Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rude to suggest that people line up before boarding?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rude to suggest that people line up before boarding?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Maybe it's because I don't regularly fly out of DFW or ORD but when is the last time anyone has seen a CK on a flight? Even in CLT I haven't seen any.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:08 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
what an odd story... whats worse, a wanna be gate agent deciding he needs to be im charge f the playground today....

or idiots listening to him and lining up?!?!
strickerj and seigex like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Not rude, just misguided. Lining up ahead of time makes perfect sense to me. The challenge is that by labeling the line groups 1-4 and 5-9, AA makes it impossible to have people actually line up in any coherent group order.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K
Regarding passengers with disability boarding...I believe what he meant to say was that they are typically boarded before group 1, but they are actually boarded through the main cabin line, not the priority line. That, too, has been my experience in all of my domestic flights with AA.

Overall, AA's boarding process is terrible. They really need to split the elites up, and they could also help themselves a little by actually boarding when they're supposed to, not before. I know that an A321 will typically start boarding about 35 mins before departure, but they never say that. Instead, I get to the gate at boarding time and wind up at the top of a full jetbridge because they've already boarded through group 6.

Carry on baggage space is absolutely the issue. I travel for work and check a bag. I do, however, have a small Cpap and laptop computer with me that cannot be checked. Lately, flights to Charlotte have been the standard, and as such the only MCE seats are usually bulkhead...which also happens to be where there's not much room. I'm not a fan of having my bag at row 12 when I'm in row 8.

Gate lice are a terrible and ever growing problem and AA is not enforcing people boarding outside of their group. I was at CAK a few weeks ago when 27 people boarded with group 1. The aircraft was a CRJ 700 with 9F. Those of us in group 3, seeing everyone with GROUP 9 emblazoned on their boarding passes decided we'd do the same. I'm pretty sure we all grumbled something as we scanned our boarding passes. Case in point...there were exactly 2 people seated in F when I boarded.
asnovici and FlyingEgghead like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by MikeShores
Regarding passengers with disability boarding...I believe what he meant to say was that they are typically boarded before group 1, but they are actually boarded through the main cabin line, not the priority line.
Indeed, there has perhaps been a lot of unnecessary misunderstanding. To summarize:
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
People needing assistance board before Group 1. Why gum up the process?
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by catcher1
People needing assistance are boarded in the group 5-9 line. I see nothing wrong with group 1 passengers lining up within the barriers (The only very minor gum-up is a CK passenger.)
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
Which airline are you flying?
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by enpremiere
I have to admit, I can't recall seeing flyers requiring pre-boarding assistance that weren't accommodated before group 1. They are often or in almost instances called before CKs on my flights.
Some may have missed catcher1's crucial word "line" -- that while pre-boarders have priority in time they don't occupy the priority lane in space.
catcher1 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:50 am

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by Often1
He happened to be wrong in a way which may gum up boarding. But, even if he is correct, what is the big hurry to board 6.5 seconds faster? My basic understanding of quantum physics is that all passengers arrive at the same time.
Maybe he'd flown outside the US and discovered that it is possible to board a 160+ seat plane in less than 30 minutes in every other country on the planet and was experimenting with ways to make that happen in the US? I know it's hard, America - but keep at it! You'll work it out some day.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
We all know the reason why "passengers" crowd the boarding area, its for the overhead space
Having taking a flight just yesterday with my daughter (father daughter trip, once a year , she is always very happy)
We were in group 1 boarding, and lets say about 25 deep waiting right by boarding zones 1-4, I just simply say excuse me and proceed.
Race should never have anything to do with this and yes a lot more things. (I am with a constant brown tan, my wife hates me for it)
RFNJ likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:45 am

I guess maybe in some locales even Group 1-4 has to worry about bin space, but it hardly seems serious enough to line up for (to me).
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:29 am
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Platinum
I am flying UA more and more and people over there start lining up in the chutes about 15 minutes before boarding starts. Everywhere I have flown on UA. It's just the way it is done. Makes sense to me. Reduces the clutter in the gate area. At least a little. GS, 1K, and active military have no problem getting to the front of the group 1 chute and people already lined up make way for them. Or they just go around the chutes. Boarding is one thing that UA definitely does better. That being said, I always marveled when flying domestically in Japan how JAL and ANA could board a 767 in 15 minutes.
joe_miami likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wjj
I am flying UA more and more and people over there start lining up in the chutes about 15 minutes before boarding starts. Everywhere I have flown on UA. It's just the way it is done. Makes sense to me. Reduces the clutter in the gate area. At least a little. GS, 1K, and active military have no problem getting to the front of the group 1 chute and people already lined up make way for them. Or they just go around the chutes. Boarding is one thing that UA definitely does better. That being said, I always marveled when flying domestically in Japan how JAL and ANA could board a 767 in 15 minutes.
even AA in NRT manages a organized boarding process!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Traveling on separate reservations but seats together on UA recently, my husband got group 3, I got group 4.
We approached the gate together when group 3 was boarding.
My husband got a green light at bp scanning, but the GA had to make a few clicks on her screen before letting me board (regular economy seats, no exit row).

Something tells me that UA system will not automatically allow boarding if the group has not been called?

On another note, I love the WN boarding process. It seems to me so civilized and stress free. No gate lice. Also, on my last DL flights, I noticed that the GAs were sending back people whose group had not been called yet (at ATL and LAX). Good for DL.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I’m fortunate to usually board in Group 1 where there aren’t issues with crowds. I’d would however, rather deal with the crowding than some random guy playing gate cop and directing the masses. Don’t we have enough rules for air travel already? It’s bad enough that some Gate Agents behave like Army Drill Sergeants, do we need to be ordered about by our fellow passengers? There is no decorum left in air travel.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by AA100k
I’m fortunate to usually board in Group 1 where there aren’t issues with crowds. I’d would however, rather deal with the crowding than some random guy playing gate cop and directing the masses. Don’t we have enough rules for air travel already? It’s bad enough that some Gate Agents behave like Army Drill Sergeants, do we need to be ordered about by our fellow passengers? There is no decorum left in air travel.
I wouldn't take orders from another passenger, but the guy was just asking if people were willing to line up. He wasn't being bossy; he was kind of sheepish about it, so the "white privilege!" and "rude!" people had it stopped pretty quickly.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Talking

Originally Posted by boerne
I doubt LAX to EZE will be a problem, but my last EZE boarding had a lot of non-rev, friend of the GA behavior going on. So watch out for that.
I'll be in Group 1 and will be glad to police the behavior of the DYKWIAs and gate lice.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
What would work best is if people would just all stay away from the door until their group is called. There's no benefit to lining up, it just encourages people to move to an area where they'll be in the way.

Unfortunately, if you don't mill around the door to the gate you won't be able to push your way through the throngs of group 8 pax who descend on the gate area the moment they start the little speech about spare lithium-ion batteries and e-cigarettes.
MSPeconomist and strickerj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.