Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unaware of separate ticketing baggage policy, I paid the price. Don’t like it!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unaware of separate ticketing baggage policy, I paid the price. Don’t like it!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
The DL policy I found is here
I don't see see where DL would thru check baggage to a BA flight on separate ticket
Sure, but in a comparable situation (to a major partner), they definitely would.

AA won't even through-check on separate American tickets.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chris8796
I don't have any problems with the policy. I'm actually surprised that it is allowed to occur, given that it is expected that you fly with your bags (for security reasons). I don't like the idea of someone being able to add a bag to my flight without them present or waiting for the flight to confirm all of the checked baggage matches the checked in passengers. It would never occur to me that airlines would want this type of behavior. What if your bag didn't make it in time to the second airline? Who is responsible to make sure it gets to you and pays the added costs? How would you feel about the policy if you were negatively impacted by a security incident related to someone passing a bag on to a plane you or your family member was on?
Huh?

I don't follow - bags through checked on separate itineraries would no be different from a positive passenger bag matching (where that is even required) standpoint as bags checked on any standard connection.

We aren't talking about people checking their bags on one flight and then flying themselves on a different flight.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
If I were a paying first class pax, I would probably cancel my ticket, ask for a refund, and take my money elsewhere (to LH/LX maybe); AA F is not that competitive anyway. It is one thing to have a ridiculous policy, but having no person who cares about customers (we are talking about EXP paying for F who is unaware about this policy) and being able to override that restriction is really irritating. I would suggest OP snail mail a letter to AA Exec Dept to nicely complain about this situation and to see what they can offer
pmeye likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by chris8796
I don't have any problems with the policy. I'm actually surprised that it is allowed to occur, given that it is expected that you fly with your bags (for security reasons). I don't like the idea of someone being able to add a bag to my flight without them present or waiting for the flight to confirm all of the checked baggage matches the checked in passengers. It would never occur to me that airlines would want this type of behavior. What if your bag didn't make it in time to the second airline? Who is responsible to make sure it gets to you and pays the added costs? How would you feel about the policy if you were negatively impacted by a security incident related to someone passing a bag on to a plane you or your family member was on?
what?

whether LAX-LHR-GVA is on 1 ticket or 2, how does that change anything? You can get off in LHR and not fly to GVA on one ticket too. The bag will end up getting pulled if you no show.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:06 am

I got a favorable outcome recently .

Originally Posted by bse118
TLDR: AA follows its published policy, customer expects "compensation" in return.

AA's policy to not through check bags on separate tickets has been well published here and elsewhere for some time. Yes, it is a customer unfriendly policy. No, it is not a customer service failure when AA follows it's own published policy. While an agent might be willing to go around the policy it is unreasonable to expect that they should. It is absurd to expect compensation for them following their policy.

And OP, you did not have a "connection". You had two separate tickets.
By contiguously referring to the voucher as a "good will gesture" and in acknowledgement and appreciation of my of my long term business. I made a specific point of only saying that I realized that of course it was not "compensation".
Airlines ONLY pay compensation in two specific circumstances:
1-Involuntary denied boarding-- if you refuse the travel voucher offer -- and only to the minimum extent required by law.
2-when luggage is lost and only for the minimum required.
But I digress, I don't know why this post got 16 likes.It's not like you carried omn and were inappropriate, you merely expressed disappointment at AA not accommodating your request.

Why did you not use the EVIPS?
1- Because you usually fly paid F on three cabin and J on 2 cabin?
2-Family situation?
3- Altered travel pattern from norm? i.e. more domestic than usual?
4- family member/friend who you gifted the upgrade instrument and they did not clear?

