Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Premium Economy DFW-HNL low service standard

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Economy DFW-HNL low service standard

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by danimuhl
From my experience, all domestic airlines fly their worst planes and worst FAs to HNL due to the high tourist demand. DL offers a few DL One service flights, but even then the cabin is packed with upgraders, not making it conducive to business travel. When I was loyal to UA, I would position to SFO to take the 764 with flats, but they treated that service as domestic F. I don't know about AA as I left US before the "merger".
AA flies both. DFW-HNL is on the 772 which is the same plane as their international routes including Europe and South America. Lay flat all-aisle access up front.

they also fly the worst 752s from PHX though.
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Have been looking at flying to Hawaii to take advantage of the AA 772 flights, but there must be some pricing bug in AA land at the moment as PE is pricing in at higher than First to HNL.(almost $3500 from EWR)… obviously a no go. But even at a $300 premium not sure I'd bite without the service improvements. I'd probably go for the NS on united in E+ on the best plane in the sky for a suffering coach passenger... the humble UA 764.

I flew full international PE back in November/December from EWR via DFW to NRT (Tokyo). This was a paid ticket, but at the time the premium over economy was only about $300 RT. The upgraded seat as well as food, amenity kit, blanket, etc was well worth it at this modest price. I was very comfortable, and it felt like a premium experience for the first 5 or 6 hours (did not miss being up front at all). Currently the upcharge is more like a $2,000, or triple the economy fare!... a no go for me.

Sad that AA can't offer a bit more than some cheese (likely freezing cold) on the PE flights to Hawaii.

Last edited by schriste; Jan 27, 2019 at 2:13 pm
Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by schriste
Have been looking at flying to Hawaii to take advantage of the AA 772 flights, but there must be some pricing bug in AA land at the moment as PE is pricing in at higher than First to HNL.(almost $3500 from EWR)… obviously a no go. But even at a $300 premium not sure I'd bite without the service improvements. I'd probably go for the NS on united in E+ on the best plane in the sky for a suffering coach passenger... the humble UA 764.
Look at Hawaiian, non-stop A332s JFK-HNL, with lie-flats in a 2x2x2 config in First.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Look at Hawaiian, non-stop A332s JFK-HNL, with lie-flats in a 2x2x2 config in First.
I have many times, but never seen a "good fare" on this route. Always been north to well north of $3,000 when I have looked. Still rather slum it in UA 764 E+... after all, the flight always does come to an end and I always do survive.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
AA doesn’t have to put much into Hawaii service. It’s an aspirational destination with lots of traffic, so they can charge competitive fares with lackluster service (and products - those PHX 757s everyone complains about may be the source of pleasant memories once the More Sardines Throughiut Coach densufied A321neo takes over those routes). And really turn the miles thumbscrews on the multitudes wanting tomuse miles in Award seats firbtheur honeymoon trips.

I don’t expect anything to change for the better, but at least I’ve got lots of choices (for the fare, usually it’s Alaska or Hawaiian). And Southwest, once it’s flight crews and select 737 MAX 8s are ETOPS certified, will help keep those fares competitive (and their Meridian seats offer greater pitch than the AA Meridian, plus two free bags).

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Isn’t Hawaiian ordering A332s with a product that’s more like a regional Business cabin for mainland-Hawaii service? I though I read that somewhere.
wrp96 and T. Sanderson like this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by JDiver
Isn’t Hawaiian ordering A332s with a product that’s more like a regional Business cabin for mainland-Hawaii service? I though I read that somewhere.
No, you’re thinking of HA’s new A321neos which will serve West Coast cities. They cancelled their A330neo order last year in favor of 787-9s which will most certainly have lie-flat seating in J since they’ll be used for HA’s international longhaul routes.

-FlyerBeek
JDiver and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek

No, you’re thinking of HA’s new A321neos which will serve West Coast cities. They cancelled their A330neo order last year in favor of 787-9s which will most certainly have lie-flat seating in J since they’ll be used for HA’s international longhaul routes.

-FlyerBeek
Thanks for correcting my impressions, FlyerBeek.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by schriste

I flew full international PE back in November/December from EWR via DFW to NRT (Tokyo). This was a paid ticket, but at the time the premium over economy was only about $300 RT. The upgraded seat as well as food, amenity kit, blanket, etc was well worth it at this modest price. I was very comfortable, and it felt like a premium experience for the first 5 or 6 hours (did not miss being up front at all). Currently the upcharge is more like a $2,000, or triple the economy fare!... a no go for me.

Sad that AA can't offer a bit more than some cheese (likely freezing cold) on the PE flights to Hawaii.
PE pricing on the Hawaiian routes has been ‘flexible’ only ever since the PE awards came out last week. Some sort of IT error I guess? I think we’ll just go for first. AA F is typically significantly cheaper than the UA nonstop or Hawaiian JFK flight, which is often ridiculously 2x the price of AA phl-dfw-hnl.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by danimuhl
DL offers a few DL One service flights, but even then the cabin is packed with upgraders, not making it conducive to business travel.
Why, were they upgrading more than one passenger per seat? If your business travel involves HNL, not sure how it's any less conducive than any other HNL flight. I've found the food decent and service to be excellent, per usual on DL (specifically LAX-HNL). Maybe more people are drinking Mai Tais vs Woodford, but it's not a wild bunch.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:55 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek

-FlyerBeek
And their existing A330 has been fully retrofitted with lie-flat seats. With the 767s now retired at Hawaiian, their fleet at the moment is either a typical domestic first class seat (A321neo and 717 intra-Hawaii) or lie-flat (A330). The A321neo experience isn't terrible but the A330 is certainly significantly better. In any case, all require you to get to a west coast gateway or connect through JFK.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM; Hyatt Explorist; MR Gold; HH Diamond
Is the drink service in PE from DFW-OGG/HNL at least more frequent than regular economy?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

No difference in drink or meal service in PE or Economy. They start at the front (PE) and work to the rear. Then pick up from the front to rear, etc. If you want another drink to wash down your cardboard box wrap sandwich, you'll have to call a flight attendant as the PE service is no more attentive than Economy.
jcatman and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
PE is intended to entice people who would otherwise fly Y, not to become F- on this route.
eponymous_coward and jcatman like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA-Plat
Hoping our upgrade comes through but just in case, here are our choices in Premium Economy pre-order - hoping for some insight as neither look appealing:

• Southwestern Veggie Sandwich Wrap
    with chips and dessert

• Sandwich Wrap
    BBQ pulled chicken with blue cheese crumbles, tomatoes and cabbage and carrot slaw on a flour tortilla
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

For my next trip, my strategy will be to purchase Economy class via ORD, PHX or LAX. Then if I get upgraded, it will be to Business class as those routes don't yet have PE. I can't see paying hundreds of dollars extra for PE and getting served a cardboard box lunch that I could have purchased in Economy for about $10. The wrap sandwiches are equally unappealing. But if you're traveling with a partner, you should order one of each Since they're sliced in half you could both get to savor the delicacies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.