Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines’ Roadmap to ‘Long-Term Success’

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines’ Roadmap to ‘Long-Term Success’

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Antarius
I don't think the F seats are bad. OT, but whats bad about them? The current ones on the 738 and LAA airbii feel like park benches.
I'm referring specifically to the newest ones. Underseat storage has shrunk significantly, seat pitch has tightened, at least one of the little drink trays has disappeared, and I find the seats themselves to be extremely uncomfortable. There is an overall impression of cheapness.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Agreed. I didn't see anything resembling a stretch goal anywhere. Get to 32% of planes with more overhead space? Honestly?

And there remain hordes of planes with no MCE other than bulkhead and exit rows.
I agree. Its basically, lets keep doing what we're doing and hope somehow we get lucky.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I don't see how the expect to increase their net promoter scores by making the narrow-body cabins so much more uncomfortable compared to UA and DL. After flying the MAX8 and the Oasis 738, the only thing I'm likely to recommend to anyone I talk to, including random strangers, is to run as far away as possible from these airplanes.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I don't think the F seats are bad. OT, but whats bad about them? The current ones on the 738 and LAA airbii feel like park benches.
The new F seats for the A321 and 737 aircraft are the Rockwell Collins MiQ seats. “Out of the box” on A321neo, 738 MAX 8, retrifitted to 737-800 and A321/non “T” 32B under Project Oasis.

Originally Posted by potus18
SFO lounge construction under "Create a World-Class Customer Experience" -- hopefully in the new T1 and not the current T2 location! No club closures, please.
The SFO Club is a temporary arrangement with the Port of SF until the new T1 etc.are completed, including a new Club.

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
American wants to increase EPS by 40% but then as another goal, they want to install TV's and wifi on a large number of aircraft, increase customer service quality, conduct construction work at their lounges, deliver 30 new gates between two airports, increase employee training, and whatever else that will cost them a significant amount of money. Investors should having meetings now as to when the CEO will be fired when they don't reach their goal(s).

Start by adding transfer partners from the large banks instead of forcing someone to either fly or get an AA card to earn AA miles.

Then you can move to the outdated flight atmosphere American provides (lack of wi-fi, seat-back entertainment, and an attitude adjustment for the few miserable flight attendants).

How about making the wifi free for first class domestic fliers?

In addition to that... How about fixing the wifi issues on planes where it doesn't work? In March I flew from JFK to RSW and the wifi didn't work for even one second on that flight. I felt like I was flying back in the 90's. Some people might think IFE is stupid, but what's stupid is having a lack of technology when all of the other mainstream carriers have it.
No, they’re removing seatback IFE from the 738 and non-T 32B that might have them, replacing them with BYOD IFE broadcast from an onboard WiFi server, as well as refitting satellite based WiFi.

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
There isn't anything material here. So AA is going to fly a safe airline, hopefully get flights to their destination on time and fix up a few ACs (by the way the SFO AC is relatively new and one of the nicest lounges in the system). How about showers at PHL, CLT and PHX? Other than getting power to LUS A/C pretty much a big yawn.
SFO T2 Club is temporary. CLT and PHL have lounge construction projects. OHX Clubs are relatively small and don’t have much international longhaul service, so I’m not sanguine showers will be coming to PHX anytime soon.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JDiver
The new F seats for the A321 and 737 aircraft are the Rockwell Collins MiQ seats. “Out of the box” on A321neo, 738 MAX 8, retrifitted to 737-800 and A321/non “T” 32B under Project Oasis.
Right. IMO, these seats are more comfortable than the current F seats.

The loss of pitch, IFE etc. sucks though, no argument there.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
There's a lot missing although it's a decent start.

I got hung up on the "Develop servant leaders..." and had to assume it was a typo. It turns out it was exactly what the airline meant to say, I found out in what turned into a lengthy call with an AA exec.

I had visions of Carson the butler and Mrs. Hughes (or my grandmother's butler, Josef, for that matter) but no, the airline means placing leaders in a position where they also have to serve the people who report to them.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Servant leadership is a very common SWA message. The issue is that these traits have to be found when hiring, they are not easily teachable.
DenverBrian and jspira like this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Right. IMO, these seats are more comfortable than the current F seats.

The loss of pitch, IFE etc. sucks though, no argument there.
IMO they’ve got some pros and cons. They’re more comfortable than the slimline F seats (though the MD-80 seats are better), but the lost pitch, spare nature of the seat and the unexplained loss of underwear space are negatives.

And we haven’t even mentioned Basuck Economy and it’s possible expansion.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
IMO they’ve got some pros and cons. They’re more comfortable than the slimline F seats (though the MD-80 seats are better), but the lost pitch, spare nature of the seat and the unexplained loss of underwear space are negatives.

And we haven’t even mentioned Basuck Economy and it’s possible expansion.
Classic, JDiver...........an absolute classic.
mrow likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by rasheed
Servant leadership is a very common SWA message. The issue is that these traits have to be found when hiring, they are not easily teachable.
Great point. Hiring should be extremely difficult so that training is easy.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:39 pm

Well i just have to say it sounds like classic Doug Parker, all talk and no substance. One small data point about the new flag ship lounges. I was recently in the new ord flgl on rt ord/hkg. The food was very limited and very subpar. YMMV
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
“The airline wants 2019 to be the year it leverages the benefits of its merger with US Airways”

From a lousy hard and soft product right on up to Discount Dougie himself, remind me what good came over from US Airways that they hope to leverage?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
I think the long term plan for AA success would be the project Oasis but this time applied to Doug and his America West leadership team: the current seats/team should be removed and new installed throughout all operating fleet/ offices of the company.
mrow likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:19 pm

My team in MIA prefers flying Delta vs AA. They’d rather connect. My wife prefers JetBlue because of IFE for our kids and better seats. And I’m EP. says something. We live in MIA, and basicallly no one prefers AA. I have to fly it as I go deep South America frequently.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by jmj9905
Well i just have to say it sounds like classic Doug Parker, all talk and no substance. One small data point about the new flag ship lounges. I was recently in the new ord flgl on rt ord/hkg. The food was very limited and very subpar. YMMV
- In old days ORD Flagship would have sushi and bacon-wrapped scallops.
- Stopped by LAX Flagship this month before boarding LAX-HKG: food offering was pathetic. I was glad that we have visited Qantas First just before.
Another day at JFK Flagship they have run out of any hot food and started offering pasta with marinara source. Now I would take the old Flagships before the merger - far less crowded and personal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.