have included post date flights. But the back date time was a few days not weeks. You are the forum moderator and should know their was specific discussion about post dated flight inclusion on another thread.
You're not even reading correctly and your writing is even worse, so I'd slow down if I were you.
Old Jan 29, 19, 5:08 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
You're not even reading correctly and your writing is even worse, so I'd slow down if I were you.
My take exactly - not to mention that I am not aware that it is a requirement for FT moderators to have memorized every last discussion thread in a forum and every point covered.
Old Jan 29, 19, 10:01 pm

JDiver unless something has changed from 2018 your 100% wrong. If you call the special challenge phone number they have included post date flights. But the back date time was a few days not weeks. You are the forum moderator and should know their was specific discussion about post dated flight inclusion on another thread. The targeted promotion you describe is always a much better deal if offered. And a call to the special aa challenge phone number would be best served as they will tell you the best deal including a target offer.
If you’d kindly point out where I mentioned retroactive approval of flights for a Challenge, I’d appreciate that. (It is five days, from latest reports.)

What I did say is that AA does not normally allow AA Elite members to renew status with a standard challenge. That, iirc, has been the practice for some time, and counts as an “exception” to AA. Members who have used the standard challenge generally have been required to wait until the ne t year to undertake a challenge.

From https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ge-2017-a.html FAQ:

Q. How often can I sign up for a Challenge?

First, one can not extend or retain status made through a Challenge with a subsequent Challenge. As well, knowledgeable members have posted AA generally allows two "status exceptions" in a five year period, and the Challenge is considered as a status exception. Buying status back would be considered a status exception as well.
As I didn’t post as a moderator, the fact I’m a moderator is of no consequence. I’m a member, and even as a moderator I don’t read every post or every thread. But I did write the Wikipost and FAQ in the challenge thread based on information other members have conveyed.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: