FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Need help with insurance documentation (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1951704-need-help-insurance-documentation.html)

gardener Jan 18, 2019 4:55 am

Need help with insurance documentation

So my wife booked a week in France with her girlfriends last October when they were all turning 60. Booked her PHL-CDG on an AA award, back on LH using UA miles.

AA canceled her flight due to it went mechanical and flew her the next day on BA through LHR. She incurred expenses for a private car to take her from CDG to where her tour was, as well as missed 1/7 of her tour.

Insurance company wants proof that the flight was canceled for mechanical breakdown. I filled out the AA webform and got a letter by email from "Vera" saying it was canceled "for maintenance". Insurance company denied our claim, said it needs to say mechanical breakdown. As if a transatlantic flight was canceled at 9 pm for scheduled maintenance.

Letter says if any issues go to URL which is a dead link. Calling AA HQ in DFW and spelling Vera's last name yields no one. Calling HQ and going through the phone tree to speak to customer service yields a message to call back during business hours.

Any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

jordyn Jan 18, 2019 9:45 am

You should just be able to respond to the e-mail you got from AA for follow-up.

You should tell us all what insurance company you used, though, so we can avoid them since they're obviously just trying to get out of paying a valid claim.

Steve M Jan 18, 2019 9:46 am

Originally Posted by gardener (Post 30670055)
Calling HQ and going through the phone tree to speak to customer service yields a message to call back during business hours.

Call back during business hours, assuming that's not what you're already doing.

Often1 Jan 18, 2019 9:57 am

1. Check your policy language. It will have a definition for what is a "covered event." It is entirely possible that "maintenance" is covered and that the front line employee simply denied.without cause. If that is the case, your beef is with your insurance carrier. I would respond and advise that you will file a complaint with your state's insurance commissioner if the claim is not promptly paid.

2. If the "maintenance" term is not covered:

#A Just respond to the email asking that AA reword the letter with the requested language.

#B Call customer service. It is answered 24/7. That is where you will wind up even if you call the C-suite at HQ.

A is much preferred as this is not going to be resolved on a call.
#1 much preferable to #2 as you can be very specific.

gardener Jan 19, 2019 5:17 am

Thanks

Thanks all. Some additional info: according to the insurance company, mechanical breakdown is a covered event, maintenance is not.

I did not think to reply to the email and will try that now!!! Fingers crossed.

I am calling customer service during business hours and getting the message to call back during business hours, however I am accessing it through a phone tree and not directly.

Often1 Jan 19, 2019 6:37 am

Given the weather situation, I would not bother calling until that situation is in hand as you will simply sit on hold. Once things clear up, select the voice or keypad options for "book a new ticket" and go from there.

Incidentally, not just for insurance purposes, but for many others, it is always worth writing down the exact reason for the delay. Usually, a member of the crew or GA will do a bit more than say, "mechanical," e.g. "we're replacing the fuse in the coffee maker." If push comes to shove, that can be helpful as the more you supply, the easier this task becomes.

jayer Jan 19, 2019 1:45 pm

Am I the only one here who is really curious who the insurance carrier is and how you acquired the coverage?

I can't image a policy being acquired as part of the ticket purchase process being quite so . . . .hair splitting. It is easy enough to verify the flight did not fly. Were they asserting compensation is due from the airline not them?

On the other hand I've had Citi balk at paying money for a cancellation AA was willing to issue a credit voucher of equal value for (even though the event for which the travel was purchased had already happened and could not be "made up for" per se--but the obvious caveat was that was third-party trip disruption insurance bundled with the credit card transaction).

lobo411 Jan 19, 2019 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by jayer (Post 30675550)
Am I the only one here who is really curious who the insurance carrier is and how you acquired the coverage?

I'd like to know this as well, so you're not the only one!

Dave Noble Jan 19, 2019 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by jordyn (Post 30671025)
You should just be able to respond to the e-mail you got from AA for follow-up.

You should tell us all what insurance company you used, though, so we can avoid them since they're obviously just trying to get out of paying a valid claim.

Why would you assert this? it is up to the claimant to provide the evidence to support the claim. If maintenance is not covered but breakdown is, it is hardly unreasonable of the insurer to want confirmation that it is a valid claim

The issue seems to be AA trying to describe the issue of the aeroplane being that it was having maintenance rather than needing to be repaired ; if AA had accurately described the situation in its reply to the passenger, there would likely be no issue with the insurance claim

FAA1996 Jan 19, 2019 3:09 pm

FYI, I use Allianz annual travel insurance and have never had a problem getting reimbursed for delays or cancellations. Always send them a .pdf of my receipt and a screenshot of reason for delay or cancellation from expertflyer and they always cut me a check no questions asked.

Often1 Jan 19, 2019 3:27 pm

How does your specific policy define a "covered delay"? The contract terms can work both for and against you.

jordyn Jan 19, 2019 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 30675641)
Why would you assert this? it is up to the claimant to provide the evidence to support the claim. If maintenance is not covered but breakdown is, it is hardly unreasonable of the insurer to want confirmation that it is a valid claim

I would not want a travel insurance policy that attempts to distinguish between the two scenarios. If cancels your flight because they realize they failed to do something required that doesn't leave you any less stranded than if they cancel because something suddenly broke. More to the point, I don't want to be caught between the airline and the insurance company trying to figure out which of these two things is, as is perfectly illustrated in the OP's scenario.

Rather, I want an insurance company that mirrors FAA1996's experience and pays out my claim for a cancellation with a minimum of fuss.

Exec_Plat Jan 19, 2019 11:21 pm

So my wife booked a week in France with her girlfriends last October when they were all turning 60. Booked her PHL-CDG on an AA award, back on LH using UA miles.

AA canceled her flight due to it went mechanical and flew her the next day on BA through LHR. She incurred expenses for a private car to take her from CDG to where her tour was, as well as missed 1/7 of her tour.

Insurance company wants proof that the flight was canceled for mechanical breakdown. I filled out the AA webform and got a letter by email from "Vera" saying it was canceled "for maintenance". Insurance company denied our claim, said it needs to say mechanical breakdown. As if a transatlantic flight was canceled at 9 pm for scheduled maintenance.

Letter says if any issues go to URL which is a dead link. Calling AA HQ in DFW and spelling Vera's last name yields no one. Calling HQ and going through the phone tree to speak to customer service yields a message to call back during business hours.

Thanks in advance.

Letter by email?

Here, I'll fix it:

...got a letter by email from "Vera" saying it was canceled "due to a mechanical breakdown". .

:)

gardener Jan 24, 2019 6:24 am

Update

I replied to the email from AA and they got back to us with a new reply saying that it was not scheduled maintenance but rather "maintenance mechanical outbound" (the exact words copied from the flight log).

We are in the process of refiling our claim and hope this will fly with the insurance company, which I will name (or shame) once we hear from them.

No, we can't doctor the letter as someone suggested. It would be fraud.

mvoight Jan 24, 2019 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 30675641)

The issue seems to be AA trying to describe the issue of the aeroplane being that it was having maintenance rather than needing to be repaired ; if AA had accurately described the situation in its reply to the passenger, there would likely be no issue with the insurance claim

I disagree. I would expect the insurance company to contact the airline for the reason, or have access to the data showing the reason. Routine maintenance canceling scheduled service is a norm for major airlines.
Fixing something that is broken is much larger possibility for canceling flights.