Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

International AA flight arrival at LAX / Los Angeles: which terminal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, Jetblue

will be picking up a friend who will travel on AA192 from HKG to LAX. Will I meet her at Terminal 4 or the Tom Bradley Terminal?

Thanks.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:03 pm

Unless T4 has gotten its own passport/customs area, your friend will have to go through the facilities at Bradley.

It has been a few years since I've flown AA192 so perhaps someone with more recent experience can confirm the long walk arriving pax make from T4 to Bradley to go through passport/customs.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by pvtwong
will be picking up a friend who will travel on AA192 from HKG to LAX. Will I meet her at Terminal 4 or the Tom Bradley Terminal?

Thanks.
Meet your friend at Bradley.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Last Wed (1/23/19), flight 192 arrived at gate 43 and cleared immigration at terminal 4. With global entry and first class, it was almost as fast as arriving on a domestic flight.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
The most recent posts in the LAX FIS thread (posts 222-233) indicate that T4 FIS is up and running during the scheduled arrival time of AA192. That said, it is unclear whether pax are separated between the T4 and TBIT facilities, and if so, how they are separated. Some reports (both in that thread and in others here in the AA forum that I can't seem to find right now) suggest that GE/APC-eligible pax are funneled to T4 while others are sent to TBIT; other reports indicate that only GE/APC-eligible pax *without* checked luggage are funneled to T4; etc. The T4 facility might have opened in stages too, such that both of those accounts were true at different points in time.

Consolidated "Customs and Immigration at LAX" thread

If anyone has any latest reports on how the T4 FIS facility is running these days, please do share!
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by marnold3
Last Wed (1/23/19), flight 192 arrived at gate 43 and cleared immigration at terminal 4. With global entry and first class, it was almost as fast as arriving on a domestic flight.
Ah ha--this is a good report to have. Do you know if all pax from your flight cleared at T4, or if it was just those with GE or APC? Or in other words, were there human immigration agents to process pax who are ineligible to use the machines?

Also, did you have checked bags that were claimed at T4? If not, did you notice a carousel available and listed on the monitors for pax on your flight?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
T4 does have its own CBP area. I went through it late last year, coming home from London.

Here is what I suggest: Get the AA app, available free from the usual app stores. The app has a function where you can check flight status. Check the flight on the day of travel, and it will tell you which terminal to expect the flight on that day. It will also tell you if the flight is on time, early or delayed so you can plan accordingly.

You can get the same flight status info from the aa.com website.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by dkc192

Also, did you have checked bags that were claimed at T4? If not, did you notice a carousel available and listed on the monitors for pax on your flight?
When I came in from London last year, everyone cleared CBP in T4. I got my checked bag from a T4 carousel. I don’t remember which one. It was the one that started moving. I think there are only two.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach

When I came in from London last year, everyone cleared CBP in T4. I got my checked bag from a T4 carousel. I don’t remember which one. It was the one that started moving. I think there are only two.
Good news! This would suggest that T4 FIS has full functionality, an improvement from earlier reports that only GE/APC pax and/or those without checked bags could use it.

What this means for OP: if AA192 shows an arrival into gates 41 or 43 in T4, meet your friend at T4; otherwise, meet her at TBIT.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
T4 FIS has full functionality!
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, Jetblue
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
T4 does have its own CBP area. I went through it late last year, coming home from London.

Here is what I suggest: Get the AA app, available free from the usual app stores. The app has a function where you can check flight status. Check the flight on the day of travel, and it will tell you which terminal to expect the flight on that day. It will also tell you if the flight is on time, early or delayed so you can plan accordingly.

You can get the same flight status info from the aa.com website.
Hello. Thank you for the suggestion. I checked yesterday and today's flights and both flights said they arrived at gate 343. I am more confused now where that gate is.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by pvtwong
Hello. Thank you for the suggestion. I checked yesterday and today's flights and both flights said they arrived at gate 343. I am more confused now where that gate is.
From another thread (where it was quite hard to find; third party search engine to the rescue):

Originally Posted by dantheflyingman
343 is one of the AA maintenance hanger hardstands.

They’d be bused in from the remote gates. Dunno whether they’d go to Customs in TBIT or T4 (or if there’s even a consistent answer to that question).
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
They’d be bused in from the remote gates. Dunno whether they’d go to Customs in TBIT or T4 (or if there’s even a consistent answer to that question).
I'm pretty sure all remote gate arrivals are bused to TBIT FIS. T4 FIS, at least in its prior incarnation in the 2000s IIRC, did/does not have a door from the tarmac to accept bus arrivals.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:13 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
I just arrived on 192 this past Monday and we were herded to TBIT for immigration/customs, they had staff lined up blocking immigration at T4 immigration and told us to keep moving to TBIT.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:33 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by safari ari
I just arrived on 192 this past Monday and we were herded to TBIT for immigration/customs, they had staff lined up blocking immigration at T4 immigration and told us to keep moving to TBIT.
For this very reason it's important to bring candy to throw out for the TBIT/T4 parade when they line up and tell you to look straight and keep it moving.

If you happen to have one of those little Shriner cars with you, that's always a hit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.