If you feel strongly write a business letter on accrual paper to an AA executive and send it second day Fedex.
Don't tie in the the request to thee luggage check in
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by shd9
If I were a paying first class pax, I would probably cancel my ticket, ask for a refund, and take my money elsewhere (to LH/LX maybe); AA F is not that competitive anyway. It is one thing to have a ridiculous policy, but having no person who cares about customers (we are talking about EXP paying for F who is unaware about this policy) and being able to override that restriction is really irritating. I would suggest OP snail mail a letter to AA Exec Dept to nicely complain about this situation and to see what they can offer
What makes you think this was a fully refundable First ticket without change fees, rather than a ticket with significant change fees and refunding to a voucher good for future flights on AA? Or that the LH/LX Fare, now a full walk up fare or close to it, wouldn’t come with a significantly higher price? (Not to mention the LH and LX hard products are not a quantum improvement over AA at all)?

Originally Posted by writetorich
By contiguously referring to the voucher as a "good will gesture" and in acknowledgement and appreciation of my of my long term business. I made a specific point of only saying that I realized that of course it was not "compensation".
Airlines ONLY pay compensation in two specific circumstances:
1-Involuntary denied boarding-- if you refuse the travel voucher offer -- and only to the minimum extent required by law.
2-when luggage is lost and only for the minimum required.

But I digress, I don't know why this post got 16 likes.It's not like you carried omn and were inappropriate, you merely expressed disappointment at AA not accommodating your request.

Why did you not use the EVIPS?
1- Because you usually fly paid F on three cabin and J on 2 cabin?
2-Family situation?
3- Altered travel pattern from norm? i.e. more domestic than usual?
4- family member/friend who you gifted the upgrade instrument and they did not clear?

If you feel strongly write a business letter on accrual paper to an AA executive and send it second day Fedex.
Don't tie in the the request to thee luggage check in
That is far from being accurate. Airlines vary over the planet on compensation policies, and AA extends compensation for other issues as well. And I’ve personally observed IDB compensation at relatively high levels according to the airkine’s need to accommodate passengers on oversold flights. (E.g. on an international flight, to pax on deeply discounted economy seating, $1,000, vouchers for taxi, hotel and meals, reaccommodation in Business class the following day.) Compensation for items purchased, up to and including a moderately priced suit, in cases if delayed baggage, etc.)

But it’s likely AA Will not offer any because a customer is miffed that they followed their policies on baggage transfers merely because the customer was ignorant of that policy.
Often1 likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 20, 2019 at 8:25 am
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Even if OP were flying US-CDG on DL and transferring to an AF ticket CDG-GVA, a situation where DL will check bags across tickets, if OP were to no show for his AF flight, his ticket would be cancelled and retain whatever value it retains under the AF fare rules for that ticket. That is likely $0.

Thus, the choice for OP would be to fly as ticketed and either fly without checked luggage or allow enough time to claim and recheck his bags on AA-BA or to fly DL-AF and have his bags checked through but his transfer not protected.

Or he could purchase a single ticket with a connection at LHR or CDG as he chooses.

All a way of saying that just like everything else, there are choices as to service level, hard and soft product and one must choose those which are important for the particular trip.

Last edited by Often1; Jan 20, 2019 at 9:09 am
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by jordyn
AA won't even through-check on separate American tickets.
Yep, this is the height of stupidity for elites who don't have checked bag fees. They are essentially adding burden to everyone: ticket counter agents, baggage handlers, TSA (baggage and person), and of course the customer (and other customs with the additional lines) ... all for what? I get they want to maximize revenue for a journey, but it is far from a foregone conclusion a customer will choose a single AA ticket over multiple AA tickets or competitive ticket(s).

If they do through check bags on a mixed itinerary, its really no burden for AA, because the last carrier is responsible to get the bags to the destination, so they're not even on the hook.

AA will even refuse to through check baggage on a long yet valid connection (<24 hrs). Thankfully there are airlines with great customer service such as CX that will literally retag your checked bags (while you sit in the US gateway lounge) such that you don't have to claim, store and recheck your bags in HKG for your overnight international to international connection.

The caveat is that if you can through check bags with separate tickets if they are in the same PNR. Which of course normal customers can't do, but travel agents can. That would be a nice website for someone to make.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA can book multiple tickets into a single PNR. It will likely take a supervisor because front-line agents are not trained on this, but it can be done by phone.

