Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Did AA Just Diss Me? (Offered Challenge to retain EXP)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Gold

Quick background: I've been EXP for about 15-20 years and have slightly under 4 million miles earned to date. Last summer, I ran into some health issues which stopped me from flying for the last half of 2018 and may prevent me from resuming the kind of flying I've experienced in the past. As we all know, I'm PLT for life (once you cross 1 million miles). I called the EXP desk to find out if there's anything that I can do to extend my EXP status beyond January of 2019. I only made about 75 segments and 60,000 miles and $10k spend in 2018.

So, AA offered me basically a mileage challenge for 2019. Fly X miles/money/segments and they'll give me EXP. It might be the meds I'm taking, but I really feel that AA just slapped me around. I'm trying not to sound privileged or bratty about this, but truthfully, how many EXP's are in my situation? Retirement (whether forced or not) and unable to reach EXP levels with a 3 million+ accrual. Would giving us lifetime EXP status really put AA in the poorhouse? Truth is, at this stage, none of us will fly very much, so it won't be a burden on resources. And, it might be nice for once to see an airline really thank a pax's loyalty for a lifetime of business.

Give me your thoughts. Am I being a spoiled child or do I make sense? Thanks.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The way AA sees it loyalty programs are made to motivate customers to return very frequently. There’s never been EXP Lifetime status and probably never will be. Loyalty programs are about profits today and tomorrow not profits yesterday,
ASMan, wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:05 pm

We all feel for you. But realistically they are doing the right thing. Airlines are one of the last industries where status actually means something. They can't just keep passing EXP status to lifetime members or else the product gets devalued.
ASMan likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Holy cow, this is the third thread so far in the past couple weeks related to the "I couldn't fly AA for half a year because _______" theme.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JeffCarlin
<snip>
Last summer, I ran into some health issues which stopped me from flying for the last half of 2018
<snip>
I'm trying not to sound privileged or bratty about this, but truthfully, how many EXP's are in my situation?
Retirement (whether forced or not) and unable to reach EXP levels with a 3 million+ accrual.
Would giving us lifetime EXP status really put AA in the poorhouse?
Truth is, at this stage, none of us will fly very much, so it won't be a burden on resources. And, it might be nice for once to see an airline really thank a pax's loyalty for a lifetime of business.

Give me your thoughts. Am I being a spoiled child or do I make sense?
Frequent flyer loyalty programs are about frequent flying. People have all sorts of reasons for not flying. The airlines ffp's have heard them all.

Another--->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...omer-life.html
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:17 pm

Quick background: I've been EXP for about 15-20 years and have slightly under 4 million miles earned to date. Last summer, I ran into some health issues which stopped me from flying for the last half of 2018 and may prevent me from resuming the kind of flying I've experienced in the past. As we all know, I'm PLT for life (once you cross 1 million miles). I called the EXP desk to find out if there's anything that I can do to extend my EXP status beyond January of 2019. I only made about 75 segments and 60,000 miles and $10k spend in 2018.

So, AA offered me basically a mileage challenge for 2019. Fly X miles/money/segments and they'll give me EXP. It might be the meds I'm taking, but I really feel that AA just slapped me around. I'm trying not to sound privileged or bratty about this, but truthfully, how many EXP's are in my situation? Retirement (whether forced or not) and unable to reach EXP levels with a 3 million+ accrual. Would giving us lifetime EXP status really put AA in the poorhouse? Truth is, at this stage, none of us will fly very much, so it won't be a burden on resources. And, it might be nice for once to see an airline really thank a pax's loyalty for a lifetime of business.

If I were you, I would be happy they even offered a challenge. So many have posted on this forum about AA telling them to go fly a kite after not requalifying for a legit reason. Those are the ones who got the diss. You were treated quite well, Sir!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
'm trying not to sound privileged or bratty about this, but truthfully, how many EXP's are in my situation?
Probably more and more of them every year given that a) AA has acquired a number of airlines by merger and b) the FFP has only been a thing for less than 40 years, and it takes a while to get to a million, two million, etc. miles, so sure, there are probably plenty of 60-70 year olds who used to hit EXP regularly and don't any more, and there will be more next year.

Out of curiosity, how many of your lifetime miles came from credit card spend, before that got shut down?

