Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA limits 787-8 / 788 Business seat sales to 20 (2019 Q1)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA limits 787-8 / 788 Business seat sales to 20 (2019 Q1)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
My flight in April on the 788 is still showing 7 rows and my seat assignment in 6L.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by dylanks
My flight in April on the 788 is still showing 7 rows and my seat assignment in 6L.
If you’re willing to risk equipment change and flying in W or Y, it’s no problem.
BlatheringPenguin likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
My flight is the 3rd week of March and still shows the mini cabin. Both middle seats in 6 and 7L are showing occupied. I'm not taking any chances and sticking to 5A! So thankful for FT!
BlatheringPenguin likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:14 am

Based on what we are hearing about the rapid rate of cabin conversion, I would move forward if I were you.

I’ve spent many flights in 6L (My favorite on the 788), but won’t be booking it anymore.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dylanks
Originally Posted by JDiver
If you’re willing to risk equipment change and flying in W or Y, it’s no problem.
If the reports that AA is only selling 20 J on all 788s, then there *should* be no risk of downgrades, only a risk of unfavorable seat reassignments. How much we trust AA to correctly implement all of this, and whether the 20 J policy is even accurate, is up for debate.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by dkc192
If the reports that AA is only selling 20 J on all 788s, then there *should* be no risk of downgrades, only a risk of unfavorable seat reassignments. How much we trust AA to correctly implement all of this, and whether the 20 J policy is even accurate, is up for debate.
But... if someone is booked in one of the two rows that are disappearing I don’t trust AA to handle a seat reassignment. I’m not sure I trust much IT does, particularly if it’s recent. Perhaps... Spring Break / Semana Santa / Easter Flights already booked over 20? Too many posts about AA’s execrable handling of seat reassignments. To much perhAAps.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Has anyone positively confirmed that not-yet-retrofitted 788’s with J0 fly with their J upgrade waitlists cleared to 8 pax at the gate? I could envision that this would be problematic for AA if they only cater the flight for 20 J PAX, so that they may only do it in cases where Y is oversold or has a long standby list.

Any recent anecdotal reports? Does standard catering come with enough buffer so as to be able to accommodate 8 new passengers in J?

Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by mcrw00
Has anyone positively confirmed that not-yet-retrofitted 788’s with J0 fly with their J upgrade waitlists cleared to 8 pax at the gate? I could envision that this would be problematic for AA if they only cater the flight for 20 J PAX, so that they may only do it in cases where Y is oversold or has a long standby list.

Any recent anecdotal reports? Does standard catering come with enough buffer so as to be able to accommodate 8 new passengers in J?

I’m pretty sure they can add/remove 8 extra meals on a few hour notice. It’s much easier thing to do vs rebooking passengers that paid for F and got somewhere to be.
I was one of the 8 people who cleared at the gate for 28J 788 last week and we had no problem with catering out of DFW.
also I’m pretty sure they load 28 meals by default and it doesn’t cost them that much extra vs dealing with complaints and giving away miles for the inconvenience. So I wouldn’t worry about going hungry
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Yes, unless J is “oversold” more than 20J, obviously they will retain their seats. But if it does end up being a 28J bird with available J seats, they will then process waitlisted upgrades to fill them out.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin
I’ve spent many flights in 6L (My favorite on the 788), but won’t be booking it anymore.
This is my favorite seat as well; I am disappointed about the reconfiguration. Honestly, there is really no J seat that I completely like now -- I prefer a rear-facing seat and all of those remaining after the reconfiguration have the connected motion issue.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by ikwia
This is my favorite seat as well; I am disappointed about the reconfiguration. Honestly, there is really no J seat that I really like now -- I prefer a rear-facing seat and all of those have the connected motion issue.
1D and 1H are rear facing and not connected tho
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by gateH15

1D and 1H are rear facing and not connected tho
Fair point, I should have been more explicit. I was referring to independent window seats, as opposed to middle seats, where you're playing divider-roulette, and you have less privacy even if you have a divider.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
I'm flying ORD-HNL next month on a 788 and this now explains what I see when I look at the seat map. The last two rows of J are wide open, makes me wonder if people are unable to select them for seats. I'm hoping to upgrade on the flight so this is great info as long as there isn't a equipment change.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by hawkfan7314
I'm flying ORD-HNL next month on a 788 and this now explains what I see when I look at the seat map. The last two rows of J are wide open, makes me wonder if people are unable to select them for seats. I'm hoping to upgrade on the flight so this is great info as long as there isn't a equipment change.
If they’re not selling those seats, possibly they’re not making them available for reserving either. Next month AA should be past the 50% refit point; they’ll have more C20 than C28 aircraft.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by JDiver
If they’re not selling those seats, possibly they’re not making them available for reserving either. Next month AA should be past the 50% refit point; they’ll have more C20 than C28 aircraft.
Let hope that my flight isn't one of the 50%. Would be a great usage of some 500milers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.