Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rumor: Changes coming to Aadvantage Program in March

Rumor: Changes coming to Aadvantage Program in March

Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Is nobody yet bracing for a change in the upgrade award chart (incl SWUs) that truly limits upgrades to 1-cabin? So no more Y-to-J. I suppose that’s not in the context of “changes you’ll like” per the OP, but it’s inevitable, no?
Nope. I am not wasting any time thinking about a possible change that may or may not come at some unspecified time in the future. I will think about such a change when/if it is announced. In the meantime I will just go about my business as usual - which in the current moment is sweating out a Y-->J SWU request for a longhaul on this coming Monday to see if my track record of never missing an SWU request continues....
JDiver, JonNYC, justforfun and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Is nobody yet bracing for a change in the upgrade award chart (incl SWUs) that truly limits upgrades to 1-cabin? So no more Y-to-J. I suppose thats not in the context of changes youll like per the OP, but its inevitable, no?
That said, if perhaps they concurrently allow complimentary/ sticker upgrades from Y to PE for elites, in-line with the domestic upgrade program, maybe thats a reasonable enough offset. And frankly, given PE pricing hasnt been that much terribly higher than Y, requiring PE to upgrade to J isnt really the end of the world.
Exactly.... That's kinda why I've been shopping AA for a PE fare out of SFO to ICN for next month. Fae wise, the SFO-DFW-ICN route is winning for the dates I've searched for. No PE fares showing despite the DFW-ICN leg has PE seating. Hmmmm...
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Like the reported "training" that began 9 months ago?
♦️RUMOR♦️: SWU Next Service Class Upgrade to go to Y -> W/PE -> J -> F
That link got broken somehow; easy enough to manually clean up though, here it is.

For those wondering, it's JDiver reporting a rumor of exactly our fears, and noting it's totally unverified. And also noting JonNYC disagrees.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
So weird....now when I click the link that's in the quoted part of my own post, it works....but still, clicking the link in JonNYC's original post gives a 404 (b/c obvious double-pasting of URL). If it always worked for everybody else, my apologies for an unnecessary post.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bse118
Nope. I am not wasting any time thinking about a possible change that may or may not come at some unspecified time in the future. I will think about such a change when/if it is announced. In the meantime I will just go about my business as usual - which in the current moment is sweating out a Y-->J SWU request for a longhaul on this coming Monday to see if my track record of never missing an SWU request continues....
this.

No point worrying. That said, I'm not holding onto SWUs and miles indefinitely with the expectation that they appreciate. Enjoy it while it is there.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Is nobody yet bracing for a change in the upgrade award chart (incl SWUs) that truly limits upgrades to 1-cabin? So no more Y-to-J. I suppose thats not in the context of changes youll like per the OP, but its inevitable, no?
My view: AA already "fixed" any internal issue with SWU Y-J by making them hard to confirm until the very last second. Getting rid of them would be a disaster for the program that targets the higher spenders. By making them basically-impossible to use in advance, they provide better value to AA by simply taking seats they couldn't sell.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bse118
Bravo.

Imagine if one planned their SWU usage etc around posts like this, last year?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29687867-post103.html

AA Adds New Companion Upgrades Policy 5 May 2018

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29682223-post52.html
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond

Fantastic for you. So why are you even in this thread that is clearly about rumored changes? I mean the first word of the title is Rumor.
So you ask a question on an internet discussion forum and are surprised when someone answers? OK then...

Point being it's entertaining to read some of these rumor threads. They don't give me (or anyone, really) any actionable info, so I don't change my behavior based on them.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Antarius
Anecdotally, a lot. Judging by how airlines who have had PE for a while (BA) have kept it and others like the US3 are adding it as fast as possible, it seems that the math is working as well.

Last week SIN-IAH was 1000 in Y, 1400 in W and 4500 in J one way. There wasn't a chance I was going to spend 4500 one way on J - I'm far too cheap for that. I booked PE and applies a SWU from NRT to DFW. PE on JL is excellent, I cleared to J on AA and I got the bonus EQMs. No brainer, IMO.
AA essentially got a $400 copay out of you plus the SWU for you to sit in J. Pretty crafty actually.

eventually when PE-J upgrade requests take priority over Y-J upgrades, then the PE cabin can basically serve as a hidden copay AA can charge for using your SWU.
Nicc HK, Zacnlinc and chitink like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
The info from JonNYC is not so useful without an award chart. Will they price it closer to J than to Y, in the hope of making people think it is a premium product?

Also, why would a disgruntled ExPlat become gruntled because of this?
They will probably make it the same as the current business, price business as the current first, and increase first
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by scubadu
Umm... because this is FT and probably about +90% of content in these forums is nothing but pure speculation?

Regards
Between speculation, hyperbole, and post-padding youve got most of it covered
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Exactly.... That's kinda why I've been shopping AA for a PE fare out of SFO to ICN for next month. Fae wise, the SFO-DFW-ICN route is winning for the dates I've searched for. No PE fares showing despite the DFW-ICN leg has PE seating. Hmmmm...
Hi Zacnlinc! Hope you are well..

I think the issue is not with the actual DFW-ICN PE portion, but rather the SFO-DFW segment as it is not PE and it reverts to Y. Unfortunately sometimes I think AA IT systems has problems handling this. Go figure!
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:01 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
What will happen is that TATL economy awards will drop from 30k to 10/15/20k to match what BA charges now. The caveat? Good luck finding availability on a non-BA flight to avoid YQ. PE will be priced at 30k.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mvoight
They will probably make it the same as the current business, price business as the current first, and increase first
No
JDiver and T. Sanderson like this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: LH, BA, AA
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
To add to this dream list-
Ability to book a R/T ticket with one direction using awards and the other paid in cash. That would be a game changer for me, at least
Two more onto wishlist

- SWU can be used on any oneworld members
- upgrade award with miles extended to all oneworld members
Zacnlinc and chitink like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.