Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Lifetime Status / Million Miler program - discussion, speculation (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Future of AA / US Lifetime Status / Million Miler program (consolidated)

Until the new (and current) Million Miler program was launched December 2011, any miles from all sources (all redeemable miles) counted as Million Miler miles. Lifetime status granted was the same as today: Gold at 1,000,000 miles ever earned, and Platinum at 2,000,000 lifetime miles ever earned; no lifetime top tier (EP / EXP) status was, or is, offered. Further million miles thresholds earn 4 SWUs.

The current Million Miler program "grandfathered" existing MM counts because until now there existed no way to differentiate miles for MM count. With the announcement of the new program, AA announced only Base / Elite-Qualifying Miles would count and be added to one's Million Mile counter.

AAdvantage® Million MilerSM program recognizes and rewards AAdvantage members when Million Miler thresholds are achieved. Base miles earned by flying on American Airlines, American Eagle® or any eligible AAdvantage program participating airline will count toward Million Miler status.

AAdvantage members will enjoy the following benefits when Million Miler status is reached:

At one million (1,000,000) Million Miler miles, AAdvantage members will receive lifetime AAdvantage Gold status and 35,000 AAdvantage bonus miles*

At two million (2,000,000) Million Miler miles, AAdvantage members will receive lifetime AAdvantage Platinum status and four one-way systemwide upgrades

At each additional Million Miler mark, AAdvantage members will receive four additional one-way systemwide upgrades

For all members, your beginning Million Miler balance will include every AAdvantage mile you ever earned in the program. This Program to Date balance is currently reflected in your AAdvantage account on aa.com. Million Miler activity will be displayed in your AAdvantage account on aa.com separately from award miles so progress toward reaching this special designation can be easily tracked.

It's a special honor to be recognized with Million Miler status - and it is our distinct pleasure to reward such loyalty.

US has had a lifetime status / million mile program, and it counts PQM.

The greatest likelihood is current million miler counts will be merged, and that there is no way to "beat the system" by trying to inflate Redeemable miles counts in AA or US accounts; they both differentiate the kinds of miles, and no indication the Million Miler program will include lifetime Redeemable miles counts when USDM accounts are brought over and merged into AAdvantage (nor has anyone who has already caused an account merger stated to the contrary).

In the second quarter of 2015, we’ll combine your million mile balances (if you have both a Dividend Miles and AAdvantage® account) or transfer your million mile balance to the AAdvantage program.

AAdvantage Million Miler program:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/millionMiler.jsp

Delta's comparable program (no lifetime top tier status):http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...er-status.html

United's comparable program (lifetime top tier status granted):
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../lifetime.aspx
Print Wikipost

AA Lifetime Status / Million Miler program - discussion, speculation (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Mister Nice
Sure wish they would reconsider a lifetime Platinum Pro level for 3 Million Miles . I can understand not wanting to have a lifetime EP or CK level but would like to see the top lifetime status become Platinum Pro . I really do believe it’s a win win - keeps customers engaged after 2 million miles lifetime and EP and CK will still have their rightful priority and benefits . The few additional benefits that come at Platinum Pro vs Platinum are only good if folks use AA. If they grant Platinum PRo lifetime and folks don’t use it , well then no real cost .
Given how MM points were calculated at AA up until a few years ago, I think the only way we'll see Lifetime Platinum Pro (or EXP for that matter) is if there is an additional requirement of something like members accumulating 10 years at the PlatPro level (or higher).
Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mister Nice
Sure wish they would reconsider a lifetime Platinum Pro level for 3 Million Miles . I can understand not wanting to have a lifetime EP or CK level but would like to see the top lifetime status become Platinum Pro . I really do believe it’s a win win - keeps customers engaged after 2 million miles lifetime and EP and CK will still have their rightful priority and benefits . The few additional benefits that come at Platinum Pro vs Platinum are only good if folks use AA. If they grant Platinum PRo lifetime and folks don’t use it , well then no real cost .
Do you realize that there are tons of people out there that have 3 Million Miler miles and yet have never flown more than a few hundred miles paid with AA? If AA suddenly added Lifetime Platinum Pro for 3 Million Miler miles, all of them suddenly became Lifetime Platinum Pro, while people who started flying more recently would have to "work hard" for it.

