Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Lost A Customer For Life (AA didn’t renew my CK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Lost A Customer For Life (AA didn’t renew my CK)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Threads such as this must be fascinating for people in marketing. Not just at AA. They show just how far people will go and how emotionally attached they are to "status".

I do appreciate that at CK there may be tangible benefits which very much affect the nature of travel, but one wonders how much of a premium an air carrier can charge and still retain its customers in return for some TLC.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: 3mm AA 3mm UA 1m DL
I appreciate everyone’s great comments. Especially about high valued pasengers who are hostages to airline hubs. Many people who have flown millions of miles still do so presumptions that we no longer travel or don’t spend anymore don’t apply. AA and UA compete head on in Chicago NY California cities. Any high value traveller would opt for the one who recognizes both past and future loyalty. If AAs loyalty manager had to travel 3 mm miles on their own (pathetic) carrier as I have , the rules would be different. Thank you united for allowing me to give you my current and future business. thank you united for having a program which recognizes those who have travelled lots in the past and will do so in the future. After anyone else has flown 3m on each then let’s talk. Loyalty is one way w AA. Reciprocal with UA.
UAfreqflyer and Gringa like this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
I agree that CK is a business relationship and OP is "owed" nothing, but I am of the personal belief that this is "bad business" on AA's part.

And at one time, AA would have agreed:
1. they used to have a "soft landing" policy where if you failed to qualify to renew your status, the next year you'd get the status one below, no matter how badly you missed requalifying. I know this doesn't exactly apply here, but it shows a change in AA's overall attitude about this type of thing.
2. on 2 separate occasions during my ~13 year run as EXP, I had brief (3-4 week) periods where I wasn't flying. On both occasions, I got personal calls from AA checking to see why, and if it was because of anything they had done wrong. On one occasion, it was a medical-related hiatus, and they explicitly told me that if I was close to requalifying for EXP but didn't quite make it to call them back (gave me a name and means of contact) and that they'd take care of getting me EXP because of the circumstances.
Antarius, Gringa and mnhusker like this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UAfreqflyer
As one who had been pampered with CK, I can tell you that EXP is not nearly the same. Couple that with the decline in service and I will happily move back to UA where I am 1K for life. Anyone else experiencing declines in service quality and care for customers at AA?
I think you have answered your question - go back to UA with lifetime 1K. Your best option. If you had flown UA instead of AA for those 10 years you would be Lifetime UA GS. I think GS is better than CK. CK just recently became a new level above EXP, before was just EXP with special handling and AC membership for free.

UA has a program that covers long time flyers to retain top tier status - which goes all the way up to LT GS. If you want that - then avoid AA and fly UA with your LT status.

AA only provides LT Plat, likely because quals used to include CC spend. And there are many here who earn LT Plat by doing Manufactured Spending. There are some people with 75M LT miles on AA. So AA can't really give out LT EXP or LT CK since many people have high CC spend. UA program only gives LT status and MM status based on BIS.

Bottom line - go back to UA. Did you earn LT UA 1K from 3MM or from CO LT program from the past?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:58 pm

Rules is Rules

I had many years of one premium status or another on multiple airlines ... when I traveled a lot. Miss the perks, but I don't expect them now that my business travel has more or less ceased.

However, the difference between being treated nicely in first class, and like crap in coach pisses me off. There's no reason to treat non-premium travelers so poorly, but sadly, that's the business model the airlines have adopted.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & BoardRoom
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The problem that I see here is that you seem to be treating it as something other than a business relationship with AA...
...AA never had any feelings of loyalty to you - it is just a business...
The OP is left over from an earlier era that you don’t appear to be familiar with.

There was a time when businesses also offered appreciation and returned the loyalty that the customer gave. This used to be an integral part of the “business relationship” and included the understanding of extenuating circumstances and making the rare exception.

Its sad that so many like yourself only see numbers today.
Mendobrew, Gringa and mnhusker like this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ikwia
I agree that CK is a business relationship and OP is "owed" nothing, but I am of the personal belief that this is "bad business" on AA's part.

And at one time, AA would have agreed:
Unless you have a lot more information than that which has been provided by the OP, I am surprised that such a determination of what AA would have done can be made - AA knows a lot better about what value it attaches to the OP - perhaps if the OP had been a higher spender over the 10 years, it may have just renewed the person anyway.

What is "bad" imo is expecting a company to renew status when knowing that it

1. they used to have a "soft landing" policy where if you failed to qualify to renew your status, the next year you'd get the status one below, no matter how badly you missed requalifying. I know this doesn't exactly apply here, but it shows a change in AA's overall attitude about this type of thing.
The OP does have a form of "softish landing" since the OP still has EP status due to travel undertaken. Rather than be EP + CK , is noe just EP. Since there is no graduation of CK, how can there be a soft landing

If someone goes from enough to attain EP status to close to zero, does it make sense to give Platinum Pro for a year, then Platinum for a year and then to gold for a year thanks to one year's actvity being high?

2. on 2 separate occasions during my ~13 year run as EXP, I had brief (3-4 week) periods where I wasn't flying. On both occasions, I got personal calls from AA checking to see why, and if it was because of anything they had done wrong. On one occasion, it was a medical-related hiatus, and they explicitly told me that if I was close to requalifying for EXP but didn't quite make it to call them back (gave me a name and means of contact) and that they'd take care of getting me EXP because of the circumstances.
notably there it sais that if you were close to requalifying - there is no information that suggests that the OP was just a few dollars short of whatever AA expects. To best of my knowledge AA doesn't publish criteria for attaining and for retaining CK status
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:31 pm

Great point indeed. No excuse for the way coach travel is on mostly USA based carriers (except a rare few “non legacy “ carriers with consistently high customer satisfaction rates and obviously different hiring / screening prsctices ). Once the bean counters (who presumably sit behind desks and are aloof to how USA legacy carriers rank compared to many euro and Asian counterparts ) and further dilute the value of their own loyalty programs miles by constant devaluations in award charts and their ongoing successful efforts to limit accrual rates, one fine day the bean counters will get their due : and we will finally be able to untethered to their useless programs and can select quality carriers mostly foreign that offer superior service in all cabins by staff who are much more highly trained and customer oriented. Then the bean counters will have done their job by further running their companies into the ground. This day is nearing very soon.
arcticflier likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by c141heaven
I had many years of one premium status or another on multiple airlines ... when I traveled a lot. Miss the perks, but I don't expect them now that my business travel has more or less ceased.

However, the difference between being treated nicely in first class, and like crap in coach pisses me off. There's no reason to treat non-premium travelers so poorly, but sadly, that's the business model the airlines have adopted.
In my experience, it all depends on the FAs. I generally fly business/first, but I have sometimes been surprised, when in coach, at the friendly, caring service from some FAs. I had this experience last Sunday, for instance, flying AA384 MIA-LAX, 777-200 with every seat in the plane occupied. I handed out two above-and-beyond stickers to the FAs who worked my area. I have also had excellent service in coach while flying the AA regional carriers, usually young FAs doing the best job they can.

That's not to say this is the norm. I understand, and have been the "victim," of miserable service. But this isn't just in coach--sometimes it's the superannuated FAs working the "preferred" flights (e.g., LAX-PVG), who make business class flying lousy.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:33 am
Original Poster

OP WAS CK for 11 Years; Your Mortgage Please!

Originally Posted by hotintx
I would bet my mortgage on the fact he wasn't CK for 10 years.

To answer the question of "how can you say that, you don't know?" I know enough about the program to know that someone wouldn't be nominated for that long, and then "dropped" as OP suggest.
As the OP, I have the CK cards, statements and miles to prove that yes, in fact I was CK for actually 11 years (not the 10 I had thought originally). Not sure where you're getting your info from but why would I make this up? It's not getting me anything except some shade from people like you. Send me your address so I can stake my claim on your mortgage! Thanks!
danbrew and Gringa like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:44 am
Original Poster

3MM with UA actual miles
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
With Wall Street becoming more and more obtrusive in public company operations the bean counter mentality isn't going away anytime soon. WN is willing to stand up to the gods but then WN is able to post the kind of results that can easily be defended. OP I'm not sure what you expect. We could agree with you but AA makes the decision. The ONLY thing you can do is either accept it and continue to fly AA hoping to re-obtain an invitation to CX or walk away and take your business elsewhere. Ultimately none of this discussion is germane to the issue at hand.

Maybe as a "hail mary" send an email or snail mail to Doug Parker direct but your probably wasting your time.
arcticflier likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:44 am

Great point re WN and Wall Street.

As for engaging Doug Parker and his so-called loyalty “manager” , if they cared about customers and their loyalty they would have a real loyalty program with a real million miler program versus precipitating their own demise overfocusing on short term $ at expense of long term customers who now give their additional substantial travel to carriers who show respect for their customers. This means if your a hub hostage in chicago New York or calif and plan a future with lots of travel AA is wasting your time. I hope others learn from my mistakes after flying over 3mm in their anemic program.
Gringa and mnhusker like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hotintx
...To answer the question of "how can you say that, you don't know?" I know enough about the program to know that someone wouldn't be nominated for that long, and then "dropped" as OP suggest.
No, you don't.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:02 pm

It's not unusual and don't take it so hard. I know a retired CEO of a multinational company who for 30+ years was always at the highest FF level on a EU airline. After retirement he was dropped like a stone. He didn't actually care. He was golf buddies with the CFO of the airline and never mentioned it once.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.