Wiki Posts
Search

No Welcome Spiel by FA on Arrival

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
No Welcome Spiel by FA on Arrival

I was on a PSA flight today with a flight attendant who seemed to be pretty new. She spent most of the flight chatting with two deadheading FAs seated at the front of the plane, and much of the conversation seemed to be about how to do the job properly.

The subject of this post, though, is her failure to give the “Welcome to XXX, please stay seated, etc.” spiel after we touched down.

Now, I’m not offended that she was not the first to welcome us to our destination. But I am
curious as to whether her not giving that speech runs afoul of any regulations, and/or whether mentioning it to AA has any merit (such as need for retraining).

FWIW, she also either forgot to turn off the master “all reading lights on” switch during/after boarding or didn’t know how. The deadheading FAs brought it to her attention. She was pleasant, but she just didn’t seem to have her act together (and seemed to spend too much time/attention on socializing).

Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
The multi million dollar question is did she make the credit card pitch?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
I had a set of FA's on a recent American Eagle flight completely omit the safety speech, and I thought that was pretty bad, but if I didn't get to look at my watch as they tell me what the local time is and snicker when they get it wrong by at least 3 minutes, I don't know what I'd do with my life.
Icydubloon and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink
I've flown less than usual this year, but I honestly don't recall hearing the credit card pitch. But it's possible I just tune it out.

I probably wouldn't notice if the welcome speech were skipped, since I know where I'm going and I know not to stand up early. I pretty much stopped paying attention when they stopped giving connecting gate info.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa
I was on a PSA flight today with a flight attendant who seemed to be pretty new. She spent most of the flight chatting with two deadheading FAs seated at the front of the plane, and much of the conversation seemed to be about how to do the job properly.

The subject of this post, though, is her failure to give the “Welcome to XXX, please stay seated, etc.” spiel after we touched down.

Now, I’m not offended that she was not the first to welcome us to our destination. But I am
curious as to whether her not giving that speech runs afoul of any regulations, and/or whether mentioning it to AA has any merit (such as need for retraining).

FWIW, she also either forgot to turn off the master “all reading lights on” switch during/after boarding or didn’t know how. The deadheading FAs brought it to her attention. She was pleasant, but she just didn’t seem to have her act together (and seemed to spend too much time/attention on socializing).

Were you looking for this and just missed it?
bse118, nancypants and writerguyfl like this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by donotblink
Or how much compensation are you seeking for this incredible lapse in service?
Uncle Nonny likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:24 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
AA has a credit card pitch..... who knew?
and can AA please change the safety video.. its getting on my nerves (seems so fake if you know what I mean)
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by mauve
I've flown less than usual this year, but I honestly don't recall hearing the credit card pitch. But it's possible I just tune it out.

I probably wouldn't notice if the welcome speech were skipped, since I know where I'm going and I know not to stand up early. I pretty much stopped paying attention when they stopped giving connecting gate info.

You'd notice it if you were watching IFE. You notice ALL the announcements when you're watching IFE.
thunderlounge likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by fotographer
AA has a credit card pitch..... who knew?
and can AA please change the safety video.. its getting on my nerves (seems so fake if you know what I mean)
I disagree. Seeing Tara give the safety speech is usually the highlight of any AA flight I take.
josmul123 and andersonCooper like this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:38 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
I flew LAX-DCA on Thursday (LAA A321) and the FAs made no announcements at all. No welcome aboard announcement, no announcement for when the seatbelts came on, no post-landing announcement welcoming us to DC, not even an announcement telling us to watch the safety video...they just played it.

LAA aircraft that have IFE and display VPAs usually still have some FA announcements sprinkled in.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by mauve

They had it on my short CLT-GSO hop last week. FA did however set the PA feature to broadcast the Good News only to the unwashed masses in Coach. Mighty kind of her.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: AA Platinum
I was the first to board a flight from ABQ to PHX yesterday. Caught both FAs sitting in first texting on their phones. No PDBs, etc., etc.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:02 am
Suspended

As far as I’m concerned they can cut out at least 95% of thier yapping. Less yapping = happier me.
donotblink, Uzzar, MarkOK and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
I disagree. Seeing Tara give the safety speech is usually the highlight of any AA flight I take.
The ones on BA (part of a series, now on part 2) are a lot more fun to watch, laughed the first time I saw it,
To me, it deems the passenger has been really dumb... but Uncle Nonny I am glad you enjoy it,
thunderlounge likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Tim_AZ
I was the first to board a flight from ABQ to PHX yesterday. Caught both FAs sitting in first texting on their phones. No PDBs, etc., etc.
Sadly it’s becoming a trend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.