Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club plan for DTW: what happened?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.

If my memory serves correct, AA announced several years ago that there would be an Admiral's club at DTW. What ever happened to that plan?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:50 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by transportbiz
If my memory serves correct, AA announced several years ago that there would be an Admiral's club at DTW. What ever happened to that plan?
I can't recall LAA over the past 12 years announcing such, albeit maybe my memory is failing. Possibly was this something pre 2003 when the financial bottom fell out for AA and causing a near bankruptcy filing, averted only after employees gave up over a $1 billion in annual wages.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:58 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
DTW (I’m here now) and MSP are tops on my wish list! AA and all non-DL are stuck with such a lame terminal in DTW.
brc757rr likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
AA and all non-DL are stuck with such a lame terminal in DTW.
The North Terminal is a royal palace compared to the Smith and Davey terminals that it replaced. I miss the rats at baggage claim.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
AA and all non-DL are stuck with such a lame terminal in DTW.
Perhaps I was in a different AA terminal at DTW last August? I thought it looked very new and modern. There seemed to be ample concessions once I was airside. Certainly much different from the DTW I remember from when I used to fly NW in the 90s and early 2000s.

For a non-hub airport, with only flights to hubs, and without any BA flights, I'm not sure how a club makes any sense. Are there other oneworld airlines at DTW that I'm forgetting?
I sometimes question why there's a club here at AUS, but then I flew BA from here....
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
DTW (I’m here now) and MSP are tops on my wish list! AA and all non-DL are stuck with such a lame terminal in DTW.
UA flyers can use the LH club at DTW North.

IIRC, the AA DTW club in the Smith Terminal (oldest of the old, replaced by North for carriers but not airport admin) was a quick cut after 9/11.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aztimm
Are there other oneworld airlines at DTW that I'm forgetting?
RJ, seasonally. Probably not a big factor in building an Admirals Club though.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by aztimm
Perhaps I was in a different AA terminal at DTW last August? I thought it looked very new and modern. There seemed to be ample concessions once I was airside. Certainly much different from the DTW I remember from when I used to fly NW in the 90s and early 2000s.

For a non-hub airport, with only flights to hubs, and without any BA flights, I'm not sure how a club makes any sense. Are there other oneworld airlines at DTW that I'm forgetting?
I sometimes question why there's a club here at AUS, but then I flew BA from here....
RJ flies DTW-AMM.

but yes, I dont see why they would rush to build one there. DTW isnt a major connecting point.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
RJ flies DTW-AMM.

but yes, I dont see why they would rush to build one there. DTW isnt a major connecting point.
Unless you are connecting from another airline like southwest, jetblue, or spirit, and international all that comes in there is Jazz, LH, RJ, and Wow, Not exactly an obvious connection, given the only places AA goes is to a hub. They do go to lots of hubs, but it is still fundamentally operating like an outstation.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Same could be said for MCO/IAH/DEN/SNA etc.....doesn’t need to be a connection city to qualify for an AC.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Honors Gold, National Executive Elite
Years ago on US was part of *A you could access the LH lounge with *G status (or flying in F)

It is now open to PP during some hours
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
I'm not quite sure about "lame," but as often as I'm at those two airports I would love to see clubs there.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
I'm not quite sure about "lame," but as often as I'm at those two airports I would love to see clubs there.
Give me Vegas. Has to be the highest volume airport without an AC.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I agree with regards to MSP - it is hellish when AA has four flights all leaving near the same time at the end of the E concourse. A Club that can be exited right at boarding there would be much appreciated.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:45 pm

Same could be said for MCO/IAH/DEN/SNA etc.....doesn’t need to be a connection city to qualify for an AC.
But those cities have more than 5 gates, with really 3 getting 90% of the flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.