Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA limits 787-8 / 788 Business seat sales to 20 (2019 Q1)

Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite

According to a post on One Mile at a Time today, AA is capping sales of J seats at 20 to avoid having to downgrade people if the equipment is reconfigured. Ben speculates that this will lead to a better chance at getting an upgrade.

Last edited by donotblink; Jan 30, 2019 at 9:42 am Reason: fixed spelling error
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Well. For the time being, he’s probably right. 20 seats is terrible for upgrade chances long-term though.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Maybe AA is trying to reduce seats so they dont have a pressure of selling them, thus jacking up the price? Ill take it if they can somehow improve service by reducing the number of upgrades... (probably wont happen)
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Correction: AA is capping J seat sales on the 787-8 only, not on the 787-9. The thread title has been modified to reflect that.

American is making one other major change to their 787-8s. While these planes are being reconfigured, they’re going from having 28 business class seats to having only 20 business class seats, which is obviously awful news in terms of upgrade and award ticket odds, and even in terms of finding cheap premium fares.
This “loophole” allegedly favoring upgrade possibilities will only apply to unconverted 788s, and that number of aircraft will diminish through ~June, when all 788s will lose eight Business seats and gain Premium Economy. That and unplanned equipment changes make this device temporary and less useful than it appears, but it will help AA not leave eight passengers with Business seats dumped with equipment changes - smart move, AA.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
AA did the same thing when they were converting the 12 (or 13?) 772 with 45J to 37J, I didn't report it at that time but I did mention this yesterday on a private FB group when someone notice it on the 787... a day later we see a new post from Ben

As JDiver said, this is good until they finish with the conversion, which I sure they will finish by the end of April or mid May.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
What will be really bad when there is a 789 swap to a 788. It happened to me - I was in row 8 and was lucky there was an open seat. And this was a 30 to 28 swap.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I guess AA have come to the conclusion that they cannot sell PEK-LAX RTs and the like in biz for $1200 as a sustainable business.
allset2travel and TWA884 like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by stephem
I guess AA have come to the conclusion that they cannot sell PEK-LAX RTs and the like in biz for $1200 as a sustainable business.
They're lucky that exUSA flights (LAX-PEK) go for 2x or 3x that (which is still a bargain compared to TATL flights).
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by stephem
+1
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:39 am

Happened to my flight tomorrow from ORD-DFW. Luckily I checked and was able grab a premium economy seat but that greatly diminishes my already terrible chances of an upgrade. It also looks like I'm on the lone 787-8 refresh in the AA system.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
Happened to my flight tomorrow from ORD-DFW. Luckily I checked and was able grab a premium economy seat but that greatly diminishes my already terrible chances of an upgrade. It also looks like I'm on the lone 787-8 refresh in the AA system.
As the rest of the 788s are refitted, this would have become a more common experience. Thats precisely why AA is capping sales to 20 C / J seats.

The only way to preclude that for those with existing tickets might be to choose a seat out of the line if fire - Seats in rows 1-5. Rows 6 and 7, in the minicabin, are the ones being replaced by Premium Economy during the refit. The refitting itself is expected to take place rather speedily, being concluded in June.
Attached Images  

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 30, 2019 at 9:12 am
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
And just like that, back to the old 787-8 seating! I went from 7C to 9B. Check often when you're on these flights. Luckily I'm on a short flight and nothing international.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Any idea how they'll handle upgrades with this strategy? Will they wait until within a few hours of departure before clearing or will they clear higher elites at an earlier window if there's a few open on pre-refit aircraft?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:05 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by jvel
Any idea how they'll handle upgrades with this strategy? Will they wait until within a few hours of departure before clearing or will they clear higher elites at an earlier window if there's a few open on pre-refit aircraft?
my guess is they will wait to the gate to clear. If they are being better safe than sorry no reason to clear people ahead only to have to deal with downgrade comp if there is equipment swap or worse J-reaccondation if upgraded via SWU or miles.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by lightbulbs

my guess is they will wait to the gate to clear. If they are being better safe than sorry no reason to clear people ahead only to have to deal with downgrade comp if there is equipment swap or worse J-reaccondation if upgraded via SWU or miles.
They waited until the gate for the LUS 319s that were going from 12F->8F.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.