Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Premium economy award redemption as of 24 Jan 2019

Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Premium Economy awards can be booked on at least some partner airlines.

This booking "tool" includes PE awards

Booking class for MileSAAver Premium Economy is X class.

MileSAAver is appearing to be:
US-Europe 40,000 miles
US-Asia 50,000 miles
... but can be less

Link to Gary Leff’s View From the Wing page

Aircraft with Premium Economy:

Airbus A330-200
Boeing 777-200 and -300
Boeing 787-8 in retrofit currently, completion expected by Q3
Boeing 787-9

Gary Leff States there will not be any associated upgrade changes (Y to PE, PE to J) at this time.

Link to AA AAdvantage flight award chart including PE

Print Wikipost

Premium economy award redemption as of 24 Jan 2019

Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
On the phone with AA looking for 2 PE seats to LHR anytime in July or Aug. And the costs are off the charts. 110K for one way. that's a bunch of crap.
Time to burn my miles on a great NZ trip and tell all legacy carriers to kiss my A--.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by andrestaborda
Call reservations. The agents are able to see the 40k availability on this route since it's a direct flight on AA metal.
Good luck... online tool shows availability from MCO-MAD for 110k miles, SAAver tickets all show unavailable for premium economy. Looks like they're just hoping people will go straight to the AAnytime fares
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Looks like the new award chart is on AA.com... I'm a new member so I can't post the link, but uh, it's there.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage
eponymous_coward and sgan317 like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:50 am

Couple stand outs here.
  • HOLY CRAP that Hawaii cost seems egregious
  • AA didnt add a lower 48 cost so I guess its going to continue to allow MCE upgrade costs for PE access on domestic wide body
  • Why didnt AA add a cost for Mexico? They fly up to 3x daily 787 to Cancun this winter which seems more relevant than the Summer Alaska service
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by sgan317
Couple stand outs here.
Yeah, those rates are insane especially coupled with the fares to Hawaii in premium economy. AA's fares in premium and first are actually quite reasonable XXX-DFW-Hawaii IMO.

If people blow 100K miles for a $1,600 ticket, then AA knows what it is doing and we can only fault uninformed flyers for that chart.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by airb330

If people blow 100K miles for a $1,600 ticket, then AA knows what it is doing and we can only fault uninformed flyers for that chart.
The issue with that logic is it could potentially assign an inflated value to miles. If this is the new normal, maybe $100K is what a $1,600 ticket costs in miles. I'm in your camp though, and I am not predisposed to want to use miles in the case you present.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by airb330
1.6 cpm is not an unreasonable valuation for AA miles, especially since the reward flight is likely a lot more flexible than the cash one.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by sgan317
Couple stand outs here.
It's odd that Hawaii costs more than Europe for Saver level, but less than Europe for the Anytime levels.

Not that the Europe Saver levels matter, as rare as those seats seem to be.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:54 pm

Asia 1/Asia 2 being the same cost is a bit of a surprise to me.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:09 pm

My take--travelling international by myself, probably still do J. With the family in tow the wedge from Y-PE x 3 is compelling.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by swag
It's odd that Hawaii costs more than Europe for Saver level, but less than Europe for the Anytime levels.

Plenty of saver miles available on BA, though! Of course they are $1,200 each way for gas...
jcatman likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Score8
Plenty of saver miles available on BA, though! Of course they are $1,200 each way for gas...
And that is why they have availability. If they didn't levy the surcharge you can be sure you wouldn't see lots of BA availability. And conversely, were AA to start levying similar surcharges you would likely see a great deal more availability.

That's not a "BA thing" that's a supply and demand thing.

Regards
Blueboys999 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by swag

Saver Economy space on AA is quite plentiful in my experience. I also thought Hawaii pricing was odd, but I wonder if it has to do with the difference between a predominantly leisure vs business market— and depending on origin Hawaii is actually farther than Europe.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Score8
I was referring to premium economy awards, which are (for now) only available on AA metal.

There's no surcharge option for AA to push you to instead, so I'd hoped (foolishly I guess) that availability might be better...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.