Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admiral's Club plan for DTW: what happened?

Admiral's Club plan for DTW: what happened?

Reply

Old Jan 15, 19, 11:46 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Posts: 2,596
Admiral's Club plan for DTW: what happened?

If my memory serves correct, AA announced several years ago that there would be an Admiral's club at DTW. What ever happened to that plan?
transportbiz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 19, 11:50 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,155
Originally Posted by transportbiz View Post
If my memory serves correct, AA announced several years ago that there would be an Admiral's club at DTW. What ever happened to that plan?
I can't recall LAA over the past 12 years announcing such, albeit maybe my memory is failing. Possibly was this something pre 2003 when the financial bottom fell out for AA and causing a near bankruptcy filing, averted only after employees gave up over a $1 billion in annual wages.
newyorkgeorge is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 19, 11:58 am
  #3  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Posts: 5,967
DTW (Iím here now) and MSP are tops on my wish list! AA and all non-DL are stuck with such a lame terminal in DTW.
brc757rr likes this.
AANYC1981 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 19, 12:29 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Programs: WN F9 UA AA IHG HH MR
Posts: 1,883
Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
AA and all non-DL are stuck with such a lame terminal in DTW.
The North Terminal is a royal palace compared to the Smith and Davey terminals that it replaced. I miss the rats at baggage claim.
enviroian and phlwookie like this.
Tanic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 19, 1:10 pm
  #5  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: AUS / GRK
Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Posts: 10,905
Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
AA and all non-DL are stuck with such a lame terminal in DTW.
Perhaps I was in a different AA terminal at DTW last August? I thought it looked very new and modern. There seemed to be ample concessions once I was airside. Certainly much different from the DTW I remember from when I used to fly NW in the 90s and early 2000s.

For a non-hub airport, with only flights to hubs, and without any BA flights, I'm not sure how a club makes any sense. Are there other oneworld airlines at DTW that I'm forgetting?
I sometimes question why there's a club here at AUS, but then I flew BA from here....
aztimm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 19, 1:14 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Posts: 28,174
Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
DTW (Iím here now) and MSP are tops on my wish list! AA and all non-DL are stuck with such a lame terminal in DTW.
UA flyers can use the LH club at DTW North.

IIRC, the AA DTW club in the Smith Terminal (oldest of the old, replaced by North for carriers but not airport admin) was a quick cut after 9/11.
3Cforme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 19, 1:18 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: DTW
Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 248
Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
Are there other oneworld airlines at DTW that I'm forgetting?
RJ, seasonally. Probably not a big factor in building an Admirals Club though.
aacar is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 19, 1:18 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU + KSFO
Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Posts: 4,874
Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
Perhaps I was in a different AA terminal at DTW last August? I thought it looked very new and modern. There seemed to be ample concessions once I was airside. Certainly much different from the DTW I remember from when I used to fly NW in the 90s and early 2000s.

For a non-hub airport, with only flights to hubs, and without any BA flights, I'm not sure how a club makes any sense. Are there other oneworld airlines at DTW that I'm forgetting?
I sometimes question why there's a club here at AUS, but then I flew BA from here....
RJ flies DTW-AMM.

but yes, I dont see why they would rush to build one there. DTW isnt a major connecting point.
Antarius is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 19, 1:56 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 143
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
RJ flies DTW-AMM.

but yes, I dont see why they would rush to build one there. DTW isnt a major connecting point.
Unless you are connecting from another airline like southwest, jetblue, or spirit, and international all that comes in there is Jazz, LH, RJ, and Wow, Not exactly an obvious connection, given the only places AA goes is to a hub. They do go to lots of hubs, but it is still fundamentally operating like an outstation.
autdi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 19, 2:32 pm
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Posts: 5,967
Same could be said for MCO/IAH/DEN/SNA etc.....doesnít need to be a connection city to qualify for an AC.
AANYC1981 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 19, 2:36 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Honors Gold, National Executive Elite
Posts: 404
Years ago on US was part of *A you could access the LH lounge with *G status (or flying in F)

It is now open to PP during some hours
travellerK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 19, 2:41 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: ORD, sadly...
Programs: AA Exec Plat
Posts: 117
Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
DTW (Iím here now) and MSP are tops on my wish list! AA and all non-DL are stuck with such a lame terminal in DTW.
I'm not quite sure about "lame," but as often as I'm at those two airports I would love to see clubs there.
AANYC1981 likes this.
GrumpyYoungMan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 19, 3:01 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,155
Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan View Post
I'm not quite sure about "lame," but as often as I'm at those two airports I would love to see clubs there.
Give me Vegas. Has to be the highest volume airport without an AC.
MSP_Monopoly and DenverBrian like this.
newyorkgeorge is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 19, 3:16 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Stilllwater OK
Programs: AAdvantage Plat Pro, World of Hyatt Globalist, Marriot "member"
Posts: 848
Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
DTW (Iím here now) and MSP are tops on my wish list! AA and all non-DL are stuck with such a lame terminal in DTW.
I agree with regards to MSP - it is hellish when AA has four flights all leaving near the same time at the end of the E concourse. A Club that can be exited right at boarding there would be much appreciated.
MarkOK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 19, 4:45 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 143
Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
Same could be said for MCO/IAH/DEN/SNA etc.....doesnít need to be a connection city to qualify for an AC.
But those cities have more than 5 gates, with really 3 getting 90% of the flights.
autdi is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread