Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Question two, RE: policing overhead bin storage.

Question two, RE: policing overhead bin storage.

Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I agree with IADCAFlyer.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Resolution to the bag bin issue is to allow checked bags for free and to charge for overhead space. AA is all about charging for convenience ("Preferred" seating, early boarding, etc.). So, charge for the convenience of using the overheads. There is a plethora of baggage hold space. Make that free.

You get one personal item free - laptop bag, purse, backpack. All roll-aboards and suitcases are a paid convenience. AA elite status members, MCE, and first class excluded - of course.
Not to mention AA (or any airline) could probably shave nearly 10 minutes off boarding time.
SPN Lifer and wreednelson like this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Like the announcement says, Overhead bins are shared space.

The most compelling argument that this would not be the rational choice is simply that no airline does it. Anywhere.

If this idea had any merit at all, somewhere, some airline would be giving it a try.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by nittfan
Mountain Trader, yes, I was thinking of a famous song ......"you may call me a dreamer, but I'm not the only one".

IADCAflyer, I agree with the first part of your post. Go back to the "old days" of free checked bags, but add a convenience fee for those, like myself, who prefer to know where their luggage is at all times. I would just hope that AA would make this affordable, say $20. I would gladly pay $20 to make sure my bag is on board with me, and that I don't need to stress out about the issue
during boarding.

catcher1 - why the adamant "NO"!
I never (OK, almost never) check my luggage, so I would be disappointed in an additional charge for carry-on bags.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: A few here and there
New bins

so I just flew the new oasis 737 last night and while the hard product is grabage the updated bins that can take roller bags on their side is a great solution. Each bin can now take 5-6 bags rather than 3-4. Closing them is a pain when full but solves the carry on issue.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Resolution to the bag bin issue is to allow checked bags for free and to charge for overhead space. AA is all about charging for convenience ("Preferred" seating, early boarding, etc.). So, charge for the convenience of using the overheads. There is a plethora of baggage hold space. Make that free.

You get one personal item free - laptop bag, purse, backpack. All roll-aboards and suitcases are a paid convenience. AA elite status members, MCE, and first class excluded - of course.
This is exactly correct. People are willing to pay more for space and convenience, as we see with seat reservation charges at many airlines.

When the airlines started doing the checked-bag-fee thingy (but carry-ons were free), I remember thinking, "This is exactly backwards."
SPN Lifer, muji and Disneymkvii like this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
overhead bin space is shared space, it's not allocated to a specific seat or even a specific row. There isn't enough space in bins to allocate space per seat (or at least, not enough space that would fit normal rollaboard and carry-on bags in use). The first-come-first-served system works great (for those who board before Group 7).
----
So you're okay with the guy who is sitting in row 33 to plant his/her bag in any overhead bin at a row in the front of the cabin (or even in the F-class) and just walking away? This way, the people who are actually sitting in F-class or the first few rows of coach can just bypass their row when their overhead bin is full to look for an available bin much further back......because they really want to reverse their way upstream during or after all others are boarding/boarded and leave their bag entirely where they cannot see it so that they can get to their assigned seat all the way up front. Yes, of course that's the best way to do this. (eye roll x 1000).
asimegusta likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Drunkmuppet
so I just flew the new oasis 737 last night and while the hard product is grabage the updated bins that can take roller bags on their side is a great solution. Each bin can now take 5-6 bags rather than 3-4. Closing them is a pain when full but solves the carry on issue.
Those are the Boeing Space Bins.

https://www.boeing.com/commercial/737max/space-bins/
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Catbert10
I've been a frequent business traveler since the early 90s. I don't recall there being issues with overhead space until airlines starting charging for checked bags. I realize correlation doesn't equal causation, but...

I agree with IADCAFlyer. Incent people to check bags rather than incent them to carry them on. That will solve the problem.
I'm pretty sure it's a direct line between checked bag fees and increased carryons. At least, I recall hearing from airline execs somewhere that there is a direct correlation between checked bag fee introduction (and raised prices) and folks carrying on.

