Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rumor: Changes coming to Aadvantage Program in March

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor: Changes coming to Aadvantage Program in March

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:56 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by scubadu
I'm generally a tightwad, but even I don't think 5K is a "reasonable" premium for PE over standard economy. If you are hoping for that, I think you are likely to be disappointed.

Regards
45k miles in at least one program get me TATL business class one-way, so I wouldn’t find a 10k-20k premium — meaning 40k-50k AA miles for TATL PE — to be all that reasonable. Especially if AA ends up doing to PE award availability what it has done to TATL economy award availability: marrying it mostly to rip-off YQ/fuel surcharges by gutting availability on AA metal and hoping to get customers to pay AA YQ for BA flights; and using the multi-tier pricing to gut the availability at the lowest mileage prices.

Toss in AA’s use of married segment logic to game award availability/pricing, and I’m not holding much hope that AA is going to do anything really rewarding for me with the upcoming award chart revisions and award travel booking overall.

Originally Posted by uxb
What will happen is that TATL economy awards will drop from 30k to 10/15/20k to match what BA charges now. The caveat? Good luck finding availability on a non-BA flight to avoid YQ. PE will be priced at 30k.
I would be surprised if AA were to be even that “generous”, but I would welcome that.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by GUWonder
45k miles in at least one program get me TATL business class one-way, so I wouldn’t find a 10k-20k premium — meaning 40k-50k AA miles for TATL PE — to be all that reasonable.
The fact that their is one program with a 45K award for TATL business does not mean that AA will benchmark based on that one, lowest cost data point. Again, you all can wish/hope for whatever you like, then come here and complain about it later when what they announce is, you know... not that. I'm just saying if people think AA is going to price PE @ 35K when standard economy is 30K, they are likely to be disappointed.

Toss in AA’s use of married segment logic to game award availability/pricing, and I’m not holding much hope that AA is going to do anything really rewarding for me with the upcoming award chart revisions and award travel booking overall.
I think the discussion/rumor/speculation is simply that AA is going to announce premium economy award charts. I don't think anyone (certainly not me) is implying that all the sudden it's going to turn into the land of milk and honey with more award availability. Has anyone implied that? My assumption is that PE awards will likely be as scarce and hard to obtain as any other AA award, relatively speaking.

Regards
JDiver, GTITAN and enpremiere like this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
That link got broken somehow; easy enough to manually clean up though, here it is.

For those wondering, it's JDiver reporting a rumor of exactly our fears, and noting it's totally unverified. And also noting JonNYC disagrees.
I did report that rumor. And

Today, member shadymg posted here:

...Basically what she said, off the record, was that technically they have started training their CSRs to say that Economy seats when using an SWU can only be upgraded to the "next cabin" which would be Premium Economy.

OTOH, JonNYC doesn’t agree.

Caveat: as indicated by the thread title, this is a rumor without any verification or hard data.
The rumored 77W FAT-SZX flight starting this summer is also a rumor without any verification or hard data.

The thread link is ♦️RUMOR♦️: SWU “Next Service Class” Upgrade to go to Y -> W/PE -> J -> F
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I'm waiting for the Fresno to Fukuoka service....
GTITAN, nov11, no1cub17 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:16 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The fact that their is one program with a 45K award for TATL business does not mean that AA will benchmark based on that one, lowest cost data point. Again, you all can wish/hope for whatever you like, then come here and complain about it later when what they announce is, you know... not that. I'm just saying if people think AA is going to price PE @ 35K when standard economy is 30K, they are likely to be disappointed.

I think the discussion/rumor/speculation is simply that AA is going to announce premium economy award charts. I don't think anyone (certainly not me) is implying that all the sudden it's going to turn into the land of milk and honey with more award availability. Has anyone implied that? My assumption is that PE awards will likely be as scarce and hard to obtain as any other AA award, relatively speaking.

Regards
I was just informing why I would still find the range of PE mark-up over economy class to be a poor value for me and no reasonable incentive for me to increase my collection of AA miles from flying AA or AA program partner airlines.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012

AA essentially got a $400 copay out of you plus the SWU for you to sit in J. Pretty crafty actually.

eventually when PE-J upgrade requests take priority over Y-J upgrades, then the PE cabin can basically serve as a hidden copay AA can charge for using your SWU.
I mean, if you discount the PE flight from SIN to NRT on JL, then sure.

between a 7 hour PE flight and the EQM bonus, it was well worth it, IMO.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Hi Zacnlinc! Hope you are well..

