Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MAX & Oasis big bins: Agents told not to Proactively Gate Check Bags Jan 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MAX & Oasis big bins: Agents told not to Proactively Gate Check Bags Jan 2019

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:21 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by donotblink
So I just took two flights this weekend LGA -> MIA and back, both on the 737 MAX. At the boarding gate for both flights, they announced that if people were in the upper groups (8 and 9 IIRC) they would need to gate check their bags. I was in 8C and the pax in 9A was crying historically to a flight attendant--she was saying that the people at the end of the jet-bridge made her check her bag and that she still saw space in the overhead bin. She claimed that her son's babysitter in NYC would need to leave shortly after the flight landed and that she didn't want her son to be left at home alone. I don't know the full circumstances of what was going on in this person's life, but I'm not sure why she booked flights knowing she wouldn't have child care in the event of any IRROPS or anything. I hate to be cynical, but she could have just been lying because she was impatient. She got up after everyone was in their seats to go back to the jet-bridge (ignoring instructions from crew-members to sit down) to get her bag, but they had already taken it down.
NYC/MIA flights (with many connecting on South) paxs tend to bring large bags so it would be no surprise that even on the Max overhead space could run out. I can understand GAs proactively telling groups 8 and 9 they to check bags as if there is no space towards the end it becomes a real cluster you know what. People trying to swim upstream while others trying to board awhile the flight goes out late.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
NYC/MIA flights (with many connecting on South) paxs tend to bring large bags so it would be no surprise that even on the Max overhead space could run out. I can understand GAs proactively telling groups 8 and 9 they to check bags as if there is no space towards the end it becomes a real cluster you know what. People trying to swim upstream while others trying to board awhile the flight goes out late.
The flight attendants also specifically told people not to place their bags on their sides for some reason.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
People seem to forget that although their are larger bins in a 737-8 Max, there are also 12 more people in coach compared most of the 737-800 fleet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.