In this article, a FA does mention it: https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...bin/514483002/

"It happens every day," says Joshua Zweighaft, a flight attendant for an airline based in New York. "Since we started charging for checked luggage with our lowest fares, people have been carrying on as much as possible. Combined with people putting jackets and small items in the overhead bins, we run out of space on full flights regularly."
The answer, if the airlines think it is a problem (which I don't believe they do), is to stop charging for checked bags, and (if applicable) lower lost/delayed/damaged bag rates.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
So here would be my solution:

First checked bag - free
Second checked bag - $25.00
Personal item that fits underseat or overhead - free. A personal item is a purse, laptop bag, tote bag, or small back pack.
Overhead bag - $20.00. An overhead bag is any bag taken on board flight that is not defined as a personal item.

Payment for overhead should be done at check in which will then allow the computer system to print a boarding pass showing - OVERHEAD OK.

Overhead space gratis for all AA elites, 1W elites, and AA affinity credit card holders.
ESPECIALROB, muji and Disneymkvii like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: AA LT-PLAT 6MIL

A lot of problems would be solved if the airlines stopped charging for checked bags. Many people would check if they didn't have to pay and that would be less bags in the security lines, less bags in the OH bins and less bags in the boarding process. I'm not sure I agree with adding fees for carryon bags as I see this as a new issue slowing down the boarding process.
muji likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: Delta
Don't you love when you board first, and then someone comes on later and moves your bag. Or slams something on top of it. Once in FC, I was bringing home a print from overseas, and there was oodles of overhead, but the asshat coming on 10 minutes after me HAD to put his laptop bag directly over his head. The flight was 13+ hours, he needed the exercise, and he decided an argument was more in line than dealing with your fellow passengers. A FA intervened explaining how she could get his bag if needed it a while 4-5 feet away.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
So here would be my solution:

First checked bag - free
Second checked bag - $25.00
Personal item that fits underseat or overhead - free. A personal item is a purse, laptop bag, tote bag, or small back pack.
Overhead bag - $20.00. An overhead bag is any bag taken on board flight that is not defined as a personal item.

Payment for overhead should be done at check in which will then allow the computer system to print a boarding pass showing - OVERHEAD OK.

Overhead space gratis for all AA elites, 1W elites, and AA affinity credit card holders.
They're not going to give up the revenue for 1st checked bag fees. AA was the first U.S. legacy carrier to implement it. People have tolerated it for a decade.

It was May 2008 when American Airlines announced it would begin charging a fee for all checked-bags, the first major U.S. carrier to do so. Smaller, discount carriers such as Allegiant and Spirit had been charging bag fees since 2007 or earlier, but this was a huge step for a legacy carrier.

https://www.farecompare.com/travel-a...-bags-history/

Checked bags do have a cost - there's handling, and there's fuel burned to carry the weight. Don't assume that people will forego their 20-pound carry-ons and check 20# bags. It will be 'If I have to check a bag I don't need to worry about how much I take.' There's also cost when bags are mishandled, a problem passengers rarely have with their carry-ons.

Now, they might start charging for carry-ons, too.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
No free bags would make a return about the same time as free meals in coach (other than the JFK/LAX/SFO transcons). I do think that the legacies will begin to charge for carry ons but making it more expensive to carry on than to check. This is coming, it's just a matter of one having the gall to do it, consumers and government officials complain, the dust settles then all the other legacy carriers-for the exception of WN.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by nittfan
Yes, you are probably all correct - as I mentioned, it would just give the flight attendant's more to monitor.

BearX220, you are correct too - maybe "sell" your unused bag spot, as trooper kidded! I have never understood how people board without at least a small bag, and I have rarely seen this. If they are checking all their baggage, they are taking a big chance, IMO. I have had handles torn off, wheels broken, big grease stains on bags, and delayed baggage. In addition, where are these (baggage-free) people keeping their medications, laptop, or other expensive or important possessions? Are these people just flying to a one day meeting? I don't get it ......!?
I sometimes travel with nothing more than a tablet in my hand, phone in one pocket, NC earbuds in another and wallet in another. I frequently travel between two homes, both equipped with clothing, meds, and anything else I might need even for extended stays. I've also flown to many one-day meetings or doctor appointments the same way. Most of my trips, even vacations, don't require "medications, laptops, or other expensive and important possessions." On longer trips I might have a briefcase or carry-on or I may even check a bag which still leaves me bagless in the cabin. Now you get it. Happy to help!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.