Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and ExpertFlyer "Expert Flyer" issues, questions (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 1, 2016, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA and ExpertFlyer Issues, Questions
Please keep this thread strictly related to AA and ExpertFlyer

For general questions about ExpertFlyer, please use ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk thread

If you are an ExpertFlyer customer or have questions about the product, you may email customercare <at> expertflyer.com, or you can mention <at>ExpertFlyer Voice, the EF representative on FT.

NOTE: This wikipost is locked
Print Wikipost

AA and ExpertFlyer "Expert Flyer" issues, questions (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:19 pm

Thanks for the constructive replies.

1) Sounds like my odds are maybe best LAX>DFW>ORD, does that sound right? I'll only have $16K EQD by then.
2) Any insight into NRT vs HKG for the Asia side?
3) BSE118 - is there a website to count those routes as you did or do you just have to search for all the days in a week and take notes?

PS. MillionMiler/Beachfan pretty much summarize my sentiment. I don't want this conversation to get derailed by a likely intractable argument, but I did say bamboozled, not defrauded; It just isn't a good faith way of doing business to advertise that these SWUs can be confirmed at booking when in reality there's maybe <3 such seats for that daily route for the next six months and one has to pay for a subscription to a 3rd party website to factually confirm that. Sounds like a SWU is defacto a lottery ticket for a free upgrade rather than an actual upgrade. But I get from C17PSGR why they do it.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by noobalert
Am I doing something wrong or are those C upgrades for USA to Asia/Australia/NewZealand extremely rare? I searched from 1-6 months out from today and only found maybe 5 total (except Seoul had more), so I wanted to check that I am not doing the search wrong and that they are truly that rare.

For this sort Do most people just roll the dice and hope it upgrades at some point after booking?
TBH I'm surprised you found 5 dates/flights with C inventory. That's pretty generous of AA.
chitink likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:07 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
0 for 2 both times on HKG-LAX. Both times were around busy holidays so somewhat expected.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Thanks for the constructive replies.

1) Sounds like my odds are maybe best LAX>DFW>ORD, does that sound right? I'll only have $16K EQD by then.
2) Any insight into NRT vs HKG for the Asia side?
3) BSE118 - is there a website to count those routes as you did or do you just have to search for all the days in a week and take notes?

PS. MillionMiler/Beachfan pretty much summarize my sentiment. I don't want this conversation to get derailed by a likely intractable argument, but I did say bamboozled, not defrauded; It just isn't a good faith way of doing business to advertise that these SWUs can be confirmed at booking when in reality there's maybe <3 such seats for that daily route for the next six months and one has to pay for a subscription to a 3rd party website to factually confirm that. Sounds like a SWU is defacto a lottery ticket for a free upgrade rather than an actual upgrade. But I get from C17PSGR why they do it.
It's not about the destination so much as the city pair, or even more, the equipment used.
I think you'll have better odds on LAX-PEK, DFW-PEK, DFW-ICN than any of those. If you must fly to NRT or HKG, I'd guess that, ceteris paribus, you're probably best off on DFW-NRT followed by LAX-HKG. Too few J seats on the 787-8 ex ORD to bet on that unless you're booking close-in (IMO). Strong bet would also be LAX-HND if you're traveling in the period where AA is using the 52 seat 777-300ER (instead of the 28 seat 787-9).
allset2travel likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
IME, mid-week LAX-PEK/PVG has the most C availability, some even a few months out (LAX-PVG was available all of summer when I checked a few weeks ago). DFW-PEK/PVG is a close second, and the occasional LAX-TYO. LAX-HKG used to be easy with C available a few months out especially mid-week but this seems rare now.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:28 pm

oh wow I didn't realize how many fewer business seats there are on the 787
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:31 pm

C class is definitely harder to find at booking these days.

LAX-HKG is significantly easier than DFW. I've only cleared 2/5 upgrades on DFW-HKG. Most recently I was 9/36 on a Friday flight where only 1 cleared. I was flexible and the flight was oversold so I volunteered and took my chances the next day where they cleared 5 people and I was 3/25. On LAX-HKG I'm 2/2, one of them was at booking but that was back in 2017.
I've got my fingers crossed for LAX-HND on Thursday. It's all 7's on the availability and EF shows 10 seats available, but they have not opened any C space as of T-72. For my upcoming NRT-DFW on Sunday it's J1 so that's pretty much guaranteed to not clear.
In late February my Sydney flights are already J2 and J5 so I won't hold my breath for either of those upgrades.
PVG and PEK are definitely some of the easier upgrades.

Welcome to the SWU games, may the odds be ever in your favor.
chitink likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:04 pm

Good luck thursday! Stupid question, does J5 mean five seats unoccupied in business?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good luck Thursday! Stupid question, does J5 mean five seats unoccupied in business?
J5 on what? Expert Flyer?
Answer depends on the source of the "J5"
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good luck thursday! Stupid question, does J5 mean five seats unoccupied in business?
Technically it means that AA is willing to sell 5 more business class seats at the current time.

That may not exactly match with the number of unsold seats due to over/under booking, and it often won't exactly match unoccupied seats on the seat maps.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bse118
Ditto - I have never missed a SWU request during my several years as EXP. Was 9/9 last year and just today cleared for a DFW-ICN flight tomorrow. I just book the flights I need or want to be on, and let the SWUs fall out where they may. I don't bother with EF.

OP: SWU trends is a guessing game. DFW-HKG is generally believed to be one of the toughest routes in the system. DFW-NRT might be slightly better than ORD-NRT, if only because there are more seats DFW-NRT (2x AA, 1x JL) than ORD (1x JL, non-daily AA). Your rolling EQD total is a key factor here.
I'm 5 of 6 on SWUs over the last year (2x DFW-NRT, 2x LHR-JFK, 1x JFK-SFO J to F). My DFW-NRT RT cleared at booking 3 months in advance.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:39 pm

I get all my information from expertflyer. J5 would mean AA is still selling 5 tickets in J fare class (the highest biz fare bucket). The most EF ever shows in any fare bucket on AA is 7, so if you see a 7 it could be way more. Once you see lower numbers you know the cabin is likely starting to fill up.

Also I cleared lax-hnd last night about 36 hours before departure. Lucky me! Looks like the biz seat map went from 9 open seats to 1 between last night and noon today, I assume on a big wave of upgrades.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
ExpertFlyer 767-300 Seat Maps Show Rows 15 & 16

Does anyone know why ExpertFlyer is showing Rows 15 and 16 on the 767-300? If I recall correctly, there are not any seats between 13 and 17. I find this strange because for row 14, they just don't show any seats at all, so I would have thought that they would have done that for 15 and 16. I've also noticed that AA appears to always block 12 A, B and H on domestic routes which is annoying.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by donotblink
I've also noticed that AA appears to always block 12 A, B and H on domestic routes which is annoying.
Under the Air Carrier Access Act carriers are obligated to provide certain kinds of seating (some bulkheads) to disabled parties when they self-identify at the gate -- whether or not they have that seat/seat type reserved. That is not new.

https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...accommodations
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Under the Air Carrier Access Act carriers are obligated to provide certain kinds of seating (some bulkheads) to disabled parties when they self-identify at the gate -- whether or not they have that seat/seat type reserved. That is not new.

https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...accommodations
Well, I guess my point, which I admittedly forgot to mention, is that they also block row 17, which are the best Y seats on the plane and row 32. In total that's 7 premium MCE seats and 7 regular seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.