Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Premium economy award redemption as of 24 Jan 2019

Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Premium Economy awards can be booked on at least some partner airlines.

This booking "tool" includes PE awards

Booking class for MileSAAver Premium Economy is X class.

MileSAAver is appearing to be:
US-Europe 40,000 miles
US-Asia 50,000 miles
... but can be less

Link to Gary Leff’s View From the Wing page

Aircraft with Premium Economy:

Airbus A330-200
Boeing 777-200 and -300
Boeing 787-8 in retrofit currently, completion expected by Q3
Boeing 787-9

Gary Leff States there will not be any associated upgrade changes (Y to PE, PE to J) at this time.

Link to AA AAdvantage flight award chart including PE

Print Wikipost

Premium economy award redemption as of 24 Jan 2019

Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Although I didn't need to be reminded, being restricted to AA metal, what this new tool has done is highlight the extreme scarcity of premium awards at reasonable redemption rates. I have yet to find a single date in 2019 when 2 TATL PE Saver awards are available. In that respect this change is virtually an irrelevance.

Last edited by Blueboys999; Jan 25, 2019 at 12:32 am
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JDiver
Given SAAver awards are assigned X fare class, is X shown on ExpertFlyer yet?
FYI looks like ExpertFlyer has now been updated to include AAnytime (W) and SAAver (X) when searching for upgrade and award availability
Air Houston likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Finsup72
FYI looks like ExpertFlyer has now been updated to include AAnytime (W) and SAAver (X) when searching for upgrade and award availability
Thanks for the heads-up. Going over to EF to check it out.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
While AA is still not booking PE awards on partner airlines, I just got a PE between JFK-HKG-SGN using my AS miles for a mere 35K and $29! 50K is absurd, but I suspect the idea is to sell the seats, not "give" them away as awards. Though wish we could do a miles upgrade from Y to PE for my JFK-GRU-JFK flights in April. Maybe they'll have a buy-up option since the cabin is quite empty (as is J and F two months out!

BTW was trying to use the aa.com booking tool this afternoon, as well as the app, to check out PE availability and nothing was showing in the flight class bar.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
thank god i put a flight on hold on the 22nd. lol
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BillBurn
www.aa.com/booking/search?from=lax&to=TYO&depart=2019-01-28&pax=2&eliteLevel=executivePlatinum&milesBalance =412509&cabin=&type=OneWay&errors&App-Token&locale=en_US&pos=US

interesting, if you look at the URL that the new search engine passes when you do a search it includes your elite status and mileage balance. This suggests to me that searches may finally include the "hidden" extra inventory that is supposed to be available to EXP and CK (similar to what DL and United already do I believe).

It also passes your mileage balance which is interesting. The optimist in me thinks that they need that perhaps because they will let you book awards that you don't yet have enough miles for. The pessimist in me thinks its because they will charge higher prices for people with more miles :-)

Trying to figure out the cabin code for PE, i tried W for the LAX-NRT legs and got 32.5K. Is that the Saaver miles for PE between US and N. Asia??? We will find out tomorrow I guess. (If so there is plenty of availability for that.)

UPDATE: No the 32.5K for economy saaver. Can't figure out what code they are using for premium economy, maybe someone else can. Tool is down now anyway.
Doing it this way rather than using cookies is a dubious decision on their part. What's to stop someone from constructing and using a URL with bogus information in it? Unless they block requests which don't have the right HTTP Referrer... Nope, they're not doing that; I can use your URL as is, or fiddle with the parameters first.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: HHonors, Marriott Rewards, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Doing it this way rather than using cookies is a dubious decision on their part. What's to stop someone from constructing and using a URL with bogus information in it? [...] Unless they block requests which don't have the right HTTP Referrer
Both cookies and the referer header can be edited client-side, so that wouldn't be very effective either. If the server relies on the info for processing, it should be stored in a server-side session or something (which could have a cookie as a pointer).
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:17 am

Looked at quite a few random dates from now thru Nov 2019 for round trip PE Awards SFO-SCL. Outrageous rates...160,000 miles RT was the best I could find.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:32 am

Programs: AA EP; HH Diamond; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; National EE
Another great roll-out by American. Looking at, for example, DFW-LHR I can't find a single saver redemption at 40K for PE this year. Might have been nice to actually make some seats available at inception.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
Although I didn't need to be reminded, being restricted to AA metal, what this new tool has done is highlight the extreme scarcity of premium awards at reasonable redemption rates. I have yet to find a single date in 2019 when 2 TATL PE Saver awards are available. In that respect this change is virtually an irrelevance.
You might try looking again. As I write this I'm seeing 2 PE MileSAAver awards available (often multiple flight choices) from LHR to JFK every day for the first two weeks of March. I stopped looking after 14 days straight!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Is this the great deal AA was talking about?
Attached Images  
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Ceres
Is this the great deal AA was talking about?
When and where did AA ever say they were planning to offer a "great deal?"

Given the state of the game, assuming they were planning to offer a great deal strikes me as stunningly naive...

Regards
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by DigitalDemographic
You might try looking again. As I write this I'm seeing 2 PE MileSAAver awards available (often multiple flight choices) from LHR to JFK every day for the first two weeks of March. I stopped looking after 14 days straight!
Thanks for that - I’m happy to stand corrected there.

My error was looking for flights to somewhere that I would be interested in visiting at a time when I would be prepared to go!
sgan317 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by scubadu
When and where did AA ever say they were planning to offer a "great deal?"

Given the state of the game, assuming they were planning to offer a great deal strikes me as stunningly naive...

Regards
Since when does PE cost more than lie flat J? Or are you being amazingly obtuse....
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:31 am

If X class is now PE awards, what are they using for domestic sticker upgrades?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.