Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

A Cautionary tale...Did I do the right thing changing award booking?

Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX

Around the time I joined FT I booked 2 Business class tickets R/T for 220,000 miles (each) to FRA. After months of reading and learning I did a new search today and decided to rebook with a less desirable itinerary but a lot less miles and, as a bonus, better planes. It cost me $300 to put 440,000 miles back in our accounts but I got our desired destination and dates, I got them on one PNR and I was able to use knowledge gained on FT to realize 105,000 miles X 2 is worth the change fee. So, thank you FT advisors. Anyone new or unsure ASK questions and read topics you don't even realize you need to read.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:30 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
You live and you learn in this game.

$300 for the miles you got back via re-booking is a palatable learning experience in my opinion.

I think we have all "overpaid" a time or two for an award when there was better inventory/routing/planes to be had. But does that negate the great deals and savings we usually find? Not by a long shot.

But do realize that sometimes, if you need to get somewhere, that you might just have to pay the big bucks (or big miles in this case) to make sure you get a ticket. The primo inventory may never appear in time to get it ticketed.
BLG likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2mm, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jtav559
You live and you learn in this game.

$300 for the miles you got back via re-booking is a palatable learning experience in my opinion.

I think we have all "overpaid" a time or two for an award when there was better inventory/routing/planes to be had. But does that negate the great deals and savings we usually find? Not by a long shot.

But do realize that sometimes, if you need to get somewhere, that you might just have to pay the big bucks (or big miles in this case) to make sure you get a ticket. The primo inventory may never appear in time to get it ticketed.
He paid $300 to get back 210k miles and sit on better planes, albeit with a worse itinerary. Hardly a "learning experience". The learning was the months of FT reading that got him to find the new itinerary and essentially buy back his miles for ~1/10th of a cent per mile. No brainer really.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Optimally, the OP would have found a schedule or equipment change that would have caused the redeposit fee to go back to $0, but it's great that the OP is satisfied with the outcome!
hipquest likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:27 am
JBD

Originally Posted by hipquest
Around the time I joined FT I booked 2 Business class tickets R/T for 220,000 miles (each) to FRA. After months of reading and learning I did a new search today and decided to rebook with a less desirable itinerary but a lot less miles and, as a bonus, better planes. It cost me $300 to put 440,000 miles back in our accounts but I got our desired destination and dates, I got them on one PNR and I was able to use knowledge gained on FT to realize 105,000 miles X 2 is worth the change fee. So, thank you FT advisors. Anyone new or unsure ASK questions and read topics you don't even realize you need to read.
Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the OP have been charged $175 (not $300) to reinstate the miles from 2 roundtrip award tickets?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Only if the miles came from a single account. There's a reference to 'our accounts' in the first post.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Originally Posted by emcat
He paid $300 to get back 210k miles and sit on better planes, albeit with a worse itinerary. Hardly a "learning experience". The learning was the months of FT reading that got him to find the new itinerary and essentially buy back his miles for ~1/10th of a cent per mile. No brainer really.
You are right, reading FT gave me the knowledge to even know I could/should look. Also, I'm a she

@jtav559 "The primo inventory may never appear in time to get it ticketed." Exactly why I booked originally and I may do it again but y'all taught me how to save on the change fee among so many other things.
donotblink likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.