Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Row 11 Overhead Bin Restriction A321T LAX/JFK Transcon

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Exec Plat; 2.7 m miles

On our last LAX/JFK flight, we settled into our seats in row 11.
After boarding was complete, a FA came by, opened the bins and began removing the small items placed there (because the bins hold equipment, they are about half-size and can not accommodate any large bags).
A couple of the others in row 11 asked why she was taking their things out and she said that those bins had to remain empty. They objected and said that they had used those bins on many other flights (as have we). The FA said that she didn’t care what others did and that she personally was not comfortable with anything being stored in those bins. Eventually everything was removed to other bins (we could not place anything on the floor because this row is a bulkhead).
I have sat in row 11 on these transcoms probably 50 times in the past few years and have not encounter this. I know that whatever a FA says is “the law”, but I was surprised by this. Have others experienced this on A321s.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Wasn't there a sticker/notice on the bin prohibiting passenger stowage?

If the bin holds any required equiptment, then it may not be used for passenger storage. That is in AA's safety & security policy and once that policy is filed wsith FAA, it is indeed a violation of "the law" to fail to abide by that policy.

Been that way for many, many years.

Whether AA chooses to generally enforce that on this particular aircraft and route is a risk tolerance issue for AA. More than likely, the FA or someone she knows was recently dinged for a violation.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

No sticker on the bin.
Had there been a sticker, no need to discuss this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JohnVernon
No sticker on the bin.
Had there been a sticker, no need to discuss this.
the bin with the oxygen tank and the PBE (located in the top back portion of the bin) should have a sticker saying emergency equipment only/no stowage.

i can't remember where it is (outside the bin or outside the oxygen box), but there is a tiny sticker usually. The FA likely is correct here. It just seems to never be enforced.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

I am heading back to LA on Tuesday and will go back and look for any stickers.
enpremiere likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.