Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unaware of separate ticketing baggage policy, I paid the price. Don’t like it!

Unaware of separate ticketing baggage policy, I paid the price. Don’t like it!

Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:16 am

I'm sure you asked this at Flagship Checkin, but couldn't they re-ticket both tickets into one? I mean, start from scratch and re-ticket the entire itinerary LAX-LHR-GVA. I know it would be uncommon, but that would have saved you. As others have pointed out, this can be done "upon request."

Last edited by cheaptom; Jan 18, 2019 at 11:22 am
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by bse118
This. Let's not forget (in all the wailing about this unfriendly policy and AA "not caring" about its customers) that the OP - supposedly a "loyal" AA customer - was in this situation because they did not call AA and change their ticket. Instead buying a separate ticket.
That's assuming a lot , really stretching it. It's quite common to buy separate intra-europe ticket from the TATL
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This. Let's not forget (in all the wailing about this unfriendly policy and AA "not caring" about its customers) that the OP - supposedly a "loyal" AA customer - was in this situation because they did not call AA and change their ticket. Instead buying a separate ticket.

Presumably OP did this because a separate ticket was more advantageous to them for some reason. Likely cheaper. Possibly to book the next flight that was not a legal MCT connection.

That's great - it's the customer's prerogative to make that decision - do what you think is best for you. But it's also the airline's prerogative to do what the airline thinks is best for it's business.
That's all well and good, but when the airline wants to charge a $500 change fee and re-price the ticket based on current fares negating any advance purchase for your original flight, there's something completely economically out of whack when they're forcing you to do that just so they will add another 3 letters to the baggage tag. But alas, this is the airline industry where the price of services provided rarely has anything to do with the cost of services provided.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cheaptom
I'm sure you asked this at Flagship Checkin, but couldn't they re-ticket both tickets into one? I mean, start from scratch and re-ticket the entire itinerary LAX-LHR-GVA. I know it would be uncommon, but that would have saved you. As others have pointed out, this can be done "upon request."
The airline could have rebooked the LAX-LHR ticket as a LAX-GVA ticket, but I suspect that the person was not wanting to pay for the benefits of a through ticket

No one there would have been able to take an AA ticket from LAX-LHR and a BA ticket from LHR-GVA and merge them
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
That's all well and good, but when the airline wants to charge a $500 change fee and re-price the ticket based on current fares negating any advance purchase for your original flight, there's something completely economically out of whack when they're forcing you to do that just so they will add another 3 letters to the baggage tag. But alas, this is the airline industry where the price of services provided rarely has anything to do with the cost of services provided.
Oh, so now clearly published change fees are a problem?

They're not forcing you do that just so they will add 3 letters to the tag. They're doing it because the customer is buying a different product than what they first bought. XXX-->BBB is a different good than XXX-->CCC. That's pretty obvious. If you want a fully changeable/refundable ticket - buy one.

Reminder 1: everyone in this thread has said the policy itself sucks.
Reminder 2: Few airlines have the customer-friendly policy that AA does of offering rebooking protection on separate tickets

OP is out of bounds for demanding compensation for AA following policy & for expecting AA to bend the rules to facilitate the OP's choice.

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
That's assuming a lot , really stretching it. It's quite common to buy separate intra-europe ticket from the TATL
OK? So what? Doesn't matter how 'common' it is. Point is still that customers elect to make that choice - for their own reasons. You don't get to assume the benefits of a through ticket, if you choose not to buy one.
dickinson and trooper like this.

Last edited by bse118; Jan 18, 2019 at 2:39 pm
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by ryan182
You do realize that this policy change was not solely from AA but rather from OW and BA follows the same policy...so any carrier from LAX to LHR that the OP had flown on would have resulted in the same end state.
Paying for F, I would choose BA over AA any day, as would many others.

And accepting a connection in Europe opens up a host of far better options.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:24 am

