Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Question one of two (inherit their spouse's elite status)

Old Jan 13, 19, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

My first question is does anyone know if a widow can inherit their spouse's elite status on AA? AA was very gracious in transferring my late husband's miles to my account, however, I never asked about any possibility of inheritance of elite status. I plan on calling them, but I was wondering if anyone has any prior knowledge of my question?

The main reason I am interested in the above question is due to overhead bin space. I would like to be able to board before half the plane boards. TY.
Old Jan 13, 19, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Sorry for your loss. You could board in the first half by simply getting an AA credit card or purchasing the right to do so at the kiosk upon check in. I don't believe status can be transferred.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 13, 19, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by nittfan View Post
My first question is does anyone know if a widow can inherit their spouse's elite status on AA? AA was very gracious in transferring my late husband's miles to my account, however, I never asked about any possibility of inheritance of elite status. I plan on calling them, but I was wondering if anyone has any prior knowledge of my question?

The main reason I am interested in the above question is due to overhead bin space. I would like to be able to board before half the plane boards. TY.
My condolences on your loss.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'd be surprised if AA granted a surviving spouse elite status based on the deceased's status. Of course, there's no harm in asking.

​​​​​​​You can get Group 5 (out of 9) boarding if you obtain a qualifying Citi or Barclays AA credit card. And if you redeem your miles for Business or First Class, you would enjoy an even higher boarding preference.
Old Jan 13, 19, 1:40 pm

My first question is does anyone know if a widow can inherit their spouse's elite status on AA?
No. Status can not be inherited. Like others mentioned, could get a CC that would at least let you board with group 5.
Old Jan 13, 19, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is highly unlikely that AA will grant status, but you never know. This is something to submit in writing (webform) as front line agents do not make these decisions.

For what it is worth, many others who have barely missed requalification have reported that AA will not grant them an exception.
Old Jan 13, 19, 5:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
It is highly unlikely that AA will grant status, but you never know. This is something to submit in writing (webform) as front line agents do not make these decisions.

For what it is worth, many others who have barely missed requalification have reported that AA will not grant them an exception.
I’m sorry for your loss.

No, one can not inherit a spouse’s status.

However, as you experienced, one can inherit a spouse’s miles. See AA miles: Can inherit / transfer due to death or divorce? (master thd).

I agree the right credit card can help. It would give you free domestic bag allowance, earlier boarding, etc. if you lose your Gold status.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 13, 19 at 5:40 pm
Old Jan 13, 19, 5:38 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier Elite
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
My condolences on your loss.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'd be surprised if AA granted a surviving spouse elite status based on the deceased's status. Of course, there's no harm in asking.

You can get Group 5 (out of 9) boarding if you obtain a qualifying Citi or Barclays AA credit card. And if you redeem your miles for Business or First Class, you would enjoy an even higher boarding preference.
The OP is AA gold and already boards with group 4.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 13, 19, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA Exp (2020 is first and last year). Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
And even if so, it would only last for a year.

But letting you have access to the miles is providing something you might well have been able to have access to anyway. Status for a pax who didn't earn it is different.
Old Jan 13, 19, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by donotblink View Post
The OP is AA gold and already boards with group 4.

If that's true, then what do you make of this sentence contained in Post #1 :

"I would like to be able to board before half the plane boards."

Are there that many AA flights were elites take up half of the Economy Class seats?
Old Jan 13, 19, 10:16 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier Elite

If that's true, then what do you make of this sentence contained in Post #1 :

"I would like to be able to board before half the plane boards."

Are there that many AA flights were elites take up half of the Economy Class seats?
If you look at the OP's post, next to their username, they list their programs and list AA Gold in that area.
Old Jan 14, 19, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
From DFW on a Monday, yes. Back to DFW on a Thursday afternoon, double yes.

Flew EWR-DFW last Thursday - there were 68 people on the upgrade list.
Old Jan 14, 19, 10:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by reeg2 View Post
From DFW on a Monday, yes. Back to DFW on a Thursday afternoon, double yes.

Flew EWR-DFW last Thursday - there were 68 people on the upgrade list.
Today, DFW-ORD on the “consultant special”, 78 on the upgrade list.
Old Jan 14, 19, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by donotblink View Post
If you look at the OP's post, next to their username, they list their programs and list AA Gold in that area.
I access FT primarily via the mobile site, so I cannot see a user's programs.

And sometimes, a FTer's program status changes, but the FTer does not update his/her profile.

In any event, I would think that on most AA flights, an AAdvantage Gold member would board before a majority of Coach passengers.

Last edited by guv1976; Jan 14, 19 at 10:24 am
Old Jan 14, 19, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

guv1976; you are correct. I have not updated my AA status. My Gold status was thru my husband's account. He passed away in July. I have no status. I should (& will) update my status. When I began the occasional post/question here, I listed my husband's status.

JDiver;
thank you for your response. I have always appreciated your calm and measured responses on this forum. I remember reading about your own personal struggles (with your wife's illness). I can truly identify with you, and your commitment to travel when able, as my husband suffered from ALS and recently passed away. We did all of our AAdvantageeshopping & promotions thru his AA account, and he was able to achieve AA lifetime Gold status. Since I am merely a leisure time flyer, the only perk of gold status that I truly miss is the ability to board with the first 50% of passengers, rather than in group 6 which recently happened to me.

guv1976; sorry - yes, I have not updated my "status" which is, since my husband's passing, nothing. I have had about 100 things to deal with since his passing; updating our (& now my alone status on this website has slipped my mind). I will try to do that now, if I am allowed to do so. On a recent flight from BGI-CLT I was in group 6. Almost the last to board, hence my comment about 1/2 the plane already having been boarded, and, in this particular case, more than 1/2 for sure! My stress level when returning from a trip is less than upon departure. Maybe I am kidding myself, but I assume that if they allow my bag aboard, the FA's will find space for it somewhere. Still, this is one of the worst aspects of the whole flight experience to me.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 15, 19, 1:13 am

guv1976; you are correct. I have not updated my AA status. My Gold status was thru my husband's account. He passed away in July. I have no status. I should (& will) update my status. When I began the occasional post/question here, I listed my husband's status.

JDiver; thank you for your response. I have always appreciated your calm and measured responses on this forum. I remember reading about your own personal struggles (with your wife's illness). I can truly identify with you, and your commitment to travel when able, as my husband suffered from ALS and recently passed away. We did all of our AAdvantageeshopping & promotions thru his AA account, and he was able to achieve AA lifetime Gold status. Since I am merely a leisure time flyer, the only perk of gold status that I truly miss is the ability to board with the first 50% of passengers, rather than in group 6 which recently happened to me.

guv1976; sorry - yes, I have not updated my "status" which is, since my husband's passing, nothing. I have had about 100 things to deal with since his passing; updating our (& now my alone status on this website has slipped my mind). I will try to do that now, if I am allowed to do so. On a recent flight from BGI-CLT I was in group 6. Almost the last to board, hence my comment about 1/2 the plane already having been boarded, and, in this particular case, more than 1/2 for sure! My stress level when returning from a trip is less than upon departure. Maybe I am kidding myself, but I assume that if they allow my bag aboard, the FA's will find space for it somewhere. Still, this is one of the worst aspects of the whole flight experience to me.
I'm sorry for your loss. Your husband appears to have obtained Lifetime Gold status through the Million Miler program. Did you fly a lot with him? Do you know your own Million Miler balance? If it's close to a million miles, you will automatically get gold status when you cross the threshold.

Last edited by donotblink; Jan 15, 19 at 1:14 am Reason: fixed punctuation

Search this Thread
Search Engine: