Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rude to suggest that people line up before boarding?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rude to suggest that people line up before boarding?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Score8
Side-subject: I flew JFK-BOS the other day on one of the non-F ERJs. By the time I got to baggage claim from row 12 my bag beat me there. If this was the norm, I would certainly check more often than I do (the only reason that I check is if I have 'liquids' in my bag in the form of beer).
Similar experience on DL recently (LGA-BNA-LGA), at both ends. Bags either there or <2 minute wait). Clearly they've put some effort behind their 20-minute guarantee, although I wonder if the equipment/routing had at least something to do with it - i.e., regional jet on short-ish route, there probably weren't more than 20 checked bags on either flight, probably same on your BOS flight.

If the airlines could convince more people to check bags, I think that would clearly help the boarding process. I suppose they're weighing the increased costs (baggage handlers, potential revenue loss as they'd probably have to cut the baggage fees) against faster turnaround times.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Similar experience on DL recently (LGA-BNA-LGA), at both ends. Bags either there or <2 minute wait). Clearly they've put some effort behind their 20-minute guarantee, although I wonder if the equipment/routing had at least something to do with it - i.e., regional jet on short-ish route, there probably weren't more than 20 checked bags on either flight, probably same on your BOS flight.

If the airlines could convince more people to check bags, I think that would clearly help the boarding process. I suppose they're weighing the increased costs (baggage handlers, potential revenue loss as they'd probably have to cut the baggage fees) against faster turnaround times.
I'm pretty sure it was the regional, low-volume thing. I watched my bag go down the ramp as I was deplaning. It was just after the gate checked bags. Either way, just something to consider on the short-hauls in terms of efficiency.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
i do think the boarding process sucks. Agents rarely turn away people who board when they shouldn’t and gate lice are terrible.
Maybe regulation doesn’t come at the expense of freedom. The Southwest boarding process seems to work well by preventing chaos in the first place.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jmj9905
I don't understand why the person used the words "white privilege". As far as I know, if you have the money or points you can fly F. Why do you have to throw race in the mix?
If I overheard such a term used in such a way (both pejoratively and also directed at another individual), I would consider alerting the gate agent to the bigotry. People have been thrown off of flights for less than this. Harping publicly on someone's race is borderline outrageous.
bmw745ion19s and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:31 pm

I agree fastflyer. Thanls for your comments.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
I hate the idea of standing around in line un-needed. Most of the time on AA I fly in F. I wait until the boarding starts and notice that group die down then I usually walk right up to the correct line and the agent will call me over when its my turn. If not flying F I certainly want to be sitting there for as little of the 2 hours as possible and get on at last call.

It sounds like this guy was just trying to be helpful, might have been a little over the top. Sounds like a lot of low self-esteem and insecure people were in the gate area that day too, from the comments they made to him.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Antarius
IMO, AA should have made CK and pre-board eligible pax GROUP 0 or GROUP 1 or something like that. It eliminates any form of vagueness.
CK, maybe, but we preboarded with an infant more or less at the GA's discretion on Friday morning. Would've been hard to pre-assign us to a lower group # in advance and probably not worth the effort to reprint BPs at the time the GA said "ok."
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
One of the things I've seen GA do for Gate Lice is flip the boarding card for those that have queued in advance. I still think the best thing to do, other than that passive aggressive move mentioned already, is to do what I've come accustomed to in Asia. The GA active are policing the queues.

So if you want to stand, then you have that right as long as you're in the correct line. And if you're not, expect to be pulled out of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.