For what it is worth, BA will not check bags across its own tickets either (other than when booked into a single PNR) even at LHR where it has a highly-integrated FLY system to coordinate the entire dance associated with check-in, connections, and conformance.
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
What makes you think this was a fully refundable First ticket without change fees, rather than a ticket with significant change fees and refunding to a voucher good for future flights on AA? Or that the LH/LX Fare, now a full walk up fare or close to it, wouldn’t come with a significantly higher price? (Not to mention the LH and LX hard products are not a quantum improvement over AA at all)?
Wait a minute. On a (two) LH/LX ticket(s) the OP wouldn't have had this problem at all in the first place. They would have had checked his baggage thru. Period. I consider this a huge improvement.
GUWonder and rufflesinc like this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by shd9
Originally Posted by JDiver
Originally Posted by pmeye
Wait a minute. On a (two) LH/LX ticket(s) the OP wouldn't have had this problem at all in the first place. They would have had checked his baggage thru. Period. I consider this a huge improvement.
You're moving the goalposts, pmeye

The full thread of conversation the JDiver was referring to is above. It was in reference to a suggestion (based on an assumption of a refundable fare) that OP should have, upon being informed of the no through checked on separate tickets policy at the check-in desk, cancelled his AA ticket to LHR and purchased a last-minute through fare at LH/LX to GVA. Not separate tickets.

Had OP purchased a through fare on AA/BA (or changed his existing AA ticket to GVA) OP also wouldn't have had this problem in the first place.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by tomj888
Does anyone have any other suggestions please?
Give away your expiring SWUs: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...8-edition.html
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader

Paying for F, I would choose BA over AA any day, as would many others.

And accepting a connection in Europe opens up a host of far better options.

I am not sure sure about the AA versus BA F opinion. On top of that, OP has not had a single word on what his original ticket fare was. He just added the BA LHR-GVA segment to avoid the bad weather at London but he made the very poor decision of picking a short connection by his own admission. His LAX-LHR AA F ticket might very well be a deep discount paid ticket that it would cost him quite a bundle should he change it. Given he is an exp by his playing the DYKWIA card, if it is an award ticket he can easily change the destination without fee. Hence my assumption here is, his original ticket was a paid ticket with deep discount that would be significant cheaper than a BA F not on sale,

On top of that BA F is not any better comparing to AA F, as BA F is still flying the products that are more than a decade old in high density, plus the foods and services are very mixed, often to the worse side.

It is perfectly fine to have 2 separate tickets. We do that all the time. However anyone has any tiny bit of experience at LHR would know the MCT is minimum 90 min and the reality is often MUCH LONGER, especially when you need to go between terminals. I would venture to say, a 4 hours minimum buffer is needed for any transfer at LHR with separate tickets.
Picking a short connection is a fools game when you are on separate tickets - you dont have a connection by all means, except in your mind.
AA's policy of protecting the misconnect if the onward ticket is on OW carrier is actually a rather generous one already.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 20, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Somewhat off topic, but I’ll have to disagree with a broad categorization of an inferior BA First product across the board. We’ve flown F on the A380, and IMO it’s a cut above BA 747 or 777 F.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Happy

It is perfectly fine to have 2 separate tickets. We do that all the time. However anyone has any tiny bit of experience at LHR would know the MCT is minimum 90 min and the reality is often MUCH LONGER, especially when you need to go between terminals. I would venture to say, a 4 hours minimum buffer is needed for any transfer at LHR with separate tickets.
Not sure where you got that MCT from (though I'd agree that on separate tickets 4 hours is a reasonable buffer)

MCT at LHR where is change in terminal is needed is 90 minutes as per the LHR connections planner and tens of thousands of people connect each day with little or no problems and often a lot quicker than that. A T5-T5 MCT is 60 minutes.

They also make it clear that on separate tickets you are not connecting and so MCTs don't apply.

IF the OP had been on a single ticket and his LAX flight was late then BA would soon rebook him onto a later GVA flight (there is literally one an hour in the afternoon / early evening) with no issues.

I'm still interested to know which GVA flight he was booked on that he felt he could have made if his bags had been checked through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.