Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Standby questions for LHR-MIA and MIA-SJU today (24 Jan 2019)

Standby questions for LHR-MIA and MIA-SJU today (24 Jan 2019)

Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Was this an actual J (full fare business class, refundable and changeable at no charge), or a D or I fare? An AAnytime award (which is full fare J) or MilesAAver award (which isn't)? If FF J/AAnytime they should have given you the seat, D or I there is the fee for change thing and do you want to pay to change and/or reprice and thus you get lumped in a list with upgrades. That's what I suspect. Full fare J the Flagship Lounge would have handled it with aplomb I'd think.

1/2 an hour (in MIA with the shutdown, no less!) on the other hand is a terrific connection. Did you use connecting security, or did you exit baggage/customs and go back up to D or E?
It was a redemption booked with Avios and tickteted by BA, so I imagine it was the equivalent of a MilesAASaver. At no point, though, was I told that the underline fare cose would make a difference.

I used the connecting flights security. Perhaps the fact that I was among the first to leave the aircraft helped.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by ringingup

It was a redemption booked with Avios and tickteted by BA, so I imagine it was the equivalent of a MilesAASaver. At no point, though, was I told that the underline fare cose would make a difference.

As you saw from the other thread, this is an ongoing issue. Often but not always, the gate agent will upgrade passengers who are already on the upgrade list before clearing standby pax who have a J/F ticket. I've had it happen both ways and its a potential risk when standing by for an earlier flight. In other cases, I've been able to make a confirmed flight change straight into J/F
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
As you saw from the other thread, this is an ongoing issue. Often but not always, the gate agent will upgrade passengers who are already on the upgrade list before clearing standby pax who have a J/F ticket. I've had it happen both ways and its a potential risk when standing by for an earlier flight. In other cases, I've been able to make a confirmed flight change straight into J/F
I’ve reported it to the twitter team. Let’s what they say.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It sounds as though OP was on separate tickets, not simply separate PNR's (both BA and AA would each assign a PNR, even on a single ticket).

It is not the GA's decision. This is all handled in the software with the new overlay.

Without getting into the vagaries of each and every fare basis, if the fare basis is fully changeable without fee, then all OP needed to do was to have the change made. It is neither same-day standby nor same day change. This means that if, at the time the passenger requests the change, thee is one seat in J, the passenger gets it.

If the passenger was on a Saver redemption (which he likely was as he notes), then he may make the change, but goes onto the SB list for an upgrade just like the rest of the pack.

With all of the above said, I would have made the change before departure and not waitlisted. The transfer time (not a connection) was more than sufficient and OP was reasonably assured of no major delays by that point. Unlike BA, AA protects across OW-AA ticket transfers. Thus, had OP's inbound to MIA been delayed, AA would have rebooked him (perhaps into Y), but at least he would not have lost his ticket and he would have been no worse off than originally booked.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA just does not handle standby on premium cabin tickets reasonably, IMO.
It doesn't make sense to me to prioritize upgrades over standbys. I understand OP's frustration, although they could easily ban standby on award tickets, so be careful what you wish for.
wrp96 and ringingup like this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by ijgordon
AA just does not handle standby on premium cabin tickets reasonably, IMO.
It doesn't make sense to me to prioritize upgrades over standbys. I understand OP's frustration, although they could easily ban standby on award tickets, so be careful what you wish for.
I agree but it's also inconsistently applied. I had a trip last year where one gate agent told me they would upgrade everybody on the list before processing the standby list, even if someone was standing by premium only (of course that gate agent also thought I was an employee standing by at first and not a revenue passenger). I rolled to the next flight where that gate agent told me she would process me first, over the upgrade list. Two flights to the same destination on the same ticket no less. Two different methods of processing the upgrade and standby lists.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:16 am
Original Poster

From the Twitter team:

Thanks for hanging in there while we took a closer look, ringingup. We're sorry again for the issues that you encountered when you were on standby for a flight with us. We’ve sent you a voucher as a way to say we’re sorry for the issues you encountered on your trip. While we know this can’t change what happened, we hope it conveys our sincere apology. It’s valid for one year from it’s date of issue, and travel will need to be booked on it before it expires but can extend past the vouchers expiration date. It was sent via postal mail and you should expect to receive it within the next 4 weeks. We see that your ticket was booked with British Airways miles, you may want to contact British Airways to see if an adjustment is warranted.
Don’t know how much the voucher is for! To be honest, I would’ve rather travelled first class. I had two vouchers from the catering situation last year and had to gift them to a friend.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.