Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Economy Fares Skyrocket?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Premium Economy Fares Skyrocket?

I'd been looking at some premium economy fares from Chicago to Europe for next fall. On Saturday fares were around 1,200 - 1,500, now they are about 2,200 - 2,500. Why the big increase?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
just wait , you have plenty of time, I have been checking fares to BOM, they went from around $3000, (J) to over $6000 this morning across all OW partners
Seems like sales have gone, probably will see better fares later this week
but your not traveling until next fall, just wait and keep track, I have seen fares as cheap as $400 and up
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
I'd been looking at some premium economy fares from Chicago to Europe for next fall. On Saturday fares were around 1,200 - 1,500, now they are about 2,200 - 2,500. Why the big increase?
Like @fotographer says, keep checking, or even better, set up google flights price tracking, and you'll get notified when the there is a price change in either direction and you'll also get a history of the pricing (from when you set up the tracking).
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
What dates, to what destination in Europe?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most are in the $1300 - $1400 range (LHR,CDG,MAD,FCO,VCE). Some of them require Mon-Thu departures (if you are looking to depart Fri-Sun, you will pay more). The only one I see for close to $2400 is DUB. BCN and ATH are in the $1700 - $1800 range. If you use Google Flights in map view, you can look at multiple airports at once and compare fares.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 14, 2019 at 11:03 am
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Originally Posted by LBJ
Most are in the $1300 - $1400 range (LHR,CDG,MAD,FCO,VCE). Some of them require Mon-Thu departures (if you are looking to depart Fri-Sun, you will pay more). The only one I see for close to $2400 is DUB. BCN and ATH are in the $1700 - $1800 range. If you use Google Flights in map view, you can look at multiple airports at once and compare fares.
I was looking at MUC. I do have the google alerts - that's how I actually saw they had jumped!
I tried to upload a screenshot (went from 1,188 to 2,210), but that doesn't seem to work. We can put men on the moon but we can't make it easy to drag and drop an image.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
I was looking at MUC. I do have the google alerts - that's how I actually saw they had jumped!
I tried to upload a screenshot (went from 1,188 to 2,210), but that doesn't seem to work. We can put men on the moon but we can't make it easy to drag and drop an image.
Octoberfest?
fotographer likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was assuming you were looking at the non-stop routes out of ORD. Also assumed that "Europe" meant more than just one city. PE fares available to MUC from $1538 out of MKE and SBN in early October, and $1181 in late October. Can play hidden city games on return to MKE.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
What gives with the PE pricing AA? Just checked SFO-LAX-HKG RT and asking price is 2K. But LAX-HKG RT is just 1K. Really... But for same flight in MC, it's $620-ish vs. $550-ish respectively. RIGHT!!!
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
What gives with the PE pricing AA? Just checked SFO-LAX-HKG RT and asking price is 2K. But LAX-HKG RT is just 1K. Really... But for same flight in MC, it's $620-ish vs. $550-ish respectively. RIGHT!!!
Those SFO-LAX legs connecting to a PE flight are still being priced as full-fare Y
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by potus18
Those SFO-LAX legs connecting to a PE flight are still being priced as full-fare Y
same thing happened to me on a LAX-HKG-LAX-SAN routing booked in PE. The LAX-SAN leg booked into full Y, so that added $200+ to the fare vs LAX-HKG-LAX route. Normally that would have given me 1.5 EQM on the 500 min miles (big whoop) but as of this year, Y only gets a 1X multiplier.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:18 pm

Programs: CK or bust
AA must have just realized that the recent profit reports went public. Said RM, "quick, let's raise PE fares and that will really pad our bottom line."

Disclaimer: Not based on actual facts and absolutely misconstrued.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
At times PE pricing seems excessively high but I've noticed that I can often buy AA PE flights on ba.com much cheaper.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
I think this is more of an AA IT problem than an rip-off pricing problem. AA.com seems to have great difficulty seeing and pricing PE fares and Google flights doesn't seem to do any better.

But ba.com and Expedia seem to be able to sort through to the correct fares. Just yesterday MFR-LHR return on aa.com was pricing at $2300 on aa.com, but at $1500 on Expedia. Two weeks ago my corporate TA (both by phone with AA and using their web tools) could only get $2300 on MFR-LHR, while I booked it myself for $1450 (same flights, same dates).

Regularly I see aa.com list no fare at all for PE on the non-stop from PHX-LHR or LAX-LHR, yet Expedia offers a very reasonable P fare just fine.

And now that PE awards are available I see that aa.com is willing to offer me Anytime awards in PE flights where it won't even offer me a $ fare.

It is such a mess that I do not believe this can be deliberate – I think the connection between inventory, fares and IT is just broken.
Blueboys999 and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
I tend to agree that PE pricing does seem quite high. I often see bloggers claim that PE is often "only a couple hundred dollars" more than standard economy. However, I'm rarely seeing that to be the case these days.

Here is a simple example for DFW to FCO (Rome) for Sept 19th to Sept 26th:

Note that the premium for paid business over PE is just ~28% ($838) vs. the premium for going from standard economy to PE is ~91% ($1390). Yikes!

I've checked this across shoulder seasons, etc. It appears AA is only selling W fares (instead of P) and yet the seat map is wide open (yea, I know, I know, spare me the "Seat maps aren't..." song and dance)

I was kind of excited about PE. It's actually a great product for my wife and I. We really aren't as obsessed with J as many FTer's are and this seemed like a nice compromise, but the pricing just strikes me as way, way out of whack...

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.