Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Paid domestic business and trying to standby? Read This!

Old Jan 24, 19, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-CK, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, SPG- Lifetime Plat

Ok, this has happened to me twice in one month so I thought I'd share in case it helps someone else out. I buy first class (business - generally I fares) tickets when flying domestically. Twice I tried to go standby on an earlier flight. The first time I was passed over by an upgrade. I asked how that could be as I had a first ticket. Initial response was that I was upgrading and would be behind everyone else who was originally booked on the flight. When someone finally listened and looked at my ticket they apologized and said I was listed incorrectly as a RV1 instead of RF1. For that flight it was to late as they wouldn't un-upgrade someone and I wasn't going to push the issue.

Fast forward a week and I'm standby again for an earlier flight and I ask the agent what my chances are and he responds not good. Fool me once... I ask if I am listed as RF1 or RV1 and he responds RV1! I say can you change it to RF1 and he had to ask a colleague for clarification as he too thought I was upgrading! Supervisor says yes list him as RF1! Too late, passenger WOO, T who was listed correctly had cleared before my listing was corrected. So OK, I enjoyed the steak frite and Krug in the First dining while waiting for my original flight.

In the first case a check in agent listed me for standby and in the second case it was via the AA app. Bottom line, based on my experience, if you are standing by on a paid first ticket make sure you are listed correctly RF1 not RV1.
ShortDog likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 25, 19 at 2:41 pm Reason: Separate instances into paragraphs
Old Jan 25, 19, 2:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Look at what happened to me yesterday as I reported in the last part of this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...sju-today.html

I message the Twitter team show said they’ll look into it. At least 4 people were upgrade, one pre-boarding and 3 after boarding, while I sat in economy.
Old Jan 25, 19, 4:41 am

Programs: AA EXP
Old Jan 25, 19, 2:14 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
I don't buy "I" fares often, and rarely standby on those occasions. However, when I have wanted to standby on an "I" fare, having a printed boarding pass has been helpful. Unlike the boarding pass on my phone, a printed boarding pass lists class of service. This allows the GA to immediately see that I'm not moving around on an upgraded seat.
Old Jan 25, 19, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA CK
Well documented. It's bizarre is showing up at the gate with a paid business class ticket... with business class seats for sale... and they 1) upgrade others, 2) assign you a seat in coach, and 3) then issue you a refund for the difference!
Old Jan 25, 19, 2:45 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by dave_261 View Post
Well documented. It's bizarre is showing up at the gate with a paid business class ticket... with business class seats for sale... and they 1) upgrade others, 2) assign you a seat in coach, and 3) then issue you a refund for the difference!
Normally you won't get a refund for the difference as it is considered a voluntary downgrade. Moreover, the flight will post in AAdvantage as coach, meaning fewer EQMs. For the latter problem you have to call to get the miles adjusted to the fare booked, and it usually requires an argument.

I too have tried several times to standby with a paid F ticket and have never been successful.
Uzzar likes this.
Old Jan 25, 19, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Choice Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
Normally you won't get a refund for the difference as it is considered a voluntary downgrade. Moreover, the flight will post in AAdvantage as coach, meaning fewer EQMs. For the latter problem you have to call to get the miles adjusted to the fare booked, and it usually requires an argument.

I too have tried several times to standby with a paid F ticket and have never been successful.
The only time i have done this, I did not have the experience you mentioned. I had what PP described. I was sat in economy (didn't know about the listings) AA refunded me a small portion but my miles and dollars was all for first class.
tismfu likes this.
Old Jan 25, 19, 5:02 pm

I had this happpen on a last minute full J international ticket where i had two US segments booked into econcabin due to full front cabin and on YVR-DFW they upgraded someone from economy as the door closed. I was furious. At the DFW F lounge the agent explained the codes to me so this wont happen again. This is a terrible glitch that they really ahould fix. Paying $7k and watching someone on an econmy ticket get an open F seat over me was painful.
Old Jan 25, 19, 5:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by stephem View Post
I had this happpen on a last minute full J international ticket where i had two US segments booked into econcabin due to full front cabin and on YVR-DFW they upgraded someone from economy as the door closed. I was furious. At the DFW F lounge the agent explained the codes to me so this wont happen again. This is a terrible glitch that they really ahould fix. Paying $7k and watching someone on an econmy ticket get an open F seat over me was painful.
They sent me a $100 for my experience but then they said that correct procedure was followed. I don’t get it!
Old Jan 25, 19, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stephem View Post
If you were booked in full J, then there would be no change fee , so unless the cabin was at J0 , would be no issue making a confirmed change

If the flight was at J0 and you chose to standby to try and get an earlier flight and it was full, then c'est la vie
Old Jan 25, 19, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
If you were booked in full J, then there would be no change fee , so unless the cabin was at J0 , would be no issue making a confirmed change

If the flight was at J0 and you chose to standby to try and get an earlier flight and it was full, then c'est la vie
As i said i bought a last minute full J fare ticket which had two domestic segments and those were booked in Y due to J being zero at time of purchase. Unlike other airlines that handle this better, AA has no waitlist to automatically put a full J passanger into the front cabin i paid for, when J drops below zero. And unless the check in agent coded the “upgrade request”, which let’s be clear it is really not in this case, to get me into the cabin I (quite dearly) paid for, then you might wind up behind someone else on the “upgrade list” who is getting a complimentary exp upgrade. In the end AA aapologized for the lack of training by the YVR based agent, who I would add acted kind of like I was asking a favor even when i suggested I’d like a refund and would take my $7k to the AC or UA counter and fly on them.

It doesnt matter though whether you wind up in Y due to standby rebooking or your original booking, if a front cabin seat opens prior to departure, the Paid front cabin fare passenger trumps any eco fare customers (even using an SWU) on the “upgrade list.” AA just hasn’t trained some (most?) of its outstation staff to code the “J fare passenger in Y” correctly onto the upgrade list so they do clear first.
Old Jan 25, 19, 8:08 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
I SDFC today from my original flight that I was upgraded on. When doing it online it put me into the standby que. When I went to the airport Piority line I was told by the agent that if I had had been in Y I would've gotten a seat automatically. She downgraded me on my later flight to coach, got me an MCE seat and reestablished me to the proper spot on the upgrade list (I had been bumped to bottom with the SDFC). Makes no sense but having the proper agent who knows the problem sure does help.