Truth is, at this stage, none of us will fly very much, so it won't be a burden on resources. And, it might be nice for once to see an airline really thank a pax's loyalty for a lifetime of business.
So AA gave you lifetime Platinum, where you need fly zero miles on a paid ticket in a year, and then you can come back in another year and still possibly get upgrades, lounge access internationally, and other benefits, but that's inadequate thanks, you want SWUs and lifetime unlimited domestic upgrades when you fly.

AA didn't promise you lifetime EXP. Maybe you should have flown UA instead of AA if you wanted an airline that would promise lifetime status at the highest levels if you flew enough. They give out lifetime 1K (3 million) and Global Services (4 million). Of course you actually would have had to fly, there wasn't a shortcut by using the credit card.
Beltway2A, wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

<redacted>

To the poster that asked about credit card miles, virtually none of my miles came from card spend.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 11, 2019 at 6:28 pm Reason: Redacted reply to deleted post
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
Sorry can't really feel sorry for you, like others have said if you wanted the highest lifetime status you should of considered a switch to UA a long time ago. I don't understand why someone who last flew regularly say 5 years ago and spends virtually nothing on AA now, should be upgraded over a PLT PRO who fly's somewhere between 90-119 segments a year now, and spends at least 9K a year on AA.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:26 pm

I think AA is playing the long game---it made the rules many years ago specifically to diss the OP.
hotintx and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP is upset that AA won't comp him lifetime EXP. That is not going to happen. At least not if EXP is to mean anything to others.

OP - Sit down and think about it. Someone who has earned PP is beat out for an UG by you who spent less and flew less and has no prospect of doing more in the future. By any metric, the PP is the "better" customer and rewarding someone else is not a smart thing for a for-profit business.
nancypants and Pittie Pup like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You failed to make the EQD and EQ Miles or Segments, clearly published requirements, last year, regardless of the reason. A few years ago, AA would have allowed a “soft” fall into the ne t status tier. They don’t do that any longer.

Nothing personal, nothing unexpected, they’re sticklers to go by the book because the Board allows Doug Parker to run the airline like that. D0 über alles, Oasis and all that, because AA will never lose money again, says he.

They do offer “buyback or boost” link

or

a targeted challenge link.

I’d say you were fortunate to be offered a challenge to retain Executive Platinum status.

Lest you think I’m being overly harsh, 17 years of consecutive EP here (more as Platinum), flown AA since the mid-1940s, 5,651,406 million miles, failed to meet EP criteria last year for some hardship reasons. I too will not be able to fly at previous levels. Lifetime Platinum will be (originally) unexpected and more than okay, and free me to use other airlines when that may be more convenient or economical. Look at it as an opportunity, as AA stepped up to offer you a favor - even though you admit you won’t be flying to past activity levels.

<redacted>

To the poster that asked about credit card miles, virtually none of my miles came from card spend.
No, I’m sorry, that’s actually irrelevant. Many of your miles for million miler status were bonus miles earned through status, class of service and probably some of the great bonus mile promos AA offered. Those counted through the end of 2011, and many of us know that.
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 11, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
AA has their rules for lifetime status. If they wanted to give lifetime EXP for 4 million miles, they would do that. It's not like they had such a program (AFAIK) and eliminated it. If they give certain benefits for "slightly under 4 million miles" why should you expect something different?

They gave you a challenge. In the case of travelers who were regularly EXP and had something unusual happen in 2018, this seems very reasonable. If you regularly fly at EXP levels, you can meet an EXP challenge, especially since you can time the 90-day period. So you have a few months of having to slum with the Plats and PP's.

"Shouldn't AA have a lifetime EXP status?" is a valid question. "Shouldn't AA give me lifetime EXP status when they don't give it to anyone else?" (which is sort of what you're asking for) isn't.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

If you regularly fly at EXP levels, you can meet an EXP challenge, especially since you can time the 90-day period
i guess you missed the part about health issues preventing me from flying at previous levels.

”Shouldn't AA have a lifetime EXP status?" is a valid question. "Shouldn't AA give me lifetime EXP status when they don't give it to anyone else?" (which is sort of what you're asking for) isn't
Yes, I get that. But, why bother giving me PLT status for life?

To the posters who suggested that I should have gone with UA, you’re right. But that would have meant too many ORD connections.

Last edited by JeffCarlin; Jan 11, 2019 at 6:22 pm
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry

My answer to your question above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.