Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Passenger acceptance: Can Passenger complaints get you kicked off a flight?

Passenger acceptance: Can Passenger complaints get you kicked off a flight?

Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Is it really that hard/expensive to take a shower or at least use some wet wipes?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The male pax Adler is wearing the same kind of clothes I see male Swedish Protestants wear in 70F temperatures during their Midsummer holidays. Sk attire isn’t the problem, even as headwear can cause additional sweating at times.

Many a person sweat at MIA when carrying an infant/toddler and all the baggage that may come with such travels. Some deodorants and perfumes can be considered offensive smells. So maybe the covering up of the body odor with deodorants/perfumes isn’t always the solution some may consider it to be. Haven’t there been denied transport situations due to excessive perfume use? [/left]

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 25, 2019 at 9:45 am Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:32 pm

Compassion.
Jane42 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by craz
Keep in mind AA paid for their hotel, well if they in fact did smell bad why would AA pony up for the hotel? If for whatever reason I didnt meet the COC of an airline I wouldnt expect to get anything from that carrier except for a rebooking at a later time
AA probably did this as a CS gesture given they had a small child, and also given they were recording airline employees, which probably worried the employees about possible legal action
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I didn't mean to suggest a board meeting be called. But I would think at a minimum, ONE crew member would need to corroborate the complaint before removing the passengers. While yes, they are under time pressure, kicking a passenger off a flight is not something that should be taken lightly, for many reasons.
From the article I read, the odor was confirmed by more than one FA. Knowing the publicity that happens with these cases you can imagine the deliberations that were made. A family was not kicked off the plane based upon one passengers unverified complaint.
ijgordon and mnhusker like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travellerK
My issue is not that body odor can get you kicked off a plane (though after 36 hours of travel on buses, trains, and planes from remote parts of the world, I don't want to think too much about my body odor, though that doesn't apply here).

My issue is that AA makes no assertion that they investigated and concurred with the accusation. They accepted the passenger complaints at face value. So anyone with a personal or ethnic dislike of someone else can get them kicked off a plane? I don't think that AA has any personal or ethnic dislikes of anyone, but to not be alert to this possibility and do some independent investigation sounds like poor customer service training to me.
The crew who is asking you to get off the plane should be able to smell you just as well as the passengers sitting beside you. That seems like about the right level of investigation.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
AA probably did this as a CS gesture given they had a small child, and also given they were recording airline employees, which probably worried the employees about possible legal action
AA also had the issue of having taken the passengers luggage, arguably against the passengers wishes, and having to pay up for the inconvenience that involuntary baggage separation causes.

Being stuck overnight away from home without the stuff they may need for the infant/toddler during the involuntarily extended time away from home can add up in costs let alone hassles pretty quickly.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The decision is made by the Captain. Passengers may complain and cabin crew may relay that, but it is the Captain's decision.

So long as the decision is objectively reasonable, that is the end of it. Rebooking and comping a room is simply a way to defuse the situation. This appears to have been well-handled by AA. At least based on the very limited facts available and without the wild supposition about the demographics of the destination.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by Often1

So long as the decision is objectively reasonable, that is the end of it. Rebooking and comping a room is simply a way to defuse the situation.
If decision had merit,how does putting them back on a flight defuse it?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
If decision had merit,how does putting them back on a flight defuse it?
The provided a hotel room too. Maybe they will make use of the shower in the room.
btonkid12345 and mnhusker like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The provided a hotel room too. Maybe they will make use of the shower in the room.
Im sure they did since from the clips online they were asking people today at MIA if they could smell them and if they smelled bad. They should have done that yesterday after being removed from the flight, when it mattered
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by travellerK
My issue is not that body odor can get you kicked off a plane (though after 36 hours of travel on buses, trains, and planes from remote parts of the world, I don't want to think too much about my body odor, though that doesn't apply here).

My issue is that AA makes no assertion that they investigated and concurred with the accusation. They accepted the passenger complaints at face value. So anyone with a personal or ethnic dislike of someone else can get them kicked off a plane? I don't think that AA has any personal or ethnic dislikes of anyone, but to not be alert to this possibility and do some independent investigation sounds like poor customer service training to me.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/fami...185057248.html
An American Airlines representative tells Yahoo Lifestyle: They were asked to deplane after multiple passengers, along with our crew members and Miami airport team, were concerned about the comfort of our other passengers due to the odor. Our team members took care of the family by providing overnight accommodations and meals and rebooking them for the next available flight.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mvoight
I would hope this was verified by a crew member before the got thrown off.
Nobody should be thrown off a plane just because of claim by another passenger, without verification
No one should be thrown off a plane just because of claim of a FA, unverified.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by craz
Im sure they did since from the clips online they were asking people today at MIA if they could smell them and if they smelled bad. They should have done that yesterday after being removed from the flight, when it mattered
I wonder how the flight the next day went. Even if they showered, they were still probably getting weird looks from people that recognized them from all of the attention this has garnered.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:52 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
It's apparent these people smelled. Grown adults should be able to present themselves properly in public. If they were embarrassed they did this to themselves.
Silver Fox and mnhusker like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.