Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Advice: Change in miles needed for reservation on hold

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:21 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Repricing / pricing change for held award ticket

I had an award ticket held in F for AAA-BBB-CCC-DDD (searched AAA-DDD, but it forced 9 hours in hub BBB and also a layover in hub CCC). Pricing showed as 25k miles + $11.20 for a Business/First MilesAAver award. My email confirmation showed the same.

I went to buy the ticket tonight (logged into my account, selected "all trips") and picked the held reservation. It showed 50k miles + $11.20. I logged out and in a few times, but every time, it showed the higher mileage cost. Just before calling, I figured "let me try to pay for it and see what it does." On the payment page, the price reverted to the 25k + $11.20. The confirmation page now shows 50k + $11.20. Waiting for the email and I'll call tomorrow if it shows 50k.

Anyone ever seen anything like this before?

[Update: Got the ticketed email and in my account they deducted 25k. Not sure where all the 50k came from]

Email from AA showing it was held

Upon pulling the itinerary up in my reservations

On the payment page

Last edited by IAHtraveler; Jan 13, 2019 at 8:40 pm Reason: Provide update after ticketing
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT, United Silver
That happens to me when I have layovers over 4 hours but the system will charge me the right mileage when i go to pay.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:36 am

I've had this experience when putting award tickets on hold with itineraries that have 4+ hour layovers (as Daniel Solis pointed out). I was too chicken to go ahead to the payment page. When I tried booking the same award from scratch, it would show the lower award redemption (i.e. not treat it as two separate flights), so I would just purchase it directly from there and cancel out the hold. It's good to know that you can go ahead and pay for the held ticket and the mileage will revert to what was originally booked/held.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond

Earlier today on aa.com I saw and held an itinerary (2 people going SJC-RNO-DFW on the same day, first leg on AK and 2nd on AA) for 12.5k mile per person. I got a email that confirmed this total cost of 25k miles + 11.50 in fees and said i had 2 days to book.

However when i went back into the Record locator it now says it cost 50k miles and $22 for the same flight for 2 people. What gives?

Besides calling AA (i'm at work now) and talking to someone is there another way to fix this? I tried replicating the record and i could not find it.

__
let me add that as i look at the new locator, it says one leg is outbound, one is return. why would the system do that automatically and different from what it sent as a conf. email?
Old May 29, 2019, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by dc9703
Earlier today on aa.com I saw and held an itinerary (2 people going SJC-RNO-DFW on the same day, first leg on AK and 2nd on AA) for 12.5k mile per person. I got a email that confirmed this total cost of 25k miles + 11.50 in fees and said i had 2 days to book.

However when i went back into the Record locator it now says it cost 50k miles and $22 for the same flight for 2 people. What gives?

Besides calling AA (i'm at work now) and talking to someone is there another way to fix this? I tried replicating the record and i could not find it.

__
let me add that as i look at the new locator, it says one leg is outbound, one is return. why would the system do that automatically and different from what it sent as a conf. email?
How many hours do you have in RNO between flights?
Old May 29, 2019, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I think it is a trivial glitch, if you try to proceed with the purchase it should show the correct amount of miles (try it), it has happened to me before.
JJeffrey likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Yep, IT error/glitch when you pull up a held award reservation at aa.com, sometimes the wrong/higher miles are shown for whatever the reason. Nothing to worry about, as mentioned above if you click through to purchase it will revert to the correct pricing.
Old May 29, 2019, 1:18 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

If it's anything like mine did in January (and has done at least 2x since), it's a glitch and should price out properly. Have a look at the thread I started in January and the screenshots and let me know if you're seeing the same thing. Mine ended up deducting the proper miles from my account, even though it didn't seem like it was going to.
Old May 29, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Thanks. Just got home and will try it later. It fits the bill as my stay in Reno was 6 hours.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:46 pm

I had a single leg flight held for 20k miles. When I went back to book, it was 30k. Is it common for AA to change the miles needed for a reward? I'm more than a little annoyed. The purchase price hasn't changed.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:32 pm

Has happened to me before. I just have called AA and old them I had email confirmation of the lower price. They actually were able to see the lower mileage price and were able to ticket me over the phone- of course waiving the ticketing fee,
DebBrown likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.