In case you're not aware, until Dec 2011, all AA miles earned from all sources (credit card signup bonuses, credit card usage, hotels, car rentals, AA dining, AA shopping, bonuses on flights, etc, etc) counted toward (what are now called) Million Miler miles.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:02 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Its been nearly seven years since only BIS miles were counted towards million miler. At some point most of the new qualifiers will be using only BIS miles. Therefore yes it might make sense to tie PLT PRO to say a 4 million miler. Some one averaging 250K miles a year would take a whopping 16 years to get there. Few people fly that much year after year.
Spiff likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
I strongly agree that there should be a lifetime Platinum Pro tier, either at 3MM or 4MM miles. To ensure it goes to flyers that have "earned" it, they could also make it dependent on years at PP or higher.
Spiff likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 7:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
A creative solution would be AA realigning the program to silver, gold, plat, ex plat, and then leaving the MM tiers at gold and plat names, which would essentially promote each 1 level up.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, CO Gold, AA Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Citigroup Chairman
Physical Cards for Lifetime Elite Status

As a LT 2 Million Miler, I am LT Platinum. I don't fly enough with AA to qualify without the LT status. It has been at least a couple years since I've received a physical card from them. Do they still issue them? If so, is there a way to get one that is LT or is it renewed every year? If not, is there an easy way to show my status to a partner airline for lounge access when traveling non-rev?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I have been limetime PLT for quite a while
don’t ever remember getting a card
I did receive luggage tags last year different from EXP tags
that showed lifetime PLT status
so sorry not sure what you are asking for
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
I seem to recall reading a post that the FIRST YEAR you lose whatever status you had above your lifetime status you will get a card for Gold or Platinum showing no expiration date. I seem to also recall some discussion if other airlines would accept them as valid (for lounge access, etc) without an expiry date.
JDiver and ijgordon like this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:54 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
I seem to recall reading a post that the FIRST YEAR you lose whatever status you had above your lifetime status you will get a card for Gold or Platinum showing no expiration date.
That's what I have (the Platinum kind). I've presented it for both BA and QF lounge access in the last year without any issues.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
I seem to recall reading a post that the FIRST YEAR you lose whatever status you had above your lifetime status you will get a card for Gold or Platinum showing no expiration date. I seem to also recall some discussion if other airlines would accept them as valid (for lounge access, etc) without an expiry date.
That’s what I recall, and expect this year when cards go out.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:27 am

If you lose your no-expiration lifetime status card, will AA replace it?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You should be able to generate an electronic card on the iPhone app, and store it in your wallet. Though not sure whether the partner airlines that inexplicably need to see the card, actually need to see a physical card.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:23 am

I don't see how to generate a card in the Android app, although it does show: Name / AAdvantage # * Platinum * Million Miler.

It's not clear if partners ever need to see a physical card, although I believe there are posts here to the effect that they sometimes ask for it.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by richarddd
I don't see how to generate a card in the Android app, although it does show: Name / AAdvantage # * Platinum * Million Miler.

It's not clear if partners ever need to see a physical card, although I believe there are posts here to the effect that they sometimes ask for it.
I think in most instances boarding passes suffice for access. I’ve not seen many (any?) posts stating a card was demanded recently. The usual culprit a few years ago were the British Airways lounge guardians, who had a bot of a reputation for that. (I’ve not had a card requested for lounge access anywhere for a few years, and that must include dozens of BA lounge visits.)
ijgordon and richarddd like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:09 am

FWIW, I was asked for a card about three years ago at BA LHR. When I pointed out we were flying J on BA, the guardian relented.
ijgordon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.