Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

First Class Seats on A321 / 321 Pre-Oasis LUS

Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The Airbus A321-200 aircraft previously operated by US Airways is listed as 321 by IATA and American Airlines.

Seat configuration is F16, Y171 - of which 15 seats are MCE, mostly exit row.

First class seats are said to be 21” wide and offer 36” seat pitch, according to SeatGuru.

These are currently configured without power in most seats, other than 1A. In Flight Entertainment is served from an onboard WiFi server for play on your own device. WiFi is mostly cellular ATG4 from GoGo, with a few aircraft fitted with Viasat Ka-band satellite based WiFi.

Link to SeatGuru seat chart for this (unretrofitted) aircraft.

Link to AA (unofficial) Fleet site page on this aircraft.

All of these aircraft will be reconfigured to MiQ seats in First Class with 37” pitch, with F16 (36” pitch), Meridians in Y171 including 18 MCE (187 total seat count). They will have power, though possibly not at every Y seat.

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Couldn't find info about F seats ( only transcon ). Mods, pls move if there is an existing thread.

We have a domestic redeye to CLT continuing to DFW on this plane. I am paranoid about people reclining into my face and therefore consider seats in row 1. How tight is the legroom
there, are there cutouts in the bulkhead ( have seen that on some UA planes )? I don't do many U.S. domestic trips so I hope you can help me. I am 6'4" if that makes a difference.
Attached Images  

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 29, 2019 at 7:43 pm Reason: Add seat chart from SeatGuru
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: AA Gold.
There are no foot cutouts. I am 6'3" and it can be an issue, so I only sit in 1C/1D if I have to sit in row 1 just to stretch out without getting up.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
There are no cutouts. I would choose one of the other rows and sit in an aisle, that way you can stretch your legs and get out if needed even with the recline. This seems like the best compromise for your situation.

The bulkhead row sucks. I'm 6'2 and its horribly confining from a legroom perspective; I can only imagine it would be worse for you.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also ... West coast --> CLT --> DFW
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Couldn't find info about F seats ( only transcon ). Mods, pls move if there is an existing thread.

We have a domestic redeye to CLT continuing to DFW on this plane.
Umm...now thats an enviable Flyertalker routing.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Do any AA birds have bulkhead foot cutouts? Come to think of it I can't remember ever seeing them. UA has plenty of them on their 75's and A319/20.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:23 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I actually prefer 1A/1F on these planes since you don't have anyone reclining into you and you can actually get out somewhat easily to use the bathroom etc.
tismfu likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
1A for me please. Most private seat in F.
AANYC1981 and Gino Troian like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
I'm 6'5" and find the row 1 bulkheads on the A321 to be survivable, but not really comfortable. I wouldn't want to do a transcon in them to be sure.

AFAIK there are no row 1 cutouts on the 321s.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Exleftseat

We have a domestic redeye to CLT continuing to DFW on this plane. I am paranoid about people reclining into my face and therefore consider seats in row 1. How tight is the legroom
there, are there cutouts in the bulkhead ( have seen that on some UA planes )? I don't do many U.S. domestic trips so I hope you can help me. I am 6'4" if that makes a difference.
You’re right, there isn’t one. Thank you for pointing that out.We’ve purposed this thread for discussion of LUS A321 (pre-Oasis) First/Business seating.

Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
I had seat 1B on a redeye flight once (it wasn't an A321) and I wasn't very comfortable trying to sleep. I did manage to sort of angle towards the galley (my wife was in 1A) but it was a fitful nap. I think I would consider 1A (window with no chance of stretching into the aisle) to be worse than an MCE seat.

I'd rather have 2B because even with 1B is reclining "into you", it doesn't feel as bad once I'm also reclined, and I like being able to stretch out to sleep.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I actually prefer 1A/1F on these planes since you don't have anyone reclining into you and you can actually get out somewhat easily to use the bathroom etc.
The non-reclining is nice, but the lack of leg space and the requirement to put your bag overhead is a deal breaker for me. Some moron broke my laptop by smashing a suitcase onto my bag that I was forced to put above.

2F for me.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:51 pm

Legroom is pretty good, never had issues at 6' but a HUGE plus to 1A (if you can snag it) is that it has a power outlet.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
Also ... West coast --> CLT --> DFW
For anyone who cares. This is an award ticket which AA spit out as PHX-CLT-DFW-NRT. We are looking forward to it in F and enjoy it. FWIW we came in on a UA award NRT-VIE-LAX-PHX on OS for the long legs.
Who knows how much longer I will be around to fly so I try to get the most out of it. Thoughts to have when you are in you mid-eighties!
JDiver and rvolkcpa like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Do any AA birds have bulkhead foot cutouts? Come to think of it I can't remember ever seeing them. UA has plenty of them on their 75's and A319/20.
I think the only plane that has adequate legroom af domestic F bulkhead is e-175. I’m 6’1 and can comfortably stretch my legs. On all other planes I’d rather have MCE/exit row vs bulkhead F.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.