Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Advice on which city to fly through Philadelphia to Tel Aviv

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

I’m looking to book a flight from Philadelphia to Tel Aviv using miles for business class. I know I will have to do a connection, is there a route that is better for equipment? We will use miles to book 2 tickets, and buy two economy tickets for our children. Any advice? We are using American Airlines miles. Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by reliefc
I’m looking to book a flight from Philadelphia to Tel Aviv using miles for business class. I know I will have to do a connection, is there a route that is better for equipment? We will use miles to book 2 tickets, and buy two economy tickets for our children. Any advice? We are using American Airlines miles. Thanks in advance!
It's probably a moot point, as you might not find it so easy to find two MileSAAver award seats in Business Class.

Why not just go to aa.com, and do an award search to see what -- if anything -- is available, and how much cash Economy Class tickets are on the same flights?

Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

reliefc Welcome to FT
Before being concerned about route/equipment you need to find 2 business class awards. That can be difficult. Have you found business class awards seats?

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Inventory availability aside, I would recommend connecting through LHR on AA/BA or BA if at all possible. As you cannot book an El Al award on the direct service from JFK (or anywhere, for that matter) with AAdvantage miles, your only option for lie-flat seats from PHL to TLV is by connecting to the BA 777/787 LHR-TLV service. The other options are IB or AY, both of which operate single-aisle aircraft to TLV.

I did DFW-LHR-TLV and TLV-LHR-LAX earlier this month on AA/BA and it was enjoyable.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
IAD-DOH-AMM/KWI-TLV if you've got the time and there's availability on QR
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by potus18
Inventory availability aside, I would recommend connecting through LHR on AA/BA or BA if at all possible. As you cannot book an El Al award on the direct service from JFK (or anywhere, for that matter) with AAdvantage miles, your only option for lie-flat seats from PHL to TLV is by connecting to the BA 777/787 LHR-TLV service. The other options are IB or AY, both of which operate single-aisle aircraft to TLV.

I did DFW-LHR-TLV and TLV-LHR-LAX earlier this month on AA/BA and it was enjoyable.
Iberia has much lower carrier imposed fees that BA, and connecting to AA or IB to MAD. MAD-TLV isn’t exactly lie flat it’s pretty comfortable in the Business Club cabin of the A319 they use, or the lie flat Business Plus on the A330-200.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JDiver
Iberia has much lower carrier imposed fees that BA, and connecting to AA or IB to MAD. MAD-TLV isn’t exactly lie flat it’s pretty comfortable in the Business Club cabin of the A319 they use, or the lie flat Business Plus on the A330-200.
Oh! I didn’t realize they use the 2-2 J A319 on this route. Yeah, this is another good option.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

The outbound flights come online tonight, so I'm trying to get as much advice as I can.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

The Heathrow layover is almost 12 hours. Is it that much better than flying Iberian through Madrid? How is the Iberian-Tel Aviv flight, do you know? Thanks for the advice!
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice here! I think the flights I'm looking at are the A330, I don't know anything about that plane. Any advice appreciated. Comfortable enough?
Is Iberian ok in economy for my teens? Any safety issues with them flying in and out of Israel?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by justhere
IAD-DOH-AMM/KWI-TLV if you've got the time and there's availability on QR
Why would they need to fly to IAD (from PHL) to get to DOH, even if that overall itinerary were reasonable, considering others like, BA/AA via LHR?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
Oneworld to Tel Aviv is tough. BA is usually the best option, but the business class surcharges are really high and LHR is a hard airport to transit. I don't know if you want to go through JFK, but RJ through AMM is a nice option. Other than that, I think Iberia is the way to go.
reliefc likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
To get a Q Suites equipped aircraft?

Originally Posted by perseus11
Why would they need to fly to IAD (from PHL) to get to DOH, even if that overall itinerary were reasonable, considering others like, BA/AA via LHR?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks for the advice here! I think the flights I'm looking at are the A330, I don't know anything about that plane. Any advice appreciated. Comfortable enough?
Is Iberian ok in economy for my teens? Any safety issues with them flying in and out of Israel?
I’ve been flying Iberia (Spanish airline) for decades. They’re safe (same ownership as BA, in fact) and the A330 is very nice in Business, and well, Coach is Coach. No safety problem flying in and out of Israel I’m ware of.
KBMIFlyer and reliefc like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 24, 2019 at 8:03 am
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
not to get off topic but what safety issues are you concerned with that would be airline specific. As others have mentioned it will be difficult to get 2 biz awards. RJ used to put out 2 seats but recently has only put out one and not put out another when it's gone. We've flown through just about every European city to get from Ord to tlv multiple times a year for 20 plyys years . It's not only seats but looking at connection times With AA youmay need to transfer in Heathrowwhich is a bear in terms of timing of connectiions and very detailed liquid searches and terminal changes . With Elal out if the picture it's increasingly difficult. We've also flown tlv to amm and on to Dubai or Doha to get home for a change of pace.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.