Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines post-merger reflection... 6 years later?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines post-merger reflection... 6 years later?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
It's not like DL and UA haven't made the same kinds of moves. If you an International J traveler your experience has probably gotten better with any of the US3 over the past six years because you are a huge money maker for the airlines. If you are the 2-3 times a month domestic business traveler mostly in Y with an occasion upgrade your experience is either the same or worse (depending the number of times your able to sit in MCE/Delta Comfort/E+). That's the reality of the business. Parker is a creature of Wall Street. Wall Street wants Spirit amenities other than for those willing to pay and Parker obliges Wall Street.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by Uzzar
I also was CP with US for several years before the merger, and upgrades were all but guaranteed on almost any flight. I think it might have been similar to what CKs experience now. So the merger to me was like getting knocked down a peg in status.
CK certainly have pretty good upgrade chances, and I personally do pretty well. But I've been in Y a few times recently, and had a few close calls. And I'm seeing an increasing number of times when J isn't even available for sale when I'm booking...
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Uzzar
I also was CP with US for several years before the merger, and upgrades were all but guaranteed on almost any flight. I think it might have been similar to what CKs experience now. So the merger to me was like getting knocked down a peg in status.
I'll see your anecdote and raise you Beth McHugh, a CP who regularly traveled LGA-CLT. She had to settle for 20C - not even ahead of the wing - on her last flight from LGA-CLT.

Except she didn't end up at CLT; she ended up in the Hudson River. US 1549. @:-)

Later, on short notice, she flew on US out to LAX to appear on Ellen. And once again, she couldn't get into F. She had to fly THAT segment coach.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:12 pm

jayer you are absolutely right. The unions had the last defined benfit pension plan in the industry, It wasn't financially sustainable but they refused to negotiate. It left aa no choice but bankruptcy. Doug Parker promised the aa unions the " sky' as he did with us air' and after the merger reneged. Someone earlier noted the stock price history. He has made huge bonuses because of the drop in oil prices.

No he didn't "save" either airline. He made them all third class in the 3 major us airlines.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Originally Posted by Pasqualle7
AA has a dual focus and its going to cost people in the middle. The middle will move out to Delta. You have the LCC in Coach and premium FC up front. Premium Econ on long hauls can bridge the gap but on domestic flights it cannot. They close lounges at outposts and are making the beautiful FL lounges. Half Greyhound half premium. Soon enough they will be forced to go in a direction. As they lose contracts they can become an LCC or as they lose people in the back maybe they can be a full fledged premium airline. People like myself who we dont spend on J or F but enough in Y and W will slowly switch over to places where the middle of the road will be treated better. Delta is trying to become that.
I couldn’t of said it better myself . . . I’m based in Charlotte and can say that I’ve enjoyed great service, both on the ground and in the air, with the new AA - since the merger. The AA employees have been great! However, I am now switching my loyalty to Delta, even with the add on of 2 hours per trip for the connection at ATL. While I usually only purchase first class seats for my domestic travel, there is always a chance of being moved to economy class due to a canceled flight. I was okay with the once in a while economy class flight until project Oasis was introduced and 3-4-3 configuration on the international wide-bodies. I can get past the no IFE on domestic, but not the seating changes. I don’t fly LCC carriers; therefore, I no longer fly AA unless I’m traveling someplace where I can’t fly Delta. If AA management ever comes to their senses, due to their friendly and professional employees coupled with the number of nonstop options out of CLT, I would consider returning. But for now, I can sit in the Delta SkyClub for an hour or two waiting for my connecting flight.

Last edited by CLTRob; Jan 28, 2019 at 1:10 pm
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
If you're PLT and above and have an AC membership things have on the whole gotten better other than for LUS flyers that didn't need to use stickers to upgrade. You get MCE free at booking, free drinks in MCE (albeit the second one will likely involve a trip to galley), and occasional upgrades. Boarding Group 3 means you will still have your bags stowed near your seat. While some smaller ACs have closed, which bites, the complimentary food menu in the ACs has vastly improved. I remember when it was solely mushy apples and pretzels.

Now if we can just get showers at CLT, PHL and if really dreaming PHX.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by jmj9905
Doug Parker promised the aa unions the " sky' as he did with us air' and after the merger reneged. Someone earlier noted the stock price history. He has made huge bonuses because of the drop in oil prices. No he didn't "save" either airline. He made them all third class in the 3 major us airlines.
I would expect nothing different. Parker is the protégé of Bill Franke (who is currently soliciting tip$ from F9 pax).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.