Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Concierge Key: 11,300 CK Members in Jan 2019....?

Concierge Key: 11,300 CK Members in Jan 2019....?

Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by smuDC-10
...As someone that earned their CK status all thru personal travel and not by being “gifted” it due to their celebrity status, influence or company affiliation, they didn’t seem too pleased when they just saw that there may be 11,000+ fellow CK’s in the AA network. 11,300 sounds like an excessive amount of people for such an “elite” program.
they should get over it/themselves, many CKs earn it that way
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by smuDC-10
I have a family member that is CK (has been for many years) and they just confirmed to me that they received these chocolates in their renewal pack along with some neat luggage tags/cards made out of metal from an old AA MD-80. As someone that earned their CK status all thru personal travel and not by being “gifted” it due to their celebrity status, influence or company affiliation, they didn’t seem too pleased when they just saw that there may be 11,000+ fellow CK’s in the AA network. 11,300 sounds like an excessive amount of people for such an “elite” program.
Are they having problems losing out on upgrades to other CK's?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
In situation like this it is standard practice to order more than needed, just in case. I work in chemical industry and we do that as a standard practice all the time, order or make more than needed just in case. Also not surprise to hear some were used for non-CK purpose. I highly doubt that because 11,300 boxes of chocolate were ordered means there are 11,300 CKs out there.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
In situation like this it is standard practice to order more than needed, just in case. I work in chemical industry and we do that as a standard practice all the time, order or make more than needed just in case. Also not surprise to hear some were used for non-CK purpose. I highly doubt that because 11,300 boxes of chocolate were ordered means there are 11,300 CKs out there.
easily offset by the not inconsiderable # of CKs who -didn’t- get the chocolates. Trust me.
BlatheringPenguin and serfty like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC

easily offset by the not inconsiderable # of CKs who -didn’t- get the chocolates. Trust me.
Are you aware of CK’s who did not get the MD-80 tags? (Or, even of the odd combo of Yes on chocolates, No on tags.) I’ve heard a couple odd asides made that make me think the selection logic of the two was not identical. Hard to put too much credence in these comments yet as both were mailed so relatively recently.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin

Are you aware of CK’s who did not get the MD-80 tags? (Or, even of the odd combo of Yes on chocolates, No on tags.) I’ve heard a couple odd asides made that make me think the selection logic of the two was not identical. Hard to put too much credence in these comments yet as both were mailed so relatively recently.
it's my belief that all got tags, entire CK membership-- both first-timers and renewals.
Definitely not the case with the chocolates.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by econometrics
1.68 CK's per flight every day!
I was on the 1:00pm LAX-JFK flight last Monday and the GA announced they were pre-boarding 13 CKs. Sure enough there was a line of them getting on. I was somehow #1 on the upgrade list to use a SWU for F and cleared.

Crazy to think how many fly back and forth on the route each day.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA MM, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by JonNYC

they should get over it/themselves, many CKs earn it that way
They are not elitist or entitled in any way so I apologize if my post came across like that. They have just seen a decline in the benefits of CK over the last few years (I am talking about hold times they’ve experienced on the phone, missed car transfers on connections at hubs etc) and the only explanations they can really think of is that AA is not investing much in the program anymore and/or that there are too many members in the program to reliably offer the benefits to everyone.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
(Deleted)
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
What did the 10 year CKs who missed out this year due to medical issues get?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:53 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
It appears that there were SIX CK's on my HKG-LAX flight just now.

6 people boarded when they called for CK's.
I was #7 on the UG list using an SWU with my $18,000 Rolling EQDs and a Premium Economy ticket.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:55 pm

Not everyone who boards as a CK is a CK.... could also be CK companions.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by dave_261
Not everyone who boards as a CK is a CK.... could also be CK companions.
or emotional support CKs.

If you can’t make CK then be friends with one
Antarius, potus18 and Tim_AZ like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by 355F1
It appears that there were SIX CK's on my HKG-LAX flight just now.

6 people boarded when they called for CK's.
I was #7 on the UG list using an SWU with my $18,000 Rolling EQDs and a Premium Economy ticket.
The important detail you left out is whether you cleared
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:08 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Dedicated
The important detail you left out is whether you cleared

Nope. So I have an SWU that will expire next week.

First time ever not clearing on this flight but I only applied a SWU three days prior due to a flight cancellation that had a cleared SWU already applied.

I finally got to experience AA’s new premium economy and had a bulkhead so it was a fine flight over.

Oddly, #2 & #4 cleared.

Last edited by 355F1; Jan 25, 2019 at 1:26 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.