Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

It looks like DFW-BUR / Burbank is coming back

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It looks like DFW-BUR / Burbank is coming back

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by Herb687
Is there any legal way to book a through fare when the connect point is two different airports not in the same city? I don't see how it wouldn't break the itinerary and price separate O&Ds DFW-BUR and LAX-wherever.
It would depend on the airline including the routing in the applicable fare rules. I've not seen it done outside of NYC/WAS. Seems like it's just a relic of earlier times. Eons ago, security was minimal to non-existant, traffic on the Van Wyck was negligible, and JFK had limited domestic service. PA and TW only established a meaningful connecting network at JFK after deregulation, so travelers were already quite accustomed to flying to LGA, claiming bags, and jumping in a Checker cab to IDL JFK. For many of these travelers, the first security screening on their trip might have been at JFK.

While there may be no compelling reason to eliminate JFK/LGA connections from permitted routings, I highly doubt they'd be offered if the the rules were completely rewritten today (and doubt non-legacies like B6, with rules first written in this century, will sell you one as well).
E55 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
The good news for upgrades is that the flights will be using 738s instead of 319s.
E55 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
While there may be no compelling reason to eliminate JFK/LGA connections from permitted routings, I highly doubt they'd be offered if the the rules were completely rewritten today (and doubt non-legacies like B6, with rules first written in this century, will sell you one as well).
Not sure how that could be done without some pretty complicated rules coding since JFK/LGA do not exist as city codes. Wouldn't the routing specify the city code of NYC?

Originally Posted by TSparky
The good news for upgrades is that the flights will be using 738s instead of 319s.
The bad news is that I see weight restrictions in your future!

Last edited by Herb687; Jan 29, 2019 at 7:31 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by E55
Can't figure out why that would be a thing.

Why would that be a thing?
You must be new around here.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:18 am

I would think this would be an interesting route to test with an E-175 for an added frequency (I'm sure people will ..... about the lack of a "hot meal"; if a hot meal is that important to you, there's an In-n-Out (and a Krispy Kreme) down the road. That's gonna be better than any enchilada with dried out rice and three homesick looking green chile slices).

Also, I wonder what AA plans to do in case of IRROPS at BUR. The shorter runway at BUR is 5800' feet - which is reminiscent of the runway at SNA. That may require some weight/load penalties under certain circumstances.

Last edited by IADCAflyer; Jan 30, 2019 at 7:28 am
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
The bad news is that I see weight restrictions in your future!
WN dominates BUR (6? gates) with 737s. I flew WN every week for 5 years and only had 2 weight issues. Both times we took off full and then landed at LAX or ONT to get a full tank. So I don't envision that happening very often.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Not sure how that could be done without some pretty complicated rules coding since JFK/LGA do not exist as city codes. Wouldn't the routing specify the city code of NYC?
Have you see how specific some of the fare rules can be (i.e., prohibiting travel on specific aircraft between certain city pairs)? Also there have been many fares offered exclusively via JFK and not LGA. Forbidding a connection requiring a change of airports would not be any more difficult if there were motivation to do it.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:39 pm
E55
Original Poster

Pretty new. Surely new enough to never remember seeing a XXX-LAX BUR-XXX route. Has that ever existed in any kind of normal sense?

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
You must be new around here.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:03 pm

This is Flyertalk - people fly from Washington to London via Los Angeles, Dushanbe, and Helsinki just to go get a few extra frequent flier points and to fly on the A-340...
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
This is Flyertalk - people fly from Washington to London via Los Angeles, Dushanbe, and Helsinki just to go get a few extra frequent flier points and to fly on the A-340...
I question the sanity of anyone who wants to deal with the 405 between BUR and LAX. The horror, the horror...
NYC Flyer and E55 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.