Easy solution: next time you're about to shell out a ton of money for a transatlantic ticket, fly Delta. They'll still through-check in a situation like this. Maybe if AA actually loses some business over the policy, they'll re-think it.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, so now clearly published change fees are a problem?
No of course not, don’t be silly!
But when the airline effectively forces you to choose between (1) a $500 change fee and a re-pricing at current fares that are 2x what you paid because you don’t meet the advance purchase requirements of the lowest fares anymore and (2) just buying a separate regional add-on flight, nobody in their right economic mind would take option # 1, when the only benefit of doing so is to get those 3 extra letters on the bag tag.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jordyn
Easy solution: next time you're about to shell out a ton of money for a transatlantic ticket, fly Delta. They'll still through-check in a situation like this. Maybe if AA actually loses some business over the policy, they'll re-think it.
Also United. I had no idea AA has this new policy. Whenever I think of switching over (since I live in DFW), I realize I’m better off where I am.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
But when the airline effectively forces you to choose between (1) a $500 change fee and a re-pricing at current fares that are 2x what you paid because you don’t meet the advance purchase requirements of the lowest fares anymore and (2) just buying a separate regional add-on flight, nobody in their right economic mind would take option # 1, when the only benefit of doing so is to get those 3 extra letters on the bag tag.
And, many of us do that. But 1) we know how that works, and 2) we leave significant “buffer” time to exit, recipover our checked bag (if any), recheck, pass through security, etc. At LHR that can be budgeting four hours or more, given the arriving aircraft may have to spend time inthe “race track” prior to landing, immigration queues can be atrocious, we may have to use HEX to get to the BA terminal, and finally process check-in and security queues.

Much of that information is easily found in this forum, and elsewhere. A little due diligence goes a long way.
Happy and dickinson like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond

Originally Posted by JDiver
And, many of us do that. But 1) we know how that works, and 2) we leave significant “buffer” time to exit, recipover our checked bag (if any), recheck, pass through security, etc. At LHR that can be budgeting four hours or more, given the arriving aircraft may have to spend time inthe “race track” prior to landing, immigration queues can be atrocious, we may have to use HEX to get to the BA terminal, and finally process check-in and security queues.
And 3) we don't try to claim compensation and "the airline doesn't care" when things go south

---------

I have no problem with the customer making a choice to buy a separate ticket if he or she thinks that is more advantageous to them for what ever reason. As I have said several times in this thread.

I do have a problem with that customer not accepting the risks of that choice; looking for compensation when the airline follows it's policy; and going all DYKWIA. As is the case with the OP's post.
Happy and trooper like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by chavala

Also United. I had no idea AA has this new policy. Whenever I think of switching over (since I live in DFW), I realize I’m better off where I am.
It's not a new policy. It started in 2016

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2016-a.html
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by chavala

Go ahead and book DL-BA and DL will check your bags across the two tickets. But, neither DL nor BA will rebook you should your DL flight arrive late and you therefor noshow for onwards ticket. Thus, you either book a significant transfer time in order to protect yourself or accept the risk of purchasing a new LHR-GVA ticket at walk up pricing. Approx. $365 per passenger in ET tomorrow.

AA on the other hand, won't book your bags across tickets, but will protect you in the event of a delay.

For comparison, BA will neither check your bags nor protect you.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:15 pm

I don't have any problems with the policy. I'm actually surprised that it is allowed to occur, given that it is expected that you fly with your bags (for security reasons). I don't like the idea of someone being able to add a bag to my flight without them present or waiting for the flight to confirm all of the checked baggage matches the checked in passengers. It would never occur to me that airlines would want this type of behavior. What if your bag didn't make it in time to the second airline? Who is responsible to make sure it gets to you and pays the added costs? How would you feel about the policy if you were negatively impacted by a security incident related to someone passing a bag on to a plane you or your family member was on?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by jordyn
Easy solution: next time you're about to shell out a ton of money for a transatlantic ticket, fly Delta. They'll still through-check in a situation like this.
Go ahead and book DL-BA and DL will check your bags across the two tickets.
The DL policy I found is here
To continue Delta’s commitment to handle checked baggage in a consistent and predictable way and to provide a seamless customer experience, Delta is confirming its policy for through-check baggage.Effective for travel on or after January 11, 2016, Delta will check a passenger’s baggage between the origin and destination airports that are issued on a single or conjuncted* ticket exclusively.Exceptions ** Updated 1/26/2016

In cases as noted below, when more than one ticket is presented, Delta will continue to through-check baggage from the origin to the destination.
  • An entire journey (itinerary) consisting of Delta-marketed / Delta-operated flights
  • SkyMiles Award plus a ticket with Delta-marketed / Delta-operated flights
  • Delta ticket plus a ticket on the Delta partner airlines listed below:
    • Aeromexico (AM)
    • Air France (AF)
    • Alitalia (AZ)
    • China Eastern (MU) **1/26/2016
    • GOL (G3)
    • KLM (KL)
    • Virgin Atlantic (VS)
    • Virgin Australia (VA)
  • Delta ticket plus a:
    • SkyTeam pass ticket
    • Ticket with travel on a Visit USA (VUSA) fare
    • Connection to a Delta charter flight
I don't see see where DL would thru check baggage to a BA flight on separate ticket

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.