I think the issue is not with the actual DFW-ICN PE portion, but rather the SFO-DFW segment as it is not PE and it reverts to Y. Unfortunately sometimes I think AA IT systems has problems handling this. Go figure!
True...But how does it work that my next flight (SFO-DFW-SCL) offers PE on all segments even though the SFO-DFW leg is a Y fare class ticket. The DFW-SCL segment is a W fare class ticket. Just do not understand why AA is blocking out PE fares for my SFO-DFW-ICN segments. It's just a Q fare class ticket for both legs of the trip.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
True...But how does it work that my next flight (SFO-DFW-SCL) offers PE on all segments even though the SFO-DFW leg is a Y fare class ticket. The DFW-SCL segment is a W fare class ticket. Just do not understand why AA is blocking out PE fares for my SFO-DFW-ICN segments. It's just a Q fare class ticket for both legs of the trip.
What flight from SFO-DFW offers premium economy? Looking at a 1 week period, the flights seem toonly have economy and business class cabins
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
What flight from SFO-DFW offers premium economy? Looking at a 1 week period, the flights seem toonly have economy and business class cabins
I am perhaps not explaining this correctly.... Will try again.

I'm not expecting to have a PE seat for SFO-DFW legs, just a fare class ticket. The only PE fare I currently have is SFO-DFW-SCL. Have been looking for the same fare class on for SFO-DFW-ICN.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
I am perhaps not explaining this correctly.... Will try again.

I'm not expecting to have a PE seat for SFO-DFW legs, just a fare class ticket. The only PE fare I currently have is SFO-DFW-SCL. Have been looking for the same fare class on for SFO-DFW-ICN.
Have you tried calling reservations? Perhaps the cheapest option for what you want is Q class domestically with W class internationally. Looking at the fares, it looks like combining a Q class domestically with a premium economy ticket from Dallas, is cheaper than the Premium economy fare r/t from SFO-ICN
Zacnlinc and enpremiere like this.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jan 20, 2019 at 4:21 pm
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:17 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
I would be surprised if AA were to be even that “generous”, but I would welcome that.
I don't think it will be as generous as you think. With the reduction of miles, AA will likely tack on a YQ that matches BA; ending any prospect of a fee-free trip to London going forward.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: American Airlines
I’m resigned to the reality that the frequent flyer programs are no longer very appealing to my specific situtation. Once in a while, I’ll enjoy some kind of perk, but they’ve all been diluted to the point of oddities and waste.

Those 500 mile upgrades? Useless.
A business class ticket from East Coast USA to Europe? Pffft. Good luck unless you waste 100,000’s of miles.
Boarding priority? As if it matters when all the scammers roll up in their wheelchairs with whole family in tow. Same people from the wheelchairs are suddenly healed upon arrival and sprint off the plane.
My visits to Admirals Clubs have been disheartening. Seemingly overrun by a herd of ravenous goats whenever I enter the one at CLT. In PHL’s, the service is surly and hardly anything on offer food-wise. LAX, dirty, also overrun many times. By contrast, other companies’ clubs I visit in Madrid, specifically, and elsewhere are amazing with the food and service.

Some of this is due to the airline, most of it do to the passengers. It is what it is. The race to the bottom continues, including among much of the flying public who feels no compunction to behave rationallyl and courteous. Oh, let me carry on this engine block, spare pistons, and all the tools to rebuild my son’s truck ‘68 Corvette. What? I can’t?! Are you kidding me!!!! Waaaaahhhhhhhh! Mommmieeeeee!

Blah, blah, blah.

To diminish the frustration, I’m finding ways to fly less, thereby opening seats I would occupy to others who may find the experience to their liking.

Flying just isn’t a joy anymore, except on some shorter flights on the regional jets that are typically quite clean, friendly staff, and comfortable.
chitink and bitterproffit like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by uxb
I don't think it will be as generous as you think. With the reduction of miles, AA will likely tack on a YQ that matches BA; ending any prospect of a fee-free trip to London going forward.
Are ya done?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:11 am

Maybe won't happen immediately but I don't think there is enough of a bump in miles between Y and J to support PE in the medium to long term. J devaluation is inevitable but maybe AA will keep from doing it for a year or so.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:13 am

My assumption is that PE awards will likely be as scarce and hard to obtain as any other AA award, relatively speaking.

Regards
I expect a lot of availability where one segment out of 4 is PE and the other 3 Y.

Now, if we end up seeing J awards where the downgrade segments are to PE rather than Y that would be nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.