Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Lost A Customer For Life (AA didn’t renew my CK)

AA Lost A Customer For Life (AA didn’t renew my CK)

Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
As any first year law student learns in their Contracts court: past performance is not valid as future consideration. Or, as Silvio put it in The Sopranos: "you're only as good as your last envelope".
GTITAN likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
They actually prefer people who fly less but pay more. AA has plenty of lifetime levels that can be attained.
So, one way or the other, it's about the money. As a retired occasional flyer, I pay less for my infrequent flights than I (rather, whoever was sending me out) paid for my frequent flights when I was working. Still, I found that when I used my miles to upgrade a full fare (paid by my employer) to first class, I wasn't treated quite the same as other passengers in 1st. On a flight with a meal, for example, I'd be among the last to be asked what I wanted to eat, and often they were out of my first choice.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Mike Rivers
So, one way or the other, it's about the money. As a retired occasional flyer, I pay less for my infrequent flights than I (rather, whoever was sending me out) paid for my frequent flights when I was working. Still, I found that when I used my miles to upgrade a full fare (paid by my employer) to first class, I wasn't treated quite the same as other passengers in 1st. On a flight with a meal, for example, I'd be among the last to be asked what I wanted to eat, and often they were out of my first choice.
Hmm, I don't think it works that way. Perhaps there might have been pre-orders or you might have been sitting in the "last seat" direction-wise for taking orders.
JDiver, Often1 and GFrye like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
In my many years of flying with AA, including many of upgrades, I’ve never experienced that. As laagima suggested, perhaps others had pre-ordered their meals?
nelsinho and Often1 like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Honestly, we hear all sorts of rants about how AA has bad service, doesn't understand so and so's status... and now we're supposed to believe that the FA's know who is on a rev ticket vs. upgraded. In all my AA flying (a lot), I've NEVER seen meals offered based on how someone got in the cabin. It's basically one direction - FEBO in the old days now flight direction.

The only airline that prioritized meal service that I recall was UA which, back in the day (I don't know about now) prioritized 1Ks over paid F which, I will say, p*ssed me off to no end.
nelsinho and rumboj like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by JMN57
Honestly, we hear all sorts of rants about how AA has bad service, doesn't understand so and so's status... and now we're supposed to believe that the FA's know who is on a rev ticket vs. upgraded. In all my AA flying (a lot), I've NEVER seen meals offered based on how someone got in the cabin. It's basically one direction - FEBO in the old days now flight direction.

The only airline that prioritized meal service that I recall was UA which, back in the day (I don't know about now) prioritized 1Ks over paid F which, I will say, p*ssed me off to no end.
The "last one offered a choice of meals" was on United, more than 10 years ago, and it happened more than once. The FA wasn't going row by row, but seemingly moving from seat to seat either randomly or according to some plan that wasn't who was closest. Perhaps that generalization no longer applies. But it was clear that the FA knew, at least generally, who the big spenders were. One time when I was the last in the chow line and there was only one meal option left, I directly asked the FA if they offered meal choices based on the passenger's fare, and he sheepishly admitted that was how they did it.

Of course it doesn't matter any more. And when I'm on United and ask for another one of those delicious waffle-like cookies that they serve with the still-free coffee, my request has never been denied.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Nothing sheepish at all. The policies used by how carriers take and alot meal orders are well known. Status and full fare passengers generally come first.

A less obvious way to do this is to simply take everyone's order row-by-row and then sort out who gets what in the galley. If indeed everyone's first choice can't be accommodated, only those people have to be told. As carriers move to pre-ordering, the reality is that most passengers will get what they want because it is what they ordered.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
I have a question: has the CK program been around for 10 years (as the OP claims he has been)?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canuckshark
I have a question: has the CK program been around for 10 years (as the OP claims he has been)?
Yes. Didn't you see Up in the Air?

ARCHIVE: Concierge Key AA Premium Service
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Wow! Had no idea. Thank you for the link.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by JMN57
now we're supposed to believe that the FA's know who is on a rev ticket vs. upgraded
I am pretty sure fare class is on the manifest, so I believe this info is actually available

Last edited by ikwia; Feb 17, 2019 at 3:09 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.