Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Question: AA Routing Rules to Southeast Asia? Any Tips?

Old Jan 18, 19, 11:11 am
Original Poster

I have a large amount of AA Miles. What would be the best way to get to SIN from Boston?

I tried to route from BOS to DOHA and then DOHA to SIN, but it looks like I am breaking the third region rule and this is considered two separate award? Any ideas?

March 2-17/18 in Business class or first. Willing to do Business one way Econ the other. 1 PAX

Last edited by JohnnyGraz; Jan 18, 19 at 11:23 am
Old Jan 18, 19, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by JohnnyGraz View Post
I have a large amount of AA Miles. What would be the best way to get to SIN from Boston?

I tried to route from BOS to DOHA and then DOHA to SIN, but it looks like I am breaking the third region rule and this is considered two separate award? Any ideas?
BOS-NRT-SIN on JL and BOS-HKG-SIN on CX are the first ones that come to mind. You don't say what class you're looking for, how many people, dates of travel, etc., all of which will play into how easy or difficult award seats will be to find.
Old Jan 18, 19, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
BOS-NRT-SIN on JL and BOS-HKG-SIN on CX are the first ones that come to mind. You don't say what class you're looking for, how many people, dates of travel, etc., all of which will play into how easy or difficult award seats will be to find.
Thanks. I didn't realize AA allowed routing from North America to Asia 1 to Asia 2 via JAL
Old Jan 18, 19, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
Is routing through Haneda allowed as well or just NRT?
Old Jan 18, 19, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Is routing through Haneda allowed as well or just NRT?
If you're going through Tokyo you can connect in both NRT or HND. For example, BOS-NRT then HND-SIN would be no problem as a single award.
Old Jan 18, 19, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Would something like BOS-DFW-NRT/HND-SIN work? The first leg from BOS-DFW would be on AA metal. The rest on JAL.
Old Jan 18, 19, 11:50 am

Would something like BOS-DFW-NRT/HND-SIN work? The first leg from BOS-DFW would be on AA metal. The rest on JAL.
Shouldn't break any stated/known rules. No guarantees on the black magic married segment whatever, though.
Old Jan 18, 19, 1:54 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Hilton, Hertz
are you able to look for tickets on aa.com? I was trying to book SIN-WestCoast, but the website keeps coming up empty. Do i have to call an agent to find JL/CX availablity?
Old Jan 18, 19, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by dc9703 View Post
are you able to look for tickets on aa.com? I was trying to book SIN-WestCoast, but the website keeps coming up empty. Do i have to call an agent to find JL/CX availablity?
People look various places, but my go-to for searching JL/CX online is BA. If you can find what you're looking for, then you have to call AA to book. They waive the phone fee since you can't book it online.
Old Jan 18, 19, 2:31 pm

Another vote for BA. Open a free account there, then you can search CX and many others. Sometimes the AA agent cannot see flight you find on BA, but most of the time it works. It is difficult to find space on CX and JL, but in my personal opinion they are superior to AA.

You could also try to find award seats to KUL. Then add KUL-SIN on MH which is relatively easy.
Old Jan 18, 19, 3:29 pm

You can also sign up for JAL. Their web site gives you, in my experience, more accurate availability on CX and certainly on JL. It is free as well.
Old Jan 18, 19, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Does anyone still use awardnexus.com? I haven't used it in a few years, but it was always really solid for getting me to SE Asia in premium cabins.
Old Jan 18, 19, 7:02 pm

Programs: Aadvantage
You can also use the QANTAS website to look for award availability on JL and CX. So long as you have a non Oz, or NZ address, they will waive the sign up fee. I used their site to check for my recently booked SAN-NRT-HND-SIN trip.
Old Jan 19, 19, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium/LTP (+UA Silver), National Exec Elite, mlife Noir
Alaskaair.com is hands down easiest for JL but doesn't do CX
Old Jan 19, 19, 10:07 am

Programs: American Airlines, Hilton, Hertz
Originally Posted by rbw5t View Post
People look various places, but my go-to for searching JL/CX online is BA. If you can find what you're looking for, then you have to call AA to book. They waive the phone fee since you can't book it online.
Thanks

Search this Thread
Search Engine: