Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Premium Economy DFW-HNL low service standard

Premium Economy DFW-HNL low service standard

Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by RideThe22A
For my next trip, my strategy will be to purchase Economy class via ORD, PHX or LAX. Then if I get upgraded, it will be to Business class as those routes don't yet have PE. I can't see paying hundreds of dollars extra for PE and getting served a cardboard box lunch that I could have purchased in Economy for about $10. The wrap sandwiches are equally unappealing. But if you're traveling with a partner, you should order one of each Since they're sliced in half you could both get to savor the delicacies.
As others have stated, PE is primarily about the hard product. Sure, it’s a $5 wrap that economy gets too; First’s food isn’t anything to get excited about either. A good restaurant for $25 will serve something much better on the ground than that $3500 first ticket gives you. *You’re paying for the seat.* Enjoy the extra space and if you need another drink feel free to use the call button or visit the galley.

That said, it would be nice if Hawaiian PR routes were more like international PE routes food-wise.

Considering the AA PE seat is about the same as the domestic seats the big 3 fly from LAX on 321s and 737/, I think PE is a great option for those of us going through DFW or ORD. When F is 2,500 and PE is 1,500 it’s a tough call. When F is 3,600, PE is 1,500 & Y is $1250 it’s an easier choice.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
PE is intended to entice people who would otherwise fly Y, not to become F- on this route.
Same strategy for LAX-HKG-LAX. It's Y all the way........except for the seat.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
No difference in drink or meal service in PE or Economy. They start at the front (PE) and work to the rear. Then pick up from the front to rear, etc. If you want another drink to wash down your cardboard box wrap sandwich, you'll have to call a flight attendant as the PE service is no more attentive than Economy.
.....and factor in that often the alcohol is "locked up" back in Y an hour before landing.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We like the PE product to Hawaii as the cost differential between Coach and PE is a small Delta, although on our next trip we're in AA Coach as Southwest Airlines has brought fares down to never before seen amounts!

PS: The Moo Shu Veggie wrap is outstanding and I'm not a vegetarian. I like it better than the Buffalo Chicken Wrap. You do get an additional cheese and cracker plate, which is a purchased item in Coach.

Last edited by EXPLAT; Mar 7, 2019 at 9:07 am Reason: Add Comment
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:51 am

Can anyone tell me what the food is like on the way from HNL/OGG-->DFW? I know we'll get some sort of light breakfast but my reservation also said we'd get some sort of dinner, which was a surprise to me.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:44 pm

PE is an extension of economy, no dedicated extra crew, nor glassware provided.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:01 pm

Usually a meat wrap/veggie wrap option with a bag of chips and a dessert. Very underwhelming and mediocre.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Honestly AA could've installed a much larger PEY cabin. 10-abreast on the 777 is pure torture IMO. Doesn't matter how bad PEY actually is, the extra 1.5 inches compared to Y is well worth it.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Honestly AA could've installed a much larger PEY cabin...
You feel like they just come up with some random number for these things?
Often1 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
You feel like they just come up with some random number for these things?
Well no ... they just copy Delta!
SK, enviroian and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by jliehr
Usually a meat wrap/veggie wrap option with a bag of chips and a dessert. Very underwhelming and mediocre.
Thank you. I didn't expect much, but anything helps break up the flight wth kids.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: DL DM
Does AA PE have different catering for international flights, or is it the same as economy? Delta provides two of the same entrees that are served in business, albeit on a single tray service with glassware.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA Exp
Maybe it was in the minority, but the PE soft product my girlfriend and I had on the DFW-NRT (787) and NRT-DFW (777) was noticeably better, particularly on the Dreamliner. The food options and tray service was much better than Y as well
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Does AA PE have different catering for international flights, or is it the same as economy? Delta provides two of the same entrees that are served in business, albeit on a single tray service with glassware.
Yes - the catering on international PE is akin to domestic F. Main difference is no glassware, and no dedicated FA.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:39 am
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
For my next trip, my strategy will be to purchase Economy class via ORD, PHX or LAX. Then if I get upgraded, it will be to Business class as those routes don't yet have PE.
Wait, if I understand you correctly if there is PE on the flight (say HNL-DFW) and I'm upgraded via a SWU or 500 mile certs it would be to PE and not Biz? It's been awhile since I've been on AA hard product other than short hops to connect to OW carriers. I've got 2 BOS-HNL reservations coming up in next 1.5 months. 1st outbound through PHX and back through DFW; sounds like would be to biz on outbound if happens and PE on return? 2nd outbound through LAX on 321 and same return through DFW; guessing same scenario?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.