Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP with AA traveler documents vs. passenger info mismatch AFTER first flight seg!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HELP with AA traveler documents vs. passenger info mismatch AFTER first flight seg!?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

About a month ago I started having tons of issues with mobile app check-in and having to go check-in with an agent at the airport. My US Passport has my Irish "Mc" last name but has a space after part of it and then under "given names" lists my first name and middle name.

I usually can check-in fine via the app for my first flight. Sometimes I can't and it says mismatch and it will be a middle name issue or the space in my last name.

However, if I ever have to check-in at the airport or print a boarding pass, my passenger information seems to UPDATE incorrectly and I can no longer check in for any subsequent flight segments due to the mismatch. For example, my info will be "First Middle Last" but second segment my info is "First Middle Middle Last" with my middle in both the first name field and middle name field or "First Middle La st" with a space.

The only thing I can think is when my passport scans it picks up these errors and updates my passenger info which then of course doesn't match my passport info. How can I fix this? It started happening a couple months ago and is extremely annoying as a frequent traveling exec plat.

I don't think my passport is incorrect, I think when they print a name with a "Mc" they just add a little bit of a space even though there is not a space in my name. I don't think my First Middle is incorrect - they just list both on the same line of "Given Names". I don't think I can update my AA profile or ticket or TSA b/c then they won't match my actual name and travel documents.

It is driving me insane and AA says there is nothing they can do, I just won't ever be able to check in online anymore. It worked just fine for years why the sudden issue?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Have you called the State department, Passports? MAYBE that space after Mc is an issue. They would be able to offer guidance, I've had to contact them recently and they were extremely helpful. Call them 877-487-2778, I think they are available until 10 pm est.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hipquest
Have you called the State department, Passports? MAYBE that space after Mc is an issue. They would be able to offer guidance, I've had to contact them recently and they were extremely helpful. Call them 877-487-2778, I think they are available until 10 pm est.
Thanks, I’ll try calling them. But maybe that’s a secondary issue - there def seems to be an issue where AA is modifying my traveler info after first flight segment like adding duplicate middle name and things and my hypothesis is bc of a passport scan (same with the space) otherwise it sometimes lets me check in just fine. My passport/TSA don’t have the space digitally just on the printed passport. Weird.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I think State dept. is one of the departments that is shut down. So don't be knocked out if no one answers.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by redtop43
I think State dept. is one of the departments that is shut down. So don't be knocked out if no one answers.
I called and they actually did answer. Must be essential employees.

They said there is a “little bit of a space” but weren’t able to understand if it was a space or would be an issue. It’s low probability that both of my passports would have the same issue. I never had an issue until now but I’ll go back and look at my old passport to see if that had a space. Big pain to go to passport agency to get them reissued and likely won’t fix anything.

Even with that fixed I still likely would have the issue from AA and them duplicating my middle name. I don’t understand why all of a sudden having this issue. Ugh.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Originally Posted by redtop43
I was a bit surprised that during the current shutdown my husband's passport renewal was turned around in a week, overnighted application on 12/28/2018 to passport delivered on 01/04/2019.

To OP, have you called AA to have your information confirmed and re-entered by a CSA? I went through a period a year or so after I got married (2000) where I got the SSSS code every time I flew even though everything had technically been changed, A wonderful USAirways agent spent time to dig down and found one record that still showed my maiden name.that seemed to be triggering the flag. No idea if this is the cause of your issue but a lot of updates have been happening. Perhaps a hard refresh of your account could help?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hipquest
I was a bit surprised that during the current shutdown my husband's passport renewal was turned around in a week, overnighted application on 12/28/2018 to passport delivered on 01/04/2019.

To OP, have you called AA to have your information confirmed and re-entered by a CSA? I went through a period a year or so after I got married (2000) where I got the SSSS code every time I flew even though everything had technically been changed, A wonderful USAirways agent spent time to dig down and found one record that still showed my maiden name.that seemed to be triggering the flag. No idea if this is the cause of your issue but a lot of updates have been happening. Perhaps a hard refresh of your account could help?
I called and they said nothing to change everything is fine and there is no history of a recent change.

Also, they tell me it is purely coincidental but I was randomly selected on EACH segment for SSSS and also randomly selected by customs each direction for full bag search...what is going on? Customs/immigration asked if I booked a one way or different airlines (didn’t) and said the SSSS and them are totally different and it’s just a coincidence.

My AA address is a PO mailing address, but that hasn’t changed recently so doubt it is that. When I check in sometimes the passport expiration date is wrong and it says resident state is something different but doubt it is that. Maybe it is simply that I can’t check in which throws a flag - customs screen said not checked in or no checked bag. Ugh.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by 5.9LITRE

Thanks, I’ll try calling them. But maybe that’s a secondary issue - there def seems to be an issue where AA is modifying my traveler info after first flight segment like adding duplicate middle name and things and my hypothesis is bc of a passport scan (same with the space) otherwise it sometimes lets me check in just fine. My passport/TSA don’t have the space digitally just on the printed passport. Weird.
In the passport’s machine readable zone is there a > type character between the Mc and the rest of the name? That’s been a source of this kind of issue before.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder

In the passport’s machine readable zone is there a > type character between the Mc and the rest of the name? That’s been a source of this kind of issue before.
yes it is P<USAMC<LAST<<FIRST<MIDDLE<<<<<<

both passports are like this and my old expired passport (no issues) also was like this. Just started having this issue recently.

should I update my AA profile and tickets to have a space? would probably work for intl but maybe not domestic flights since license, tsa, known traveler don’t have a space? I have tons of visas and an intl work permit so not sure if I can even fix this or just make it worse
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is much easier (and less costly) to update your AA profile than to reissue a US passport.

Even if AA requires documentary proof for a name change (which is unlikely), you can provide that with a copy of the data page of your passport showing the space.

Start with a phone call.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Often1
It is much easier (and less costly) to update your AA profile than to reissue a US passport.

Even if AA requires documentary proof for a name change (which is unlikely), you can provide that with a copy of the data page of your passport showing the space.

Start with a phone call.
And perhaps to be followed by a fax or an email to AA with supporting documents for AA to add a space.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I have a last name that has a space and I eliminated the space and merged the name together on all official documents - passports, DL, SSA, banking, IRS, Airlines, etc., a few years back and eliminated these issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.