Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat blocking question with lap infant

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Seat blocking question with lap infant

Mrs. Meathead and the Little Meathead and I are traveling ORD-DFW on Friday on a BE ticket. Little Meathead is a lap infant. Flight is operated by a 738. When we book, say, the A and C seats, the system blocks the B seat, and that block follows us around even when I change rows/seats. Does anyone know why this is the case? aa.com support is no help (agent kept asking me if I wanted to reserve the B seat and eventually just left me on hold for about 5 minutes and counting).

Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Agent ultimately left me on hold for about 10 mins and came back on the line to swear up, down, and sideways that, every time I change our seat assignments, at the exact same moment in time, another passenger/other passengers are reserving the middle seat in the new row and moving out of the middle seat in the old row. This beggars belief. At the very least, is there someone else I can talk to who can answer my question besides Reservations or aa.com support?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
OMG you're funny

mrs meathead.....
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: Executive Platinum
What happens if you book two aisle seats?

Just a wild guess. Is AA temporarily blocking the middle seat because you have a lap infant?
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by jagoffee

Just a wild guess. Is AA temporarily blocking the middle seat because you have a lap infant?
That's what I thought. There might be programming that allows for this as long as the load factor is at some percentage. However, I wouldn't count on that seat remaining empty at door closing.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
I have seen other threads about how the middle seat is blocked in cases of a couple travelling with a lap infant when travelling on AA. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:22 am
Original Poster

That would be my guess, yeah. I'm just a little frustrated that no one at AA can confirm this. Really it's annoying because I don't know if anyone is actually in that middle seat and, consequently, if I need to find another row where the middle isn't currently reserved. Unless I look at the seat map available if I do a dummy booking. Which shows the middle seat empty.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
hmmm, maybe I need to start traveling with an infant if it automatically blocks the seat next to me
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
hmmm, maybe I need to start traveling with an infant if it automatically blocks the seat next to me
Oh, it gets better: If you're traveling with an infant on BA, you can book a BE ticket and select any WT seat on the plane for free at booking. Doesn't even have to be a bassinet seat.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Good question. The seat next to me is empty, but the seat next to Mrs. Meathead is blocked. I thought I told them to list the infant as traveling in my lap, but maybe he's listed as traveling in hers?
jagoffee likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
FARs require infants have oxygen masks available in emergencies. I suspect the blocked seat is to assure the lap infant will have emergency O2 available.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
FARs require infants have oxygen masks available in emergencies. I suspect the blocked seat is to assure the lap infant will have emergency O2 available.
But aren't there 4 oxygen masks per 3 seats on a 738 (or any airplane with 3-3 seating in coach) for this purpose? I don't see what blocking a middle seat has to do with this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
But aren't there 4 oxygen masks per 3 seats on a 738 (or any airplane with 3-3 seating in coach) for this purpose? I don't see what blocking a middle seat has to do with this.
Are there? I’ve not looked, because that issue doesn’t affect me.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:05 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by JDiver
Are there? I’ve not looked, because that issue doesn’t affect me.
When I've traveled with a lap infant, and they've been added to the ressie, AA.com automatically prevented me from selecting certain seats that are open. Or if I tried to add a lap infant at the airport, I've been kicked out of my seat. The ticket agent says it's due to the oxygen mask count for those seats.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: AY GOLD, HH GOLD
It is an automated seat block for the infant as long as load factor allows it. Just go ahead with aisle & window and if plane is full and someone is assigned to the middle seat they'll be more than happy to take the aisle or window. Done this multiple times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.