FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Redeeming Paper Voucher at the Airport Requires Repricing? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1952849-redeeming-paper-voucher-airport-requires-repricing.html)

donotblink Jan 24, 2019 10:26 pm

Redeeming Paper Voucher at the Airport Requires Repricing?

I just talked to the Executive Platinum desk, I put a reservation on hold and I wanted the agent to update the PNR for voucher redemption at the airport--I'm going tomorrow after the hold expires. She told me that if I want the price I got online I need to mail the voucher in within seven days and that redeeming at the airport would require the agent to reprice the ticket. I asked the agent if this was a new policy because I had just redeemed a voucher at the airport a few weeks ago and didn't have any problem and she told me that I got lucky and that the agent was supposed to reprice. Is this true?

mvoight Jan 24, 2019 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink (Post 30697923)
I just talked to the Executive Platinum desk, I put a reservation on hold and I wanted the agent to update the PNR for voucher redemption at the airport--I'm going tomorrow after the hold expires. She told me that if I want the price I got online I need to mail the voucher in within seven days and that redeeming at the airport would require the agent to reprice the ticket. I asked the agent if this was a new policy because I had just redeemed a voucher at the airport a few weeks ago and didn't have any problem and she told me that I got lucky and that the agent was supposed to reprice. Is this true?

I have never told them I was going to the airport to redeem the voucher. I have always just called and said I was going to redeem a voucher, and let them explain the part about mailing it in.
I have never had an issue doing this.

Dave Noble Jan 24, 2019 11:00 pm

Are there any advance purchase requirements that are going to risk affecting the price?

donotblink Jan 24, 2019 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 30697985)
Are there any advance purchase requirements that are going to risk affecting the price?

I don't think so, the reservation is for dates in November, the fare basis dictates the following:

Category 5: Advanced reservation/ticketing restrictions
RESERVATIONS FOR ALL SECTORS ARE REQUIRED AT LEAST 14 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. WAITLIST NOT PERMITTED. TICKETING FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP MUST BE COMPLETED BY MIDNIGHT 1 DAY AFTER RESERVATIONS ARE MADE OR AT LEAST 14 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE WHICHEVER IS EARLIER.

Dave Noble Jan 25, 2019 1:02 am

As long as it will not be < 14 days before departure that you go to the airport, then even if repriced, I cannot see it likely that it will be more expensive

AA does say that prie guarantees are only for 24 hours, so can see why it woiuld be a candidate for repricing - I just dont see it likely to be a problem unless (a) special fare that expired or (b) advance purchase issues

fotographer Jan 25, 2019 3:44 am

Why cant AA get with the times and rid us of these "paper" vouchers, which I have had to snail mail.
I am sure AA IT can sort out a way for us to apply a code number to a ticket either purchased on -line or via an agent

AANYC1981 Jan 25, 2019 5:13 am

I've never received a paper voucher.....in fact I just received an e-voucher for a downgrade and it seems easy to use on AA.com. So they have at least some electronic system in place to redeem vouchers online via AA.com

TechMarauder Jan 25, 2019 5:49 am

Originally Posted by donotblink (Post 30697923)

This did in fact happen to me about 6 months ago. I had a paper voucher for $300. I reserved a flight for $310 that was months in the future. When I went to the counter at IAH she was having an issue as it was repricing based on new price since it wasn’t ticketed yet and had been over 24 hours. She went to the back office and said she had to manually issue the ticket. Since paper vouchers are considered tax exempt, they are not subject to the 7.5% transportation tax so my total went down to around $295. She came out with my itinerary printed and a balance voucher of about $5.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Jan 25, 2019 5:55 am

In the past if I've called and going to the airport would occur before the voucher would arrive in the mail AA has held the fare. In the case of a voucher AA will only hold the fare for so many days.

Finsup72 Jan 25, 2019 7:35 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 30698810)
In the past if I've called and going to the airport would occur before the voucher would arrive in the mail AA has held the fare. In the case of a voucher AA will only hold the fare for so many days.

I've never heard of having your ticket re-priced when redeeming a physical voucher. In the 5 or 6 times I've redeemed a voucher at the airport, they've always held the price for me for the same price as I booked online.

donotblink Feb 24, 2019 9:05 pm

On Wednesday of last week I put a reservation together, CDG->JFK round trip.

I put the ticket on hold and because I couldn’t go to the airport on Thursday I called into reservations to have the reservation set up for voucher redemption, and I went to LGA today to get it ticked.

I was working with a very nice representative and she spent about 40 minutes on the phone with her help desk to try to get my ticket issued. She told me the person on the phone told her that there was an issue with the way that the fare was stored.

I was told that I would either have to mail in the voucher or they would have to reprice at today’s offered price which is $80 more. I told them that I would mail it in and left the airport. It really sucks because I went out to LaGuardia just to take care of this ticketing and not for a flight. I guess I’ll be going to the post office tomorrow to send it in certified mail.

I guess this is kind of a terrible thing about being a millennial but I’ve never sent anything certified mail and I’m not totally sure how to do that. Hopefully the people at the post office will be able to help me out with that.

It’s worth noting that the representative at the airport was extremely apologetic, she told me that she’s done this hundreds of times and she’s never had this issue before. She gave me her name and employee number and also the name and employee number of the person on the phone—I didn’t even ask for this info. She suggested that I communicate with customer relations how poor of an experience this was for everyone.

platbrownguy Feb 24, 2019 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink (Post 30817948)
I guess this is kind of a terrible thing about being a millennial but I’ve never sent anything certified mail and I’m not totally sure how to do that.

LOL

Don't even worry about certified mail. USPS has gotten with the times and provides complimentary tracking on all Priority Mail -- which you can pay for online using USPS Click 'n Ship. It's ~$6-7 and way less cumbersome than certified mail with return receipts. It'll get there in 2-3 days and you'll have email tracking to back it up.

MathMusic Feb 25, 2019 6:38 am

Make sure you take a photo so you have all voucher information in case the post office loses it. I know in that case there is precident for processing without the voucher itself if it was lost in transit.

TravelLawyer Feb 25, 2019 7:02 am

How does one even get a paper voucher? I’ve only been given e-vouchers and can’t even remember the last time someone handed me a paper voucher. Maybe 12 years ago?

HofstraJet Feb 25, 2019 7:20 am

I was mailed a paper voucher last fall from a phone agent.