Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2014-2017 AA Miles Award: TN / Air Tahiti Nui award redemptions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2014-2017 AA Miles Award: TN / Air Tahiti Nui award redemptions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by zarzuela
Hello! Any news on the remaining aircraft with the old configuration?
Are there any plans to retrofit it?
Thank you guys.
They only have five Airbus A340-300. By now, they should all be reconfigured. TN only offer one seat chart, for the no First now, but 32 old style SOGERMA Evolys Perava slanted flat Business seats and 264 GEVEN Steezy seats in Moana Coach.

Are you saying there's still one aircraft that has not undergone the CIP?

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 7, 2014 at 10:49 pm
Old Aug 8, 2014, 12:15 am

Programs: American Advantage, Kris Flyer
Originally Posted by JDiver
They only have five Airbus A340-300. By now, they should all be reconfigured. TN only offer one seat chart, for the no First now, but 32 old style SOGERMA Evolys Perava slanted flat Business seats and 264 GEVEN Steezy seats in Moana Coach.

Are you saying there's still one aircraft that has not undergone the CIP?
Hello! Yes, it is my understanding that F-OLOV still has the old configuration.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 7:09 am

They only have five Airbus A340-300. By now, they should all be reconfigured.
Unfortunately not true. 2 are still old and there is absolutely no rules
how they assign them. There was a rumor Paris and AKL flights were getting
the new planes, but it is not true, it's completely random.
I heard 4th plane should be done this year, but it doesn't seem to be happening...
Old Aug 9, 2014, 4:08 am

just booked LAC to PPT using miles for one of my tickets for our honeymoon - 75,000 miles and saved 1600 - over 2 cents a mile, not bad. Now I have 11 months to watch the prices. Since ATN is the only carrier on this route, is there any chance of much movement on the price? How far our is the usual best time to get the lowest price (flying June of 2015)?
Old Aug 9, 2014, 7:35 am

I posted this on another thread but since it has been asked, TN site shows only 3 of 5 converted:

Current retrofit based on Air Tahiti Nui Website (Accessed 8-6-14)
Bora Bora "FOJTN" March 2002
Mangareva "FOJGF" April 2002 - New aircraft configuration
Rangiroa "FOSEA" Janurary 2003 - New aircraft configuration
Moorea "FOSUN " February 2003 - New aircraft configuration
Nuku Hiva "FOLOV" June 2005

I then went and pulled all the flights since May and linked that back to the aircraft in question. I pulled for the flights that mattered to me. Note that the day of week listed below is based on GMT not local departure time so you need to do some mental gymnastics to get back to the local departure day.

"

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 9, 2014 at 12:11 pm Reason: adjust command and minor airline name edit
Old Aug 9, 2014, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Woodsmit
I posted this on another thread but since it has been asked, TN site shows only 3 of 5 converted:

Current retrofit based on Air Tahiti Nui Website (Accessed 8-6-14)
Bora Bora "FOJTN" March 2002
Mangareva "FOJGF" April 2002 - New aircraft configuration
Rangiroa "FOSEA" Janurary 2003 - New aircraft configuration
Moorea "FOSUN " February 2003 - New aircraft configuration
Nuku Hiva "FOLOV" June 2005

I then went and pulled all the flights since May and linked that back to the aircraft in question. I pulled for the flights that mattered to me. Note that the day of week listed below is based on GMT not local departure time so you need to do some mental gymnastics to get back to the local departure day.
Great information; thanks! I've updated the wiki with this (and some supplemental) information. (I do have to wonder why they are taking so plurry long). Do the old config still have Poerava First? I can't imagine they do, or that they sell it at least.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 9, 2014 at 12:12 pm
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA CK/MM, Centurion
Ugh anyone with experience finding and booking TN awards, please chime in. I'm looking for PPTLAX next June. The date I wanted was available yesterday, but suddenly disappeared today. Is this something that happens quite often? One peculiar thing that's happened is there's now a ton of blocked seats on the seat map that weren't there previously. I've got an EF alert set, but I'm wondering if I should book an alternate date. I just don't want to get hit with a change fee if my preferred date opens up. So frustrating.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:10 pm

Flights

I got 2 business for next June exactly 330 days in advance. It looks like they release 2 business and 6 coach on each flight.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blakepilot
Ugh anyone with experience finding and booking TN awards, please chime in. I'm looking for PPTLAX next June. The date I wanted was available yesterday, but suddenly disappeared today. Is this something that happens quite often? One peculiar thing that's happened is there's now a ton of blocked seats on the seat map that weren't there previously. I've got an EF alert set, but I'm wondering if I should book an alternate date. I just don't want to get hit with a change fee if my preferred date opens up. So frustrating.
Look at it this way: French Polynesia is an aspirational destination with fewer and fewer airlines serving it (some years ago, we flew LAX to PPT and return via QANTAS 747SP twice, and NZ also offered frequent flights - now it looks like they code share with TN).

Some days will be busy with Paul Gauguin and Windstar cruise passengers, with each buying blocks of seats; and as an overseas French dependency, you are dealing with significant French tourism and official (administrative, police, etc.) traffic as well (exotique and French-speaking, ideal for French tourisme). For all of this and their other destinations, TN only has five A340s.

As well, one award seat isn't likely to last long; here today, gone tomorrow. Lots of folks trying for those.

Flexibility is good, and mere date changes of AA awards do not incur change or redeposit fees.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA CK/MM, Centurion
Flexibility is good, and mere date changes of AA awards do not incur change or redeposit fees.
Ah - this I had forgot. I haven't booked award travel since I was an EXP a year ago. Then, I never worried about the fees. Took that advice and booked the alternate date. Now, here's to hoping someone just put that my preferred date on hold today and I'll get my original date in a few days! ^
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
Can AA assign seats on TN flights, or do I need to call TN directly if booked with AA miles?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Get the TN confirmation number and call them directly. Don't dally long after booking, when the cabin gets tight, they block out the remaining seats for airport checkin.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:39 pm

Tahiti

Just as a more recent data point. It appears that Air Tahiti Nui releases 2 business and 6 coach seats per flight. I tracked this rather extensively. You really need to book at the 331 day mark as the seats go quickly. It does not look like they release any more seats when these are taken. You can't find Air Tahiti Nui sites by using AA.com. You can find them on expertflyer and I presume some other platforms.

As others have clearly stated the airline that flies from Tahiti (PPT) to the other islands is Air Tahiti (not Air Tahiti Nui). THis is a separate airline and they are not partners with anyone. $$ only.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by flightmedic
Just as a more recent data point. It appears that Air Tahiti Nui releases 2 business and 6 coach seats per flight. I tracked this rather extensively.
It depends on the route. I just ticketed 3 J award seats on the same flight 5 days ago.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by millionmiler
It depends on the route. I just ticketed 3 J award seats on the same flight 5 days ago.
What was the routing you were able to book 3 seats in business?

Similar to FlightMedic, I've tracked LAX-PPT daily since Feb. '14 and have never seen more than 2 biz open up. I need 3 seats in Biz and at the moment and have been stuck with 2 since booking in April. Heck, if TN would offer AA EQP/EQM again, I would even spend the cash to buy the last seat I need Biz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.