Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Premium economy award redemption as of 24 Jan 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Premium Economy awards can be booked on at least some partner airlines.

This booking "tool" includes PE awards

Booking class for MileSAAver Premium Economy is X class.

MileSAAver is appearing to be:
US-Europe 40,000 miles
US-Asia 50,000 miles
... but can be less

Link to Gary Leff’s View From the Wing page

Aircraft with Premium Economy:

Airbus A330-200
Boeing 777-200 and -300
Boeing 787-8 in retrofit currently, completion expected by Q3
Boeing 787-9

Gary Leff States there will not be any associated upgrade changes (Y to PE, PE to J) at this time.

Link to AA AAdvantage flight award chart including PE

Print Wikipost

Premium economy award redemption as of 24 Jan 2019

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by ChurchofTee
Yes I was able to book it on the phone.
Pleased to hear that - I'll keep trying then!
Old Feb 16, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat (LT Gold), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Keep us posted on your success!
Blueboys999 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
The reviews are in for this exciting new AA offering...
https://getyarn.io/yarn-story/6d6174...6-2b0c0a684965
donotblink likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
So I had an interesting PE find today... I was originally booked to fly NRT-DFW-MIA in Main cabin at 32.5k miles "Main MileSaver". However, today I was looking and I noticed there was an HND-LAX-MIA available for 60k showing as "Business MilesSaver". Going through the steps, it didn't show the specific cabin for the HND-LAX segment - only the LAX-MIA segment which was reading as business. I click through and am allowed to select a PEY seat for HND-LAX, and business seat on LAX-MIA (77W flight, too). I quickly put it on hold, call AA, and make the change and I am ticketed and confirmed with the PEY showing as X fare class HND-LAX, and Business fare class U for LAX-MIA.

It's worth mentioning that all other HND-MIA options on this date show 105k for PE or 155k miles for Business - using AA's new award "tool." I realize that it's not a "true" Business MileSaver deal because its a mix of PEY/Biz, but with how scare MileSaver awards in premium cabins are from Toyko these days, I was pretty impressed with this find.

Did I play myself, the system, or just get lucky with checking at the right time?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by dsp6178
So I had an interesting PE find today... I was originally booked to fly NRT-DFW-MIA in Main cabin at 32.5k miles "Main MileSaver". However, today I was looking and I noticed there was an HND-LAX-MIA available for 60k showing as "Business MilesSaver". Going through the steps, it didn't show the specific cabin for the HND-LAX segment - only the LAX-MIA segment which was reading as business. I click through and am allowed to select a PEY seat for HND-LAX, and business seat on LAX-MIA (77W flight, too). I quickly put it on hold, call AA, and make the change and I am ticketed and confirmed with the PEY showing as X fare class HND-LAX, and Business fare class U for LAX-MIA.

It's worth mentioning that all other HND-MIA options on this date show 105k for PE or 155k miles for Business - using AA's new award "tool." I realize that it's not a "true" Business MileSaver deal because its a mix of PEY/Biz, but with how scare MileSaver awards in premium cabins are from Toyko these days, I was pretty impressed with this find.

Did I play myself, the system, or just get lucky with checking at the right time?
I guess I am confused. Did you pay 60K miles to fly MIA to LAX in business class and LAX to HND in PE?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by rumboj

I guess I am confused. Did you pay 60K miles to fly MIA to LAX in business class and LAX to HND in PE?
Yes, well the other way around HND-LAX in PE and LAX-MIA in business. It was sold as a Business MilesSaver award. I realize this isn't the best redemption, but I just found it odd that all of the other options that were sold as PE were 105k miles? When essentially I got PE and Biz for 60k?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Does anyone know how to actually book saver level? I'm seeing X for the international leg available and T for the domestic when looked at together on Expert Flyer. But when I look at AA's booking tool, I only get premium economy at 80k. Is the EF inventory just phantom? Of does premium Y have to pair with domestic F?

The oddest thing is that on these same 80k Premium Y flights, business is available for 57.5k. Huh?? Why would Premium Y cost MORE than J?? There are no seats taken on the seat map in premium Y. Has revenue management just not gotten around to it? I'm confused.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Premium Economy Saver Availability?

Has anyone actually managed to book at the 40,000 mile level? I'm seeing 80k on dozens of routes and dates, regardless of how full (or empty rather) the cabin is. In addition, it's showing up as 80k even where business is 57.5. Is this a glitch or is there truly zero premium economy saver awards available?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sosfo
I'm seeing 80k on dozens of routes and dates...
What airport pairs have you tried?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Its much the same if you want to pay $$ for it - I've seen Business cheaper than PE a few times recently, and many times a flight with a nearly empty PE cabin will be P0 W0.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seeing availability on JFK-LHR and RDU-LHR. AA104 appears to frequently have availability at 40K.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: Everyone!
Geez, looking at endless itineraries of 30K main cabin, 105K premium economy, and 150K business........and this is at 331 days out at midnight CST every day for the last few weeks
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by PGHflyer
Geez, looking at endless itineraries of 30K main cabin, 105K premium economy, and 150K business........and this is at 331 days out at midnight CST every day for the last few weeks
It -feels- like a silent devaluation because saver (Z/U/Z) is more difficult to find than before.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: Everyone!
I just booked MIA-SCL (right at 329 days out) with a 30K economy award and called just to see what an agent would tell me about getting into premium economy (since I didn't bite on their offer of 105K one way - ha ha!).

As I fully expected, she said you can't pay to select that seat, more like business class than selecting a "Preferred" / MCE seat. She said it wouldn't be a problem to pay the 10K extra to upgrade my flight to PE should it come available at the MileSAAver rate of 40K later. I do see some PE 40K awards available much closer to the flight dates.

Since I am so early, I was seriously considering paying $118 each for bulkhead MCE seats for this 8+ hour flight, but what do you think happens to that seat selection fee if I am able to upgrade my award to PE sometime later? Does the seat selection fee get refunded or will it be lost?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:22 pm

Booking Premium Economy Award on AA.com - Getting Economy Seat Choices

Just tried to book a premium economy award on AA.com. Everything looked right, but when I got to seat selection, it was showing the economy cabin instead of premium economy. I've got the booking on hold; is this a common problem? If so, how do I fix it? I tried it twice in two different browsers just to be sure, and I checked seat availability and there's plenty of premium economy seats on this flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.