Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2011-2015 AA Airbus A330-300 / 333 [master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The current thread for the LUS Airbus A330-300 is here.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2011-2015 AA Airbus A330-300 / 333 [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2011, 8:27 pm

Programs: None
When they reconfigured the A333's to reduce the size of Envoy and expand coach, the last few rows have been reported to definitely have less pitch. I saw a picture of a man of average build sitting in the last row whose tray table rested on his stomach and wouldn't drop down to a horizontal position.

Row 25, however, should be well forward of those rows.

One other thing that comes to mind is that the seats are the same one's the planes came with back in the late 90's, so aren't the newer slim-line seats. So actual pitch can be the same 31" as other airlines but the thicker seat-back cushions decrease the effective pitch.

I don't know if the plan is to replace coach seats when the Envoy Suites are installed this coming winter. If so they'll almost certainly put in the slim-line seats, hopefully without reducing actual pitch.

Jim
Old Apr 19, 2011, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
One other thing that comes to mind is that the seats are the same one's the planes came with back in the late 90's, so aren't the newer slim-line seats. So actual pitch can be the same 31" as other airlines but the thicker seat-back cushions decrease the effective pitch.
That would explain it. I felt I was the most cramped I had ever been despite the empty seat next to me. I connected to a commuter plane which was incredibly roomy by comparison.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 9:42 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
The equipment boxes for the IFE are under the window seats, and under the aisle of the center bank of seats. They really screw the leg room.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
When they reconfigured the A333's to reduce the size of Envoy and expand coach, the last few rows have been reported to definitely have less pitch. I saw a picture of a man of average build sitting in the last row whose tray table rested on his stomach and wouldn't drop down to a horizontal position.

Row 25, however, should be well forward of those rows.

I don't know if the plan is to replace coach seats when the Envoy Suites are installed this coming winter. If so they'll almost certainly put in the slim-line seats, hopefully without reducing actual pitch.

Jim
I had thought the entire aft Y cabin had a slightly reduced pitch, not just the last few rows. I'm not sure if I remember correctly, though. But from numerous accounts I've heard, the US 330 is quite cramped in Y. I think it has everything to do with what you've mentioned (thicker seats yielding less legroom despite comparable pitch on other carriers).
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
I had thought the entire aft Y cabin had a slightly reduced pitch, not just the last few rows.
That may be. What I know comes from posts on AirlineForums after the 1st planes were configured and just talked about the last few rows having less pitch than the other rows, but that doesn't mean all rows has less pitch than before the reconfig.

Jim
Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:58 am

Programs: USAirways CP
I was looking at the seating for my flight to London (PHX-CLT-LGW-CLT-PHX) and had a couple of questions. I already have my seats (1H/G on both TA legs) and have no need to change them but was curious about the terms Expert Flyer (EF) used.
(Obviously this is on the A330-300.)
  1. EF shows seat 5C missing. Is it actually not there?
  2. There are two seats (1A/B) listed as available but premium. What does that mean? I know at one time you have to pay extra for row 1 but I had no problems getting it w/o paying anything extra. Is it some kind of CP perk?
  3. There are 6 seats (all of row 2) listed as blocked. Why?
  4. In economy in the normal block of 4 seats (CDEF) there are no "E" seats for rows 35-39. Any reason for that?

Thanks.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by richinaz
(Obviously this is on the A330-300.)
EF shows seat 5C missing. Is it actually not there?
I think that is the seat blocked for cockpit crew rest.

There are two seats (1A/B) listed as available but premium. What does that mean? I know at one time you have to pay extra for row 1 but I had no problems getting it w/o paying anything extra. Is it some kind of CP perk?
Other than a holdover from when row 1 was considered premium because it had the lie-flat seats, I don't know. Hopefully someone else will.

In economy in the normal block of 4 seats (CDEF) there are no "E" seats for rows 35-39. Any reason for that?
I believe that's because the cabin narrows toward the back so there isn't space for a 4-seat center section.

I have no idea about your other question.

Jim
Old May 2, 2011, 6:09 pm

A330-300 and FAs in Envoy

With 30 seats in Envoy for the A330-300 I'm guessing there will be 2 FAs working Envoy?

I was just checking seating for flights to and from CLT-LGW and on the return flight there is only 1 seat open. Outbound there are maybe 6 open seats including two in row 1. I'm surprised no one has grabbed the remaining seats in row 1 since they are suppose to have more room and I don't believe they charge a premium for them any longer (at least I didn't pay anything extra).

Thanks
Rich
Old May 2, 2011, 7:13 pm

There are three f/a's that work Envoy with some help of a fourth.
Old May 2, 2011, 7:37 pm

Thumbs up

Thank you.
Old May 3, 2011, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
With 30 seats in Envoy for the A330-300 I'm guessing there will be 2 FAs working Envoy?

I was just checking seating for flights to and from CLT-LGW and on the return flight there is only 1 seat open. Outbound there are maybe 6 open seats including two in row 1. I'm surprised no one has grabbed the remaining seats in row 1 since they are suppose to have more room and I don't believe they charge a premium for them any longer (at least I didn't pay anything extra).

Thanks
Rich
On the US A330-300s, row 1 has 6 full flat beds featuring a 94-inch seat pitch.
Old May 3, 2011, 3:46 am

Programs: BAEC
including two in row 1. I'm surprised no one has grabbed the remaining seats in row 1 since they are suppose to have more room
A lot of people won't know this. It's not obvious from the seat map that these seats are any different! Only a savvy flyertalk would

The other night flying CLT-LGW there was 2 FA's serving the evening meal and another 2 dashing around in the galley for a full envoy cabin.

Still, in my opinion, meal service was too slow and we were a good 2.5 hours into the flight until all courses had been served and cleared up. By the time they faff with drinks, nuts, drinks, before the food even is served, so much time passes. It's really not good enough when you consider its only a 7h flight and they wake you about 1.5 hours from Gatwick for breakfast. Only leaves about 3 hours to sleep! On a day flight, I'm not worried about the speed of a meal service because it actually helps pass the time!

This is where an envoy lounge (or even "envoy section" in the C/D club) at CLT would be a bonus so you can eat before you fly and get as much sleep as possible once in the air. Maybe with the increased transatlantic's from CLT this may one day be realised. When the A333's get the new cabin, the standard of envoy will be raised, and one would hope the ground service is improved to meet that in the air as envoy is actually not a bad product for the price.
Old May 3, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: US, CO, Marriott
Grab row 1 if you at all can. Its really a cut above the rest and few people know about it. I think its from domestic service where you try and avoid row 1.

Here, its clearly better.

Z
Old May 3, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by limabean767
Still, in my opinion, meal service was too slow and we were a good 2.5 hours into the flight until all courses had been served and cleared up. By the time they faff with drinks, nuts, drinks, before the food even is served, so much time passes. It's really not good enough when you consider its only a 7h flight and they wake you about 1.5 hours from Gatwick for breakfast. Only leaves about 3 hours to sleep! On a day flight, I'm not worried about the speed of a meal service because it actually helps pass the time!
I agree -- IMO, this happens on a lot of east coast to Europe flights. I opt for the express meal option where everything comes at once (I even select items I do not want to receive on my tray to reduce crowding). Sometimes the express option is in the menu, sometimes not -- but I have never been turned down when I make the request.
Old May 3, 2011, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by limabean767
A lot of people won't know this. It's not obvious from the seat map that these seats are any different! Only a savvy flyertalk would

The other night flying CLT-LGW there was 2 FA's serving the evening meal and another 2 dashing around in the galley for a full envoy cabin.

This is where an envoy lounge (or even "envoy section" in the C/D club) at CLT would be a bonus so you can eat before you fly and get as much sleep as possible once in the air. Maybe with the increased transatlantic's from CLT this may one day be realised. When the A333's get the new cabin, the standard of envoy will be raised, and one would hope the ground service is improved to meet that in the air as envoy is actually not a bad product for the price.
We are in 1G/H on both flights.
Three hours of sleep? Hmmm. I'm not sure if I've slept 3 hrs in my life on planes. I wish I could but I'm not into resorting to meds/alcohol to do so.Starting in PHX it will be a long day so hopefully I might get lucky and sleep for 30 minutes.

limabean767,

Are there any lounges available for US Airways Envoy fliers? (I also have the US Airways Club membership and am Star Gold). I've asked this on a few different sites and haven't had any good answers.

I know there are a few paid lounges but I'm not sure if there is a free option. I guess there once was a US Airways lounge there but it closed